Author Topic: How's Kinder?  (Read 5231 times)

rodd

Re: How's Kinder?
« Reply #15 on: 18:18:01, 02/02/09 »
We finally managed to go up Kinder this Saturday... :D! i took the missus and my 8 year old daughter. All with a good level of fitness but we decided to keep to a short route since my daughter was with us.

We took the route around ringing roger, across Nether Tor and Upper Tor then followed the edge to Grindsbrook Clough were we descended via the rocks and waterfalls.

Have to say it was a stunning trip, particularly coming down Grindsbrook clough. I'm kicking myself because i'd left my camera in the boot of the car, otherwise i'd have had lots of pics to post.  After doing a few walks in the lakes, (langdale pikes, Hawkeshead, catbells) I'd say the beauty of this place rivals anything the lakes has to offer. Yes the summits are higher and the mountains are typically mountainous, but the overall effect is just the same. The  natural beauty that makes you think about the world around you and how it has evolved. Majestic and grandeur to the last step and without doubt my favorite place in the Peak District.

We were wondering about the other Cloughs and ways up/down, are they as adventurous and scenic as Grindsbrook?

Rodd.

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:34:35, 02/02/09 »
Hi Rodd.
To me the northern side of Kinder Scout offers some of the best routes up from the snake road.
The bonus also is that it is very quiet. To me the walk up Fairbrook is by far the best way up onto Kinder.blackden clough is also reccommended.

The view towards Fairbrook.

After a few more outing in the high peak you could always try Wildboar Clough at the northern end of Bleaklow,the most challenging way up any clough in the peak district.

Mark

scenic

« Reply #17 on: 22:59:59, 02/02/09 »
Cheers for description.

We decided to give Kinder a go yesterday (Sunday), a rough sort of route from Barber Booth......

Glad to hear you enjoyed a day out visiting Kinder. Your route sounds a good one (it's possible to do one very similar but starting from Hayfield).

In icy conditions Jacobs Ladder is awkward as the stone steps become icy, offering no grip at all. But the plateau itself becomes wonderfully friendly - the peat bogs are frozen hard so that you can just walk across them, and similarly with the groughs, you can easily drop into and clamber out of them.

Drought or frost, best Kinder conditions.
Life without spice is like food without flavour

rodd

« Reply #18 on: 16:19:02, 03/02/09 »
To me the walk up Fairbrook is by far the best way up onto Kinder.

Hi thanks for that, i'll definetly check that out on the OS map. Is there anywhere to park thats preferably not a million miles away from Fairbrook. I prefer to do the walking on the tops and not on roads getting there.

Can you recommend a nice circular route that would allow the option to either descend or ascend via Fairbrook?

Thanks again guys. You've been great help! O0

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:44:17, 03/02/09 »
Hi Rodd,

There's parking at Birchen Clough on the A57. Cross the road and descend into the wood then follow the river downstream. Unfortunately you have to climb back up to the road and walk alongside it for a couple of hundred yards as there is private land. Just past the Snake Inn there is a path (not marked on OS maps but marked on the ground by a fingerpost) that takes you back to the river and a foot bridge across to the start of Fairbrook Clough.

For a nice circular walk descend back to Birchen Clough via the Snake path. I've done this walk and it's a good one although meeting a naked man whilst walking along Kinder's edge was a bit of an unexpected shock! :o
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:34:20, 03/02/09 »
Hi Rodd

Yes there is a large car park at Birchen Clough. But if you want to climb Fairbrook the best place to start is at the snake inn where there is plenty of lay-bys at the side of the road.
A good walk of around 8-9 miles is to start at the Snake Inn cross over to pick up the path that takes you to fairbrook. The start of Fairbrook is pleasant walking next to stream and offering fantastic views. Fairbrook like Grindsbrook is not steep but there is some scrambling at the top to get onto the plateau. From here you have two choices to follow the path along Kinder's northern edge or personally The way id go is to take a compass bearing across the plateau and aim for Kinder Downfall. From where I follow the Pennine way to the junction with the Snake Path. Which you follow descending all the way back to the Snake Road. A short road walk of about 200m will bring you back at the Snake Inn and a well earned pint. Choice a clear day it can be hard crossing the plateau in mist. Enjoy

scenic

« Reply #21 on: 18:51:56, 03/02/09 »
The way id go is to take a compass bearing across the plateau and aim for Kinder Downfall.

Yes indeed. That is the way to do it!

scenic

« Reply #22 on: 18:57:52, 03/02/09 »
Unfortunately you have to climb back up to the road and walk alongside it for a couple of hundred yards as there is private land.

Peakbagger, are you sure that land is private. My OS map shows it to be access land? Is my OS map wrong, out of date perhaps??

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:45:28, 03/02/09 »
Peakbagger, are you sure that land is private. My OS map shows it to be access land? Is my OS map wrong, out of date perhaps??

The rectangle of land between the road and river at SK111906 (copy & paste the coordinate to Multimap and zoom in to 1:25000 level) is a farm and there is no access to it or any ROW across it. It's only a short walk beside the road and the verge has a well worn path so you're not actually on the road as such.
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

Maverick

« Reply #24 on: 21:30:19, 12/03/09 »
hey all was up peak district last week weather was amazing, went up kinder grindsbrook was a laugh scrambling up there lol my first real walk and im not too good with heights (am alot better now though just exposure i need me thinks) we cut across the platue and the peat bogs were an adventure to get across definately dont leave your gaiters at home, saw a mountain hare up there looked pretty sereal still had its white coat on.

Dan.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy