Author Topic: Walking with Dogs  (Read 1545 times)

Little Foot

Walking with Dogs
« on: 11:30:11, 01/01/20 »
Hi all. I'm just after opinions on if I should take my dog for a walk.  ;D

Ok, it's not as simple as that. My dog is a cross breed, a Coton de Tulear mixed with a Shih Tzu, so is fairly small, and definitely a lap dog. She's five years old, healthy and in her prime I'd say. On Friday I hope to do the first leg of the Yorkshire Wolds Way, from Hessle to South Cave, which is around 11.5 miles. The weather looks to be fine which is a good.

Now my dog doesn't much like wet weather and will often drag me back home if it's too bad. With all the wet weather we have had lately I'm worrying that the walk might be waterlogged in places and she will end up having a large amount of her covered in water and mud. She does have a padded coat to help keep her dry of course, but that might not help much if she is up to her belly in water. She's not long haired at the moment.

She's been on a couple of walks of similar distance last year but it was a lot dryer and warmer then. Another thing is livestock, I'd not be confident taking her through a field of cows (purely because of the mad cows lol), but I'm not sure if that will be an issue on this journey.

So, would people take her, or leave her with my folks to lounge about in the garden.

Thanks for any advice and tips.  :)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking with Dogs
« Reply #1 on: 11:40:19, 01/01/20 »
I don’t have dogs, so take that into account in my reply. At first reading it appears that you are a little bit worried about whether you dog will be up to the walk. Perhaps you you should go with your first thoughts and leave the dog behind this time. I wouldn’t want o be worrying about my dog during the walk (if I had one).

Little Foot

« Reply #2 on: 11:46:35, 01/01/20 »
Thanks for the reply.

If she was bigger then it wouldn't be much of an issue, water wouldn't get much further then her knees then lol. I don't want her to miss out though if the route is ok.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:06:01, 01/01/20 »
Hmm - tricky one as only you know your dog. If in doubt I would choose a shorter walk, or have an option to bail out if she has had enough.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Too little, too late, too bad......

Little Foot

« Reply #5 on: 08:42:26, 02/01/20 »
Take the dog
You should also be prepared to carry it.
Take one of these:-https://www.amazon.co.uk/BUYGOO-Carrier-Comfortable-Durable-Shoulder/dp/B07P9XBJRB/ref=zg_bs_13154119031_14?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0PFXMQCPMBNJRQXD6XQY

Haha. I once tried putting my dog in my bicycle basket, which didn't go well at all.

I think I'm going to leave her with the folks, I think we might be pushing it for time on the trip as it is, without a dog stopping to sniff every five minutes.

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:43:45, 04/01/20 »

I can tell you carrying 20kg of springer back down the Llanberis path isn't as easy as it looks! I earned my dinner and pint that day  :o

I wouldn't want to do 11.5 miles if my legs were shih-tzu sized to be honest  ;D

Little Foot

« Reply #7 on: 17:06:46, 04/01/20 »
My dog had the day with the folks, and went to the park which is a good things as it ended up being over 13 miles that we did, and I'm certainly paying for it today lol. The first 8 miles at least were easy, fairly level, not muddy really, and I thought my dog would have been fine. That changed in the later stages and there was a couple of areas where we were ankle deep in mud. Still, I think that would have been less of a challenge than getting my dog into a ruck sack lol.

I thought Springers had relentless energy Sleepy?  Looks like you certainly deserved a treat after that haul!

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:44:16, 04/01/20 »
She did..... that was the heartbraking day I had to admit she was getting a little bit more "senior" she's had quite a busy life

Little Foot

« Reply #9 on: 22:17:30, 04/01/20 »
Aww... that's brought a tear to my eye Sleepy.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #10 on: 19:34:21, 05/01/20 »
Personally I would get a dog back pack carrier for your dog. Also not sure if your dog is use to long walks but buy some mushers secret it's a wax for paws incase they get sore. I always walk with my dog but he's a husky so hes never tired and 11 miles is a doddle. ;D  I have seen some little dogs totally exhausted on our walks so be prepared to carry him.

Little Foot

« Reply #11 on: 21:33:26, 06/01/20 »
Thanks for the info, I shall check those out Toxicbunny. Maybe I should get a bigger dog like yours to carry my smaller one lol

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:52:40, 06/01/20 »
Big dogs are not always able to walk further than smaller dogs. A number of years ago, I organised a sponsored walk around Bennachie for about 160 people (and their dogs). The walk was about 11 miles or so and took in 4 different tops with a total ascent of over 3,000 feet. At the barbecue afterwards it was easy to see which dogs had the most energy. The Jack Russells and Westies were leaping up to try and snaffle a sausage of burger. The larger dogs, such as German Shepherds were crashed out and didn’t pay any attention to the meat whatsoever.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #13 on: 22:27:23, 06/01/20 »
Maybe the bigger dogs were not accustomed to walking that far. I definitely would not be walking westies or jack Russell's 11 miles. I walk the moors a couple of times a week and I feel sorry for some of the small dogs I see up there exhausted.  I witnessed a dachshund collapse and overheat.
Any dog should be built up to walk from the age of 18 months onwards when their bones have grown other wise they can get hip dysplasia. My own personal opinion depending on the distance you walk working breeds are the best for walking long distances as long as they are use to it. My dog is a great walker I built him up doing longer distances slowly. I walk him on hard and soft ground so his pads are tough. Huskies are a hardy breed so he's built for it. As long as you take plenty of water for them to drink and don't walk in the heat you will be ok. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy