Author Topic: This sceptered Isle  (Read 984 times)

rambling oldie

This sceptered Isle
« on: 12:50:27, 18/10/20 »
I came across this 1943 film (travelogue/wartime propaganda) when browsing the Modern Antiquarian site. 

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-the-peoples-land-1943-online

It's dated but rather nicely sums up the specialness of our countryside.  It's short but worth a watch, IMHO
I've sent it to our MP, as the government is about to debate the Environment Bill.   Not sure whether Covid will prevent minds being focused on such things, but you never know.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: This sceptered Isle
« Reply #1 on: 13:10:18, 18/10/20 »
Very romantic by todays standards , but some lovely film of days gone by. I like the idea that many of those villages still look much the same now , except for way too many cars and street signs .
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:03:39, 19/10/20 »
I watched part of it, to me, a fairy-tale view of life and a world that I personally believe never existed to start with. I also think that Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse made some good observations (and comedy) of that view of England, a world fit for the Chumley-Warners maybe but nobody else. My parents lived in a totally different world and I'm sure so did a lot of our parents.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:30:06, 22/10/20 »
Wow, that was a very heartwarming and uplifting video, especially in to days day and age.
Apart from the heavy industry, which thankfully has now disappeared, nothing really has changed.

The walking gear and mode of transport certainly has, but i was half expecting the young campers to be glued to their mobile phones.
It just goes to show, how certain areas of the UK have remained the same for centuries, and take away the people in this video, and it could almost have been taken recently.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:08:33, 22/10/20 »
I agree with Dyffryn about certain areas of the UK still appearing unchanged . Many villages and rural areas still look much the same apart from some obvious modern day contraptions , such as wheelie bins , cars and signage etc. . I love walking through some really old villages dating back centuries , when it feels like going back in time.

I was brought up on a council estate so I think I know what GWM was alluding to , but methinks Harry Enfields view shown in his sketches are mainly held by tourists from overseas , who arrive thinking everywhere looks like the images in the UK travel brochures , with pictures of the Costwolds .

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:11:39, 22/10/20 »
Just don't get me going about wheely bins!  >:(

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:25:14, 22/10/20 »
Just don't get me going about wheely bins!  >:(
I`ve just hosed ours down and they are all shiny and scented again , back in their cubby hole.....What have you got against wheelie bins . ? Don`t tell me... ;)

rambling oldie

« Reply #7 on: 17:54:42, 22/10/20 »
I think one of the main points in the film was near the end when the narrator said it's up to the people to ensure these good things aren't lost.
Nowadays this means support the National Trust, English Heritage, Forest Enterprise etc by footfall, support the various county countryside services by reporting dodgy stiles and signage to help them justify their existence and most importantly give our MPs some stick. Doubtless there are other bodies and ways of giving support.
Rant over!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:12:11, 22/10/20 »
My issue with wheely bins is more and more proplr no longer put them away in their gardens, they often now just stay on the street glaring ugliness!

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:09:10, 22/10/20 »
My issue with wheely bins is more and more proplr no longer put them away in their gardens, they often now just stay on the street glaring ugliness!
I have been to the market town of Chipping Campden many times to walk from or through , and every time I have been , there were wheelie bins strewn around. I took photos of the high street and surroundings , and they stood out like a sore thumb. Photoshopping them out , just doesn`t make up for it.. :(

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:06:17, 23/10/20 »
Perfumed wheelie Bins :o ;D
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy