Author Topic: Tent Comparisons  (Read 9488 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Tent Comparisons
« Reply #30 on: 22:18:42, 25/02/18 »

I'm glad Alan mentioned the ice cream container - It made me go and check how big it was - when I went in the freezer there was a 900 mil container with some triple choc left in it.

It was lovely O0

It wasn't the stuff from Aldi was it ?
Lovely it is - very naughty, but I will occasionally scrape out the tub when the family have had the rest.

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #31 on: 22:26:30, 25/02/18 »
Yes it was - the rules go out of the door with icecream - there's no sharing with me.
'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 10:33:30, 26/02/18 »
I'm never keen to put anything wet into my rucksack, especially my tent which is wet most mornings, either due to rain or dew. My usual routine is after a couple of hours hiking, when the sun is properly out and I fancy a rest, is to just unroll my tent and lay it on the grass for a good dryout. It drys quickly so when ready I roll it up again, put it into its sausage bag, secure and be on my way. I carry a plastic container, I bought it in Hobbycraft, it fits perfectly in my Osprey top bag, great for my nuts, chocky bars and so on.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 17:02:19, 28/02/18 »
I often wonder what we all take when we go hiking? I couldn't even know how to fill a 65L rucksack?

Carry everything in it, not strapped to the top and have a bulky sleeping bag and tent - and that's your extra litres made up easy

KimE

« Reply #34 on: 07:12:50, 03/03/18 »

[font=]I wouldn`t feel comfortable with a 7Denier flysheet on a tent save your money.
[font=]

[font=]

[font=]

[font=]Tent 'footprint' is 0.23kg.  
[font=]

[font=]Do you need a footprint? [font=]
[font=&amp]
[font=]My sleeping bag is a candidate for weight reduction being a Vango Wilderness (rated 5 / 0 / -15) and weighs 1.5kg inc stuff sack.
[font=]

[font=]Mine -1c sleeping bag weights 0,81kg
[font=&amp]
[font=]Self Inflating Sleeping mat weighs in at 0.99kg.
[font=]

[font=]My sleeping mat weights 0,45kg
[font=&amp]
[font=&amp]
[font=]Total weight of 'cooking equipment' comes in at 1.4Kgs
[font=]

[font=]Mine gasstove with cup/kåsa and spork weights 0,4kg add a gas canister 400g, waterbottle 20g.

Troggy

« Reply #35 on: 23:15:29, 21/03/18 »
Hello Alan,
What a good discussion you've started!
Is the Naturhike tent the 2 man, front entrance one, or is it a side entrance tent? Anyway, I to have been looking at tents (as if I ain't got enough already!) but I think the retail therapy temptation is a hard one to resist, it is  for me anyway!

A naturehike tent was featured by a fellow member and he seems very pleased with the result, so I'm tempted to try one. I've got an oldish Tarptent Double Rainbow that I bought off ebay that I've sewn in lightweight nylon panels over the mesh. A bit Heath Robinson and I'll be giving it a try when the weather relents and see if it works.

If it does, then I've got a tent that weighs around 1.6kg with plenty of room and two doorways, four doors, which is the style of tent I prefer.

I put myself also in the "rather careful with my dosh" category; but I'm also tempted in the winter by whats on ebay! Hence the collection of tents and rucksacks! As some of our members are really long distance walking, then I think they would always be looking to keep their kit as lightweight as they can get it; and making their own gear.

I remember reading an article by Showell Styles who, at 70, walked the Owain Glyndwr Way and the title was "Over 70, under 20" and he had a kit, including food, which weighed just under 20lbs. Fantastic really, considering the advances there have been since the mid eighties on kit materials. If I can find it, I'll print on here.

As for me, I fully intend to be a lightweight camper before setting off on any adventure...but always end up carrying the kitchen sink!

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 23:51:35, 21/03/18 »

Hello Alan,
What a good discussion you've started!
Is the Naturhike tent the 2 man, front entrance one, or is it a side entrance tent? Anyway, I to have been looking at tents (as if I ain't got enough already!) but I think the retail therapy temptation is a hard one to resist, it is  for me anyway!

I have the 2-man 'front-loader' which I think has been renamed to "Cloud Up Ultralight", It is 1.6kg all in (inc the footprint) Mine is a 'greeny' colour and has 8000HH water resistance (The latest ones are 4000HH)
If you are interested in this one at 'the right price' drop me a message.

But the one I have just purchased is a 'Side-loader' and is a copy of the MSR Hubba Hubba NX and is manufactured / supplied by 'WolfWise' (rather than NatureHike). All in weight 1.8ks without footprint

It has full sitting height inside (1 metre). I have gone for the 'green' version

Troggy

« Reply #37 on: 11:13:43, 22/03/18 »
I thought it might be the one with the doors at the front and I saw that said tent being reviewed by a feller on Youtube. It is a lot of tent for the money but I would only buy a transverse ridge one, as I find it a hell of a contortion to try and get out of a front door tent, whereas the "sideloader" you mention, I find a lot more comfortable to get in and out of.. and to lie there and make a nice brew.

I've looked at the Naturehike "Star River" 2 man tent and it looks excellent, except for all that mesh. Thats why I decided not to get one; and have a go at sewing in the panels of my "Double Rainbow...and see how I get on with that. The Double Rainbow has excellent dimensions, both for the internal space a the porches.

Internal Height 43" or 109 cm, Width 52"/132cm, length 244cm, or just on 8ft. Porches 8ft and 1ft 8"/50cms wide (might be a bit wider than that) so it's got a lot of good points. The only real thing I'd like different is that it was a nice dark green instead of a ghostly grey!

I'll be giving it a try outafter easter and see how it goes.

Thanks for the thought about the naturehike and the details. I might well be after one if my experiment fails!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 11:27:10, 22/03/18 »
I've reached an age now where I couldn't live with a front entrance tent. All of the tents I've owned are side entrances, for me so much easier. Have you looked at the Cinch tent on www.kickstarter.com, the way forward perhaps?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 11:48:04, 22/03/18 »
At 5Kg, no way. The Cinch tent may be OK for car campers but carrying that weight on top of everything else puts it in the unfeasible bin for backpackers.

P.S. how you getting on with your bivvi? I'm thinking seriously of the DD super light pyramid tent, since I could not use my coffin tent fly only.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Troggy

« Reply #40 on: 13:18:33, 22/03/18 »
Too right Gunwharfman, I had a Saunders Lite Hike donkeys years ago, and even then I enjoyed how light it was but just staring up at the light blue roof was enough for me, then trying to get out in the night decided me...no more front door tents! I got a Caravan Kaipak in the mid eighties, which was about 2.4kg but was brilliant for it's space, height and 4 doors. The Double Rainbow is similar but about half the weight.

I've also got a Coleman Novae 2, which is out of production now but I got it off Ebay (another sodding tent!) but it looks unused, it's a side opener, has two doorways (one on each side, and looks a decent tent. It's got bags of room width wise but is only 90 cms high. Still, it's decent weight for a 2 man tent at 1.9kg all in and I'll have a go at it should the D/R experiment not work.

I had a look at the Cinch; but I once tried to "un-pop" a pop up tent and made a miserable failure of it! For car camping I've got an Ozark trail 4 man tent that weighs 5kg and bought it at a car bootie for a fiver. It's been brilliant so far. Its olive green, has a massive porch and is side opening, mesh and solid inner doors with windows in the sides of the porch that have their own covers.

I liked the look of the MSR Hubba Hubba HP with the more solid inner but just thought it was more than I would want to pay for a tent.

Troggy

« Reply #41 on: 15:34:22, 24/03/18 »
Alan, I'll be selling a Cumulus Quantum (780gms) in excellent nick, that might suit you. Check out one or two reviews if it might be of interest.
I think I mentioned somewhere that Showell Styles wrote an account in the mid 80's,  of his walk acroos Glyndwr's Way when he was over 70.
The title was Seventy Plus, Twenty Minus. I'll have to precis it a bit as I ran out of time trying top do the total contents,

Rucksack (Cheapo cobmaster, no frame but he got some light bamboo rods and made one)   1lb 06oz                                              Wash kit                    12oz
Tent 40odd year old Blacks Good Companions Minor                                                                 4lb 01oz                                              knife, spoon
Sleeping Bag                                                                                                                               3lb 06oz                                             Mug  Bowl +
Surfrider (childrens Li Lo)                                                                                                                   09oz                                            candler holder             08oz 
Stove  (Bluet 200+Gas cartridge)                                                                                                 1lb 08oz                                            F/A, Compass, Map
Pyjamas                                                                                                                                             13oz                                            Notebook &Pencil         11oz
Sweater                                                                                                                                              07oz                                            Tissues                         02oz
Towel                                                                                                                                                  03oz                                            Food and Drink
Wind/waterproofs (Anorak and Trousers)                                                                                          12oz                                            Bread                            08oz
                                                                                                                                                                                                               Sugar                            08oz
                                                                                                                                                                                                               4 Eggs                           11oz
                                                                                                                                                                                                               Cheese, Butter               04oz ea
Then finished off with another 1lb  6oz of tea marmalade, Biscuits teabags, seets

He'd relenish on the way and he reckoned the Bluet 200 lasted him the week. He also had a couple of pints and the occasional meal, if he came across a wayside hostelry (a truer knight of the highways and byways) The whole lot came to 19lb  13oz
It's a fascinating insight into the "lightweight Camper" of 30 odd years ago

Troggy

« Reply #42 on: 15:48:15, 24/03/18 »
Ps, I had to shorten the list as I was running out of time but he reckoned that the Bluet Stove boiled all his soups, eggs and teas on the journey, which totalled 13 brews and he tested the stove when he got back home and it did another half dozen boil ups. Good old Bluet 200...still got my old one of them...come to think of it, I've still got my Good Companions from 1970 and I might have a go at giving it a try out.
He had no spare socks or footwear but reckoned he'd get by with a walk lasting over 6 nights.
He was a great character and I think his book, "The Campers and Trampers Week-End book was the one that set me off with a love of camping. All I need now is to practice a bit of what he did, and cut the weight of my gear down...drastically!

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 16:27:12, 24/03/18 »

Alan, I'll be selling a Cumulus Quantum (780gms) in excellent nick, that might suit you. Check out one or two reviews if it might be of interest.

Thanks for the offer but I went for the Chinese copy of the MSR Hubba Hubba NX2 and due to 'circumstances;' ended up with 2 for £74.99 (the MSR version being £300-£400 (for one)

Troggy

« Reply #44 on: 17:03:01, 24/03/18 »
Yeh! Excellent! Isn't it great when you get a bargain even more of a bargain than you expected. No botherr, about the bag, it'll be going on ebay when IO can get round to putting it on. Let me kow if you wish to sell the spare one.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy