Author Topic: I used to be decisive but i am not sure now  (Read 4916 times)

Solofool

I used to be decisive but i am not sure now
« on: 13:25:33, 10/03/08 »
Ok having witnessed the lovely weather today it got me thinking about my Pennine Way trip in 2 weeks time. What should i do????
I have a light weight Keela water proof jacket, which weighs little and rolls up into nothing or i have a 3 part Gortex jacket with large hood which weighs alot more and does not roll up much.

Ahhhh!!!!!!

I dont have a problem walking in the rain (although i would rather not) but i guess my question is what are the odds on having heavy driving rain whilst on the trail? and how often?

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: I used to be decisive but i am not sure now
« Reply #1 on: 16:16:24, 10/03/08 »
Just looking through my log of my walking activities at the same time last year, I did 9 walks in the last 2 weeks of March and first week in April, and as far as rainfall was concerned, I recorded one drizzle and one heavy snow showers with a general moderate snow cover. The rest was cold, cool, sunny and windy.
So it'll probably chuck it down!
I think its impossible to say, its that time of year when it could persist persistently, or it could be cold and sunny if you're lucky with some high pressure.  My own preference would be to go for the heavier jacket, as its still winter up Cross Fell and the Cheviots
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:09:02, 10/03/08 »
 Go for the gortex jacket.Knowing what the weather can be like up there at this time of the year I feel you will wear it more than you will carry it.Lightweight jackets are fine in summer when it dosen't matter if you get soaked but at this time of the year you have to be careful with hypothermia,especially when you are alone.
« Last Edit: 17:10:49, 10/03/08 by tonyk »

Solofool

« Reply #3 on: 19:54:31, 10/03/08 »
cheers guys, the extra weight is worth it, having witnessed the power of the wind and rain down south here today wise advice cheers

ogy

« Reply #4 on: 22:10:02, 10/03/08 »
Take the coat mate, you've got plenty of spare weight what with that teeny weeny tarp set up

If you want a more substantial sleeping arena I have a great little one man tent you can borrow ;)

Seriously though have a good one and make sure to keep us all posted. Good luck :)

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:51:14, 12/03/08 »
Looks like you've now decided but I would vote for the coat too.

Last Easter I had 3 days away and they were (in reverse order).

Day 3 T-shirt weather.

Day 2 Every item of clothing I had with me.

Day 1 One of those days when you spend the whole time taking things off and putting them on before you decided to go for a happy medium and are then always too hot or too cold.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:50:07, 14/03/08 »
It'll all probably have gone by the time you get there, solofool, but yesterday (14 March) there was a significant amount of new, fresh snow on the high tops above Teesdale - above about 600 metres with a few random patches of wet snow down to about 400 metres. A frosty night followed, so I expect it all went a bit hard. Deffo a big jacket job.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy