Author Topic: A Weekend Exploring The Lanes, Becks and Fields around Long Preston  (Read 7013 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member

I've just returned from a lovely weekend escape in the Yorkshire Dales.

I stayed in a little village called Long Preston - somewhere on the main road between Skipton and Settle.

The weather was far from the perfect wall to wall sunshine on the Saturday (as forecast by the Met Office right up to the day before I set off  >:(  )

A great weekend's walking and scrabbling up snowy slopes to avoid falling in becks, good food, good accommodation and a lovely area which seems to be overlooked as the honeypots of Malham Cove/Tarn/Goredale Scar are only a hop, skip and a jump away.

This was a much-needed escape from real/modern/[beep] life.

As I'm sick of the forum removing pics after a certain length of time and rendering a true "on the forum" trip report fairly useless (can't blame photobucket cos I don't/didn't use it), here's a linky thingy to the write up on my bloggy thingy...

Yorkshire Dales - Long Preston Weekend

Hope the link works and thanks for looking  :)

April

• Veteran Member
Nice report on your blog Mel  O0 It's great you are feeling the benefit from giving up the cigs  O0

Northumberland is missing from your list of counties ;)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely report Mel, sounds like  great weekend.  O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed the TR and photos Mel and it sounds a lovely weekend away    :)   

pleb

• Veteran Member
Snails pace Mel?
You've speeded up then...................... ::)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
Really enjoyed the TR, Mel. We've driven through Long Preston a few times when we've been going into the Dales but never stopped there, so it was interesting to see what the walking is like around the village. I think I'll add it to the list as a destination now instead of just somewhere to look at en route! The Boars Head sounds like a bargain too.  O0 

The blog is great, btw - I didn't know you had one, probably me being dopey. Looking forward to catching up on your previous posts on there.  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Nice report on your blog Mel  O0 It's great you are feeling the benefit from giving up the cigs  O0

Northumberland is missing from your list of counties ;)

Cheers April.  I definitely found it much easier, breathing-wise, no wheezing  :)   Northumberland is, indeed, missing... at the moment....  8)

Lovely report Mel, sounds like  great weekend.  O0

Cheers Ridge, it certainly was a great weekend.  I got to finally see some snow, for starters  :D

Enjoyed the TR and photos Mel and it sounds a lovely weekend away    :)   

Thank you.  Glad you enjoyed it Dovegirl  :)   It was lovely just to get away from "the norm".

Snails pace Mel?
You've speeded up then...................... ::)

Aye. But no.  I'm embracing my slowness  O0

Really enjoyed the TR, Mel. We've driven through Long Preston a few times when we've been going into the Dales but never stopped there, so it was interesting to see what the walking is like around the village. I think I'll add it to the list as a destination now instead of just somewhere to look at en route! The Boars Head sounds like a bargain too.  O0 

The blog is great, btw - I didn't know you had one, probably me being dopey. Looking forward to catching up on your previous posts on there.  :)

Cheers adalard.  Nope.  You're not being dopey.  I've not mentioned my blog before now.  I set it up mainly so my family (who aren't on Facebook) could see my walks and then my facebook account decided it didn't like me to upload pictures anymore so I'm slowly updating the blog with past walks ... or pictures at least, and trying to find my trip reports on here and adding them there to go with the pictures. 

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
That was lovely Mel, thanks....and some really nice photos too O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

photonut

Hi Mell,

That is a nice TR and a very good read.

I've never thought of stopping off at Long Preston before for walking... only the chippy :D   But having seen your pics I think I might park up there someday.

(In future, if you're heading for the A65 try to avoid Bradford late in the day... I find it's best to go via Keighley, if you can)

Cheers
Lee

Mel

• Veteran Member
That was lovely Mel, thanks....and some really nice photos too O0

Tracey :)

Cheers Tracey  :)

Hi Mell,

That is a nice TR and a very good read.

I've never thought of stopping off at Long Preston before for walking... only the chippy :D   But having seen your pics I think I might park up there someday.

(In future, if you're heading for the A65 try to avoid Bradford late in the day... I find it's best to go via Keighley, if you can)

Cheers
Lee

Cheers Lee.  The area is nice for just general, countryside walks.  Most people get star-struck by Malham or head further west for the Y3Ps.  Having said that, it's a good base on the main road for busses and there's a train station there too. 

Deffo agree about avoiding Bradford - at pretty much any time though  ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
Good Trip report, Mel, really enjoyed it. Getting away on your own has a lot to recommend it.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Mel

• Veteran Member
Good Trip report, Mel, really enjoyed it. Getting away on your own has a lot to recommend it.

Cheers Jac  :)   I did have the intention of getting in touch with Peter (of this forum's fame) as he lives nearby but it just never happened in the end  :-[

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Great to read your TR Mel, sounds like the weekend away did you the world of good - walking can be such therapy. I like the sound of your accommodation too.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Thanks Sarah  :)   Seems like a dim, distant memory now and I'm ready for another one!

tenmilesplus

Hiya Mel...

Funny I should come across your post today as I have just today ( infact 3hrs ago after a 5hr drive ) come home from Settle where I was staying for a weeks walking and Long Preston was an area in which I passed through, also via lunch at the Maypole, Scrummy pie there and a bargain portion for the price.. The walk for me started at Settle, a straight route over from Upper Settle directly to Long Preston, but after lunch I went down the other way, down past the train station and turned right on to the path along the Wigglesworth beck and walked back to Settle.. The day was round 10 miles but taken over 9hrs including the lunch.. and several missing / poorly placed way markers.. Weather was better than forecast as there was no rain and Sunny all day..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy