Author Topic: Summer Walking  (Read 3213 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Summer Walking
« Reply #30 on: 13:13:16, 23/08/20 »
In Scotland it is usually midges, rather than humidity, that affects walking in summer months.

Ah yes - the Scottish Midge. They drove us into our hut a few times during our recent trip to Tyndrum, despite the presence of a couple of propane powered 'Midge Eaters' on the site.

A good reason not to wear shorts, in my opinion - other reasons being ticks, scratches, stings, sunburn.

Edit - and Clegs!
« Last Edit: 13:19:58, 23/08/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 13:15:08, 23/08/20 »
I remember one time on Skye when I stopped counting the number of midge bites on my head when I got to 100.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 13:15:14, 23/08/20 »

Heheh! Definitely! And clegs and horseflies in some areas in the summer. They sneak up on you from behind and bite you in the back of your arm while walking.

Yes, they like the back of the arm, don't they? I hate the things as I react badly to their bites, usually ending up with watery weepy blisters around the bite.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 13:15:55, 23/08/20 »
I remember one time on Skye when I stopped counting the number of midge bites on my head when I got to 100.

Only a hundred?  :D

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 13:17:13, 23/08/20 »

Only a hundred?  :D
There were way more than 100. I just gave up counting at that point.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 13:18:48, 23/08/20 »

Beinglas campsite near Loch Lomond, summer 2018.

A good reason to do the West Highland Way in spring or late autumn rather than in summer.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 13:21:11, 23/08/20 »
Those anti midge head nets are a good invention.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 13:22:39, 23/08/20 »
They do work, but I still feel uncomfortable with a cloud of midges engulfing my head.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 13:25:01, 23/08/20 »

Beinglas campsite near Loch Lomond, summer 2018.

A good reason to do the West Highland Way in spring or late autumn rather than in summer.

Heheh! Yes Beinglas campsite is horrible with midges! I have camped there a few times when car-camping/dayhiking in the area. But you can escape to the cooking area inside.

I hiked the WHW last year April (camping) and didn't see a single midge :)
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 13:27:07, 23/08/20 »

They work, but I hate wearing them. I always bring one but it is rarely used. Actually, the only time I ever use them sometimes is when breaking up my tent in the morning.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 15:40:50, 23/08/20 »
Heheh! Yes Beinglas campsite is horrible with midges! I have camped there a few times when car-camping/dayhiking in the area. But you can escape to the cooking area inside.

..or the bar.  :D

Ronin83

« Reply #41 on: 18:02:25, 25/08/20 »
Right on time for this convo, surprisingly with these storms...

Disclaimer... I had little sleep the night before due to loud drunk people.

Did snowdon yesterday, up Rhyd Ddu, back down ranger, cutting South through fields and an old slate quarry before the last bit to get back to Rhyd ddu again. It was a long day and despite my best attempts to drink bucket loads of water and snack rather than feast I ended up having some sort of heat/sun exhaustion. Pounding headache, puked up and everything.
I did recover before bed and wolfed down a dinner though.
Its surprising how it can get you even when you think it's not that hot. The lack of sleep didn't help though of course

Eyelet

« Reply #42 on: 22:04:46, 06/09/20 »

Mountain Equipment Comici shorts or long trousers if absolutely needed, with Underarmour kecks and a Berghaus Tech T-shirt and a wet Tilley hat for me. I also carry a small tin of Vaseline in case of chafing due to sweat - worth its weight in gold if it's needed.

I also like to keep well hydrated. I take a water bottle made up with electrolyte tablets e.g. SIS or High5 Zero to supplement my water bladder which has 2-3 litres of water (depending on re-supply possibilities) and drink from both. When the bottle runs out, I make up a second one. I've used this system on multi-day treks in Morocco, Nepal and France I have avoided the nightmare of getting cramp whilst camping.

Midges go for me big time despite DEET or Avon Skin So Soft or Smidge etc, etc, etc, so sadly the Highlands are a no-go area for me in the midge season.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 17:36:45, 07/09/20 »
Just an aside, your water explanation reminded me that I was listening to a scientist on R4 some months ago and he said that human beings are the only ones on the planet that drink water before they are thirsty. I've often wondered if this information is correct or not?

I never wear shorts. We are warned in Hampshire to be careful of Lyme's Disease so I am. I too carry a head midge net with me, I once had swarms all over me whilst camping in Alston. I don'tb panic but nearly did that day!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 20:48:02, 07/09/20 »
Flying ants can comfortably out do the midges on the wrong day in Cornwall.  :o  They settle early in the evening on the gorse bushes though and don't bite.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy