Author Topic: Some wild camping tips from the BBC  (Read 1338 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Some wild camping tips from the BBC
« on: 10:38:14, 03/07/19 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07f9rsd

At the very end please note the road! Would I really camp that near to a road, well I wouldn't!

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: Some wild camping tips from the BBC
« Reply #1 on: 12:48:03, 03/07/19 »
Didn't mention Leave No Trace once... perhaps the most integral of all the 'Wild Camping Rules'.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:23:43, 03/07/19 »
Looks like the tent is pitched with the wind blowing directly into the entrance.....

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:30:46, 03/07/19 »

Didn't like the way that the camera panned along the water source when she was talking about finding a private place to use as a toilet.

Good view of Quinaig from the tent though!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:07:01, 03/07/19 »
Looks like the tent is pitched with the wind blowing directly into the entrance.....
I wish I could have done that a couple of nights ago, but that would have put me head downhill. I was glad of the vents, but it was still a stuffy night.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:55:48, 03/07/19 »
I wish I could have done that a couple of nights ago, but that would have put me head downhill. I was glad of the vents, but it was still a stuffy night.

That's where a side-opening tent scores, because you can sleep with your head at either end!  :)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:56:29, 03/07/19 »
Unfortunately a great many folk seem to thing that this is wild camping, i.e. pull off onto the verge pitch your tent leave a mess and [censored] off. The end result is the camping ban in and around the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs NP.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:47:15, 03/07/19 »

You can just picture the scene:

"Cut!"
"Right, that's it for the day - let's get out of this ****hole and back to the hotel in Inverness"

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:43:17, 04/07/19 »
Well you have to start somewhere.  At least it wasn't on a camp site.  Did notice the campervan parked up a few hundred yards away though.  As someone who doesn't camp, all I can say is.  Not my idea of wild.

Doddy

« Reply #9 on: 12:14:37, 07/07/19 »
With many nights of wild camping behind me. I try and get out of sight of roads, rails, farms,habitation,likely dog walking routes and other campers. I often use woodland to hide away in. No fires and Bar B Qs. Camp late- 8pm or later in summer with an 8am depart or earlier. Leave no trace- even putting pack ground preenings of twigs, cones, stones.
 I also  avoid torch use as much as possible as they can be seen for miles and attracts curiosity. I avoid being near water as it attracts bugs; near lakes, lochs it is a colder and often windier; streams seem to get noisier as the night goes on.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:25:00, 07/07/19 »

Arrive late
Leave early
Be discreet
Leave nothing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy