Author Topic: Every walking photo tells a story  (Read 48840 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Every walking photo tells a story
« on: 21:34:29, 12/04/16 »
Once again big thanks to all who have supported the last three photo posts.

The next question is what do you do with your photos, I don't know about you guys but I have tens of thousands of photos stored and backed up gathering dust, some are naff some are ok.

BUT

Each one of them has its own story of some outdoor related event whether it be birding, trainspotting, scrambling, climbing, bouldering, flowers, vintage cars, ice climbing,  canal walks, city Walks, wild camping in fact anything that gives me an excuse to go walking.

So yes variety is still the name of the walking game for me, this is my way of trying to use my photos......

Hopefully there will still be a little bit of something for everyone...... if anyone wants to contribute feel free....
« Last Edit: 13:34:57, 13/04/16 by midweekmountain »

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: Every photo tells a story
« Reply #1 on: 21:36:38, 12/04/16 »

First up and here is one of my self portraits munro bagging on the Skye Ridge.

Twenty peaks of naked rock shimmering in the heat haze: a horseshoe of light grey spikes linked by a six mile ridge of gabbro and shattered basalt.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: Every walking photo tells a story
« Reply #2 on: 10:10:53, 13/04/16 »

Coastal view from the summit of Is Seddas

Who's turn is it to wear the nylon blouse, rubber skirt and fetishist mittens!!!!!

It all started a couple of days into the Sardinia trip, Stevie is a keen paddler and keeps two very smart sea canoes at the apartment. Although this was primarily a walking trip he was itching to get out on the water............

He was not so much looking as pressing for volunteers, therefore none of us were trying to show any sign of weakness. Under pressure, Ian who had never been in a canoe in his life, cracked, showing only a chink of interest, he was snapped up before he knew wot ad appened.

The venue was close to the appartment so we dropped team tranny off at the beach, canoes, skirts and all.
H and I did a tour of one of the coastal hills called 'Is Seddas', superb coastal views from a suprisingly rocky summit, had a great day!!!!!

Arrived to pick them up at the agreed time, found Ian had not been to confident in the swell so they had just gone up the beach a kilometer and back. Had an early finish and hit the bar.

Muggins had to load the boats up and get everyone safely back to the digs.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:36:27, 13/04/16 »

Dinner break nr the pinnacle of Pedra Longa

Now for something different........My turn for the tranny look!!!!!!!

Stevies thirst for sea canoeing was still not quenched after his short day up and down the beach with Ian. That night H dropped me right in the Shhht, saying didn't you used to do some canoing back in the day.  My only defence was to confess to a bit of white water paddling and slalom stuff. Like Ian yesterday I was recruited  before I knew it.

I had that feeling of dread all night, it got worse as the cold grey light of dawn filtered thro the bedroom window, Stevie was up making breakfast and bouncing with enthusiasm.

I was marched out to load up the car, I could hear H and Ian sniggering as I left, it was off  to the beach, on the the rubber skirt.

The plan was to visit some islands some 2km's out in the bay then head down to have a look at a rock pinnacle called Pedrs Longa which involved a 5km channel Crossing, then see how I felt.

The thing I was dreading most was how wobbly and unstable a boat seems when you aint done it for a while, in my case decades, thankfully the sea was very calm so it was not too stressing.

Now walking is walking, climbing is climbing, white water canoeing is white water canoeing, sea canoeing is sea canoeing and  they all require different muscle groups.  As Stevie is well trained up and able to effortlessly paddle continuously for several hours non stop, I'm not.

So............ I knew I was going to struggle, if I was going to survive the day the key was  to pace myself.
Out at the islands Stevie was enjoying himself paddling in and out of every cove while I hove to and rested. By the time we crossed the long channel to Pedra Longa I could feel the first nagging pains of tiredness.
To make things worse we had to go a good km past the pinnacle to find a landing on a tricky rock strewn cove, I got my first soaking here and I was quite suprised the sea did not feel really cold, not bad for the first of February.

In the half hour we rested and had lunch a strong wind had sprung up, the sea had a noticably increased swell now.....It was going to be a 7km paddle back in a rough sea.

Thro the afternoon the sea got rougher and rougher, thankfully the wind was coming in over my seaward shoulder, blowing on shore, but my old confideence was returning, I felt well in control.
Stevie was once again in and out of every cove while I was trying to save energy making a beeline for each headland in turn.

Despite being very tired I was quite enjoying surfing increasingly big waves until at last we reached the harbour breakwater,  suddenly we found ourselves in calm water for the last stretch and I knew I was gonna make it back.

The first beer was very welcome that day, the gps told us we had paddled just over 10k.

MWM recovery break half way back cos I was knackered

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:49:09, 13/04/16 »

Another one of my fave shots from this winter, after a late start we visited Howe Crag nr Hodge Close quarry.

The shot was taken from near the summit, maybe it was the afternoon sun but I had never noticed the quarry buildings on the ridge in front of the Langdale Pikes until I got home and processed the image.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:55:37, 13/04/16 »
Seen the quarry buildings a few times and will take a walk over one of these days for a closer look and a walk in/on to the Old Man or something like that.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:28:18, 13/04/16 »
Great photos mwm especially the Skye one

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:20:16, 14/04/16 »
Seen the quarry buildings a few times and will take a walk over one of these days for a closer look and a walk in/on to the Old Man or something like that.

Yes that was what I was thinking would have to go and av a looksie

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:26:13, 14/04/16 »
Great photos mwm especially the Skye one

Thanks Lee

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:28:20, 14/04/16 »

I love this time of year, once the clocks go forward its the signal for us to get out walking and/or climbing locally on an evening.

Its something I have done all my adult life, to me its what summer is all about, that almost spiritual feeling escaping for a few midweek hours of physical outdoor excersize away from the grind of working life. Slowly watching the sun drop below the horizon then as darkness enfolds sadly its over and time to pack up and go home to normal life.

These photos were taken on a recent evenings bouldering walk round Brimham one of our local crags.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:00:05, 18/04/16 »

Its pub time, Walking back to the cars after our first evening visit to the Cow an Calf at Ilkley this summer, Its good to be back!!!!!!!

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:16:53, 18/04/16 »

Rannoch moor shot

I timed my drive north to coincide with hopefully some grand evening evening light, this time I get it right!!!!!!

Pulled up at Rannock moor and got one half decent shot, then left down the mega busy Glen Etive, it did not dissapoint with the crowds or the superb views.

I car camped near the start of the next days walk, went to sleep in starlight, woke up to rain.
Lingered over breakfast till another guy parked in my pullout, he was a Kiwi, they come from all over to do the Munros.

We talk....he says its gonna brighten, as if by magic it did, he also said rains gonna come in early afternoon
We walk....the start together, he's over for a month and plans to finish his Munro round before he goes back, that long distance commute puts me to shame.

We split....my route goes up a steep ravine to Ben Choarach 850 m a satelite of the Munro Stob Coire Albannaich 1044 m the Main peak today.

Never heard of it I hear you say well its a superb hill in its winter guise, it would be thee top most sort after peak were it teleported to the Lakes.

The guide describes a complex descent looking a of a narrow grass slope between crags. today its covered in neve (old snow capact and icy) I fit my crampons, glad I brought them.

Next two hills are also rans Meall Tarsuin 877 m, Meall nan Eun 928 m BUT one counts as another Munro. As the Kiwi predicted the rain/snow/hail has come in early afternoon.  I  get grit blasted, glad my goggles are with me for an initial tricky steep descent followed by several miles of bog, bog and more bog, am I selling this!!!!!!

Descending the Munro Stob Coire Albannaich 1044 m, I thought the photo needed a bit of human interest!!!!!

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:20:49, 18/04/16 »
Fab shot of Rannoch moor O0

Every time I drive past there I pull over to take a few pics.

Stunning place.
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:50:14, 20/04/16 »
Great pics again  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:58:22, 21/04/16 »
Fab shot of Rannoch moor O0

Every time I drive past there I pull over to take a few pics.

Stunning place.

Thanks Dom its jusy pne of thos classic places

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy