Author Topic: Hey from London!  (Read 1007 times)

Estevens90

Hey from London!
« on: 07:52:59, 07/09/19 »
Hi Everyone,

I'm Ellie, 29, from London.

I've been toying with the idea of solo hiking/travelling for a while and have decided that to celebrate my 30th birthday next year in may, I will embark on a solo multi day hike.

Where to, I have no idea.

I'm a seasoned camper and relatively fit through cycling. I am no hiker though, that's for sure.

I initially looked at walking the South Downs Way and then looked into the lake district (which I hiked some fifteen years ago at school!) I'd like to do a linear trip, rather than a circuit or a horseshoe and will be looking for campsites along the way.

I have nine months to prepare- is this mucu preparation even required?!

Any advice, book recommendations, solo hiking experiences are very much welcome!

Happy travels!

Ellie

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Hey from London!
« Reply #1 on: 08:12:38, 07/09/19 »
Welcome from Manchester  :)

You won't need nine months, but it's definitely worth getting accustomed to increasing distances walking with a backpack, including some hills if possible.

There are plenty of LDPs (Long Distance Paths) and waymarked trails that would be a good introduction, many have good campsites along the way. I've done a few of these (see our site) but wild camping.

Estevens90

« Reply #2 on: 08:17:02, 07/09/19 »
I'm going through a job change, which allows me time through the week, which I planned on doing shorter walks close to london to help get used to walking with a backpack between now and the end of the year.

From Feb/March, I plan on doing day trips, building up to May.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to check those out now.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:58:45, 07/09/19 »
Welcome to the forum, Ellie.

The West Highland Way springs to mind - fantastic scenery, plenty of camping/accommodation options, good transport either end. Watch out for the midges, though, but in early May they shouldn't be too bad.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:09:52, 07/09/19 »
Welcome from Portsmouth.

In my experience the easiest way to get to a linear walk outside London, from west to east and/or vice versa and to finish near a train station back to London, is to get a train to Redhill (e.g. hike the Greensand Way or North Downs Way) Gatwick (hike the Sussex Border Path) or Horsham (hike the High Weald Trail) all very good. Within the boundaries of Kent, West and East Sussex and Surrey there is so much choice it can get mind-boggling!

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:34:06, 07/09/19 »
Hi Ellie

Just a suggestion, but this linear route from London to Canterbury might appeal - it follows the Pilgrim's Way:

Starting near London Bridge, the route follows the Thames Path as far as Crayford. Then it follows the Darent Valley Path to Otford, and then the North Downs Way to Canterbury. The map gives the rough idea.  :)

If the distance isn't far enough, there's a possible extremely nice extension. The North Downs Way branches north of Ashford to form a loop and the part between Folkestone and Dover along the cliffs is truly spectacular. So you have the option to end the walk in Dover (the start/end of the NDW), or follow the NDW round to Canterbury, or continue on to complete the loop near Ashford. It's easy to get a train to London from Ashford, Dover or Canterbury.

I've walked all of the North Downs Way in Kent and the Darent Valley Path, but not this bit of the Thames Path. The scenery is fantastic!

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Estevens90

« Reply #6 on: 16:53:35, 07/09/19 »
Thank you all so much for your suggestions, I will be investigating them all.

The Thames Pathway sounds great in theory, however I live more or less centrally on the river, so I know it well between Kingston and Greenwhich. Walking is my escape, lush fields and scenery make me happy.

I went on a trip to Glastonbury last year and camped "just out" of a village named Wells. It was advertised as "just out" in reality it was an hour and fifteen minutes walk down a country lane. Once we got over the surprise of being so rural, we grew to love the walk. I slept in a little pop up tent for three nights and lived the dream. Been longing of submerging myself in nature since, but haven't got round to doing it.

So next year is the year!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy