Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276193 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #765 on: 15:14:06, 28/06/19 »
Forecast today was for very hot and windy so we made an early start for a walk over the hills and through the valleys of Exmoor behind Porlock.  The wind bit was right - we were actually quite cold over the hilly sections but when we dropped down into the wooded valley we were grateful for the shade as the wind disappeared.  There was a surprising amount of water about too, some of the fords were interesting but we stayed dry shod.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #766 on: 15:43:49, 28/06/19 »
I had a walk yesterday, just beyond Portsmouth, part of which is one on my running routes. I'd always noticed a worn path to the right of my normal route so I thought I'd follow it. I felt just like an explorer, it twisted and turned over fallen trees, under low branches, and through gaps between a number of bushes. I then suddenly came across a stream and a very attractive little open glade, just perfect for a picnic!

I have been doing my normal running route for a few years and see people now and again on this track but have never seen anyone on the other track, so now I'm wondering who is using it?

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #767 on: 21:54:33, 05/07/19 »
I stayed in Dover this week and walked the famous White Cliffs, on Tuesday walking from Hythe via Folkestone to Dover, and on Wednesday walking from Deal to Dover.   On Thursday I walked from Littlestone-on-Sea to Lydd via Dungeness.  Every day was hot and sunny    :)   Fantastic!  I saw a lot of waymarkers for the England Coast Path.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #768 on: 22:33:01, 09/07/19 »
A quite walk out around the local fields and lanes this evening.  Realy happy to note that several local gates and Stiles have been rebuilt since I last walked that route in the spring.  Including one completely new walkers gate, bounded by a brand new stone wall.  Someone has put in a fair lump of money..  O0

Who does pay for such things?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #769 on: 19:42:06, 12/07/19 »
A short local section of the SWCP with MrsG today.  From Rame head to Port Winkle. The finish point is only  afew miles from our home. Yet we had never walked the few miles, accross the Mod ranges, in all these years.  Even more strange as I once ran a project based at fort Tregantle.  Nice little stretch any way and better late than never ay :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #770 on: 22:07:49, 12/07/19 »
Up to the Avon Dam and the Zeal Tramway today.  First walk for over a week after a really nasty cold.  I've still got no puff and coughing well. 
We retraced part of a route that scared me to death as a young teenager at Outward Bound School - so seared into my memory I can still remember the route I took across the moors after over 50 years.  It involved a solo overnight under a tarp followed by a long trek in near zero vis with a map so out of date the Avon Dam wasn't on it and the 2 Moors Way was not a thing.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #771 on: 22:24:59, 18/07/19 »
Tor bagging above Ivybidge after work.  Parked up at Hartford Moor Gate and grabbed Tor Rocks. Over Butterdon Hill to Crebber rocks. Then North to Old Hill Tor, that one is hidden away amongst the tusocks.  Up to Quick beam Hill and finaly jogged back along the old railway track to the car.  Happy to manage the 11 mile route in 3 hours.

The Zeal tram way was visible for much of the route.  Been a while since I walked that area. Thanks for the idea Ninthace.
« Last Edit: 22:38:48, 18/07/19 by BuzyG »

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #772 on: 13:30:50, 19/07/19 »

I'm going to Thirsk on Sunday for an Arts and Crafts event, Art in the Pens. Then I'm booked into a farmhouse B & B for two nights at Kilburn. Mon and Tues walking. I've done a bit there before, White Horse, Sutton Bank. Got the map, will explore a bit more.

ilona

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #773 on: 19:57:20, 22/07/19 »
I went a circular walk today from Arundel via Houghton Bridge and North and South Stoke.  A beautiful walk on the South Downs and by the river Arun.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #774 on: 04:48:02, 28/07/19 »
I’ve just spent Monday-Friday walking along parts of the Durham coast. The main purpose of the hol was to do some beach combing (one of my favourite things to do when I’m away), as i’d been told there were some good beaches for collecting sea glass & other more unusual treasures.
I’ve come home with quite a selection of lovely bits & pieces! I’ll post some pics soon O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #775 on: 08:28:32, 28/07/19 »
I’ve just spent Monday-Friday walking along parts of the Durham coast. The main purpose of the hol was to do some beach combing (one of my favourite things to do when I’m away), as i’d been told there were some good beaches for collecting sea glass & other more unusual treasures.
I’ve come home with quite a selection of lovely bits & pieces! I’ll post some pics soon O0

Yes please, I'd like to see what you found. I've searched the banks of the Humber but not found much. I need to go further afield.  ;D 

I picked up some dead seaweed at Orkney last year. The plan was to dry it and use it stitched into a collage. Still haven't done it, but it's looking a bit gross now.

ilona

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #776 on: 09:01:52, 28/07/19 »
I picked up some dead seaweed at Orkney last year. The plan was to dry it and use it stitched into a collage. Still haven't done it, but it's looking a bit gross now.

ilona

Hmm - with seaweed, the smell of the sea is all too easily replaced by the smell of the sewer, Ilona!

My best find was a ship's lifebelt.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #777 on: 15:26:04, 29/07/19 »
We have been up in the Quantock Hills today for the first time.  What a glorious area!  We walked along some interconnected ridges with the heather in full bloom and views across the Bristol Channel to Wales and, on the English side, from Dunkery Beacon round to the Mendips.  Then we dropped down into a glorious wooded stream valley with multiple fords before climbing back up for some more views as we got back to the car park.  Lunch at the Carew Arms in Crowcombe was pleasant too.  The area is now on the do it again list.
Solvitur Ambulando

Florence Lamb

« Reply #778 on: 17:55:24, 29/07/19 »
Well, I am off to visit Arran tomorrow - will be my fourth visit to Arran.  Looking forward to a walk up Goat Fell.  Staying at Seal Shore campsite....
Then I am back for two days and then going  to do some walking at Aberaeron for a few days  - can't wait! :)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #779 on: 19:59:32, 29/07/19 »
I walked the Chidham peninsular today, a serenely beautiful walk beside some of the creeks and marshes of Chichester Harbour.  There were boats on the water, lots of wild flowers, and some glorious solitude.  Warm and sunny    :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy