Author Topic: Every walking photo tells a story  (Read 48831 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: Every walking photo tells a story
« Reply #15 on: 12:58:47, 21/04/16 »

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:03:17, 21/04/16 »

Walking up Dollywagon Pike via the Tongue

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=32298.0

Dave (Rhino's) Helvellyn trip report from the recent forum meet reminded me of an old snap I took, two of my mates on an ascent of said hill via the Tongue on Dollywagon.
It was one of those marvellous winter days, not a breath of wind and hardly a cloud in the skies.

I was alway told at school ONE good picture was worth a thousand words while a poor picture needs a thousand words to explain it.

Thats really what its all about for me, the holy grail, why post 20 piccies if you have the one that tells the story of a thousand words on its own.

Unfortunately I ain't got many really good images, if any like that, thats why I feel the need to write a little story to compliment the inadequences of my photos.......

I got a lot of good shots that day IMHO this is the best of the bunch, the one caught the essence of the day.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:08:51, 21/04/16 »
Excellent pic.  O0

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:53:54, 23/04/16 »
Does this photo tell a story?

To me it seems to hold the essence of our walk earlier this week, close to the Old racecourse near Oswestry, I did not take a map, finger posts led us here and I am now enjoying going through the photos I took, more close ups as light was a bit  hazy for landscapes but this seems to hold the quality of way of the Shropshire countryside.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

CallMeSteven

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:11:54, 23/04/16 »
Nice photo - for me, good composition. But there's always going to be someone to disagree  ;D

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:42:44, 24/04/16 »
I liked it. It seems to encapsulate the  Shropshire countryside.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 06:19:09, 26/04/16 »
Does this photo tell a story?

To me it seems to hold the essence of our walk earlier this week, close to the Old racecourse near Oswestry, I did not take a map, finger posts led us here and I am now enjoying going through the photos I took, more close ups as light was a bit  hazy for landscapes but this seems to hold the quality of way of the Shropshire countryside.

Yes tis good, subject is roughly on a third walking into the picture and the path acts as a leading line.

Am suprised the trees arn't a bit further on Shropshire is normally a few weeks further on than us up north.

Llke shots with people in, it adds another dimension

Nice
« Last Edit: 06:32:49, 26/04/16 by midweekmountain »

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:52:16, 26/04/16 »
Some more great photos mwm

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 10:57:38, 26/04/16 »
Yes, the trees are surprisingly backward this year around here yet some cherry blossom was early as well as blackthorne, I always hope that we will have a winter that will hold back the early flowering trees. What is weird are the bluebells that are already showing, hope they are not coming on too early.

Thanks for comments from Steven, Penygadair and MWM. What a picture if the gorse bush had been in full bloom, sort of took it as a reminder to go back, then I started to look at the map and there is a suspicious lack of access for a considerable area to the right of the picture, even OS has have included a few grey paths as if to highlight this. There appears to be a distinct chunk of lostway that joins Gobowen Station to the Selatyn ridge; lovely beach wood out of picture on the right, good cover for recce..............perhaps I will go back.
BWW

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:15:23, 29/04/16 »
Yes, the trees are surprisingly backward this year around here yet some cherry blossom was early as well as blackthorne, I always hope that we will have a winter that will hold back the early flowering trees. What is weird are the bluebells that are already showing, hope they are not coming on too early.

Thanks for comments from Steven, Penygadair and MWM. What a picture if the gorse bush had been in full bloom, sort of took it as a reminder to go back, then I started to look at the map and there is a suspicious lack of access for a considerable area to the right of the picture, even OS has have included a few grey paths as if to highlight this. There appears to be a distinct chunk of lostway that joins Gobowen Station to the Selatyn ridge; lovely beach wood out of picture on the right, good cover for recce..............perhaps I will go back.
Following on from my remarks, I have posted some further information and comments here;  
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=30054.new#new
it carries on the story the photo started.

BWW

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:50:25, 29/04/16 »
Following on from my remarks, I have posted some further information and comments here;
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=30054.new#new
it carries on the story the photo started.

Thats a different world to where I walk, I always try to steer clear of fields, mudfests in winter, often complicated to nav with awkward diversions.

Give me the mountains!!!!!!

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:07:35, 29/04/16 »

I seem to be lurching forward to the Munro Sgor Gaibhre 955m from the Munro top Sgor Choinnich 928m,

I am getting a phobia about using public transport, the  last time I was desperate enouth to use a bus was 18 months ago. My partner had broken her ankle and spent a couple of nights in hospital, so I drove her home in her car, planning to catch the bus 20 miles back to mine. Only to find a notice taped to the bus stop saying all buses cancelled until further notice due to contracter going into receivership, just my luck.

Fast forward, next time I wanted to use public transport a couple of weeks ago I decide to catch a train from Fort Bill into the remote Corrour station only to be told by Scotrail they had no trains.......WHAT...NO TRAINS so the nice people had laid on a nice transfer bus that goes no (f)cuking where near Corrour.

Third time lucky, Scotrail actually let me buy a train ticket to Corrour and YES it turns up on time BUT I'm nervous, I choose a relatively modest objective, would not want to miss that train back.

With several hours in hand I dawdle up my chosen Munro Sgor Gaibhre 955m and its attendant Munro top Sgor Choinnich 928m, dawdle back, take a few photos, kill a bit of time, dawdle back to the station with an hour to wait.

Got a song in my head-'I'm sitting in the railway station got a ticket for my destination yeah'

BUT

I'm still nervous, have Scotrail found their missing trains?, has the reciever been called in?,  why isn't there is anyone else on this platform waiting for the train?,  what do I do if the train is doesn't arrive? 

Homeward bound......maybe

View of Corrour Youth Hostel twee to look at BUT at £26.00 pppn with no electricity, no hot water, its a shocker.
« Last Edit: 14:31:23, 29/04/16 by midweekmountain »

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 14:48:02, 29/04/16 »
Great photos Stuart and a good story to go with them and best not to get me started on public transport i depend on it and what they are doing to the transport links around Snowdonia is shocking i keep in touch with John who runs a site swisspaddle to help people like me get to the mountains to say he has (f)cking hell with the council and bus/train companies trying to keep a reasonable service going is an understatement anyway i digress keep the photos coming you have some corkers

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:50:13, 29/04/16 »
best not to get me started on public transport

I take my hat off to keen outdoor activists, guys lke yourself, April & Beefy who have to use public transport to get out every weekend.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:12:31, 29/04/16 »
Did you get the picture you were after

Cir Mhor and ridges.

I have visited the Isle of Arran, where I hear you say, several times over the years for both climbing and walking/scrambling. IMHO if you are looking for adventurous walking and scambling it is second only to the Isle of Skye in the uk.

Maybe the reason Arran  gets overlooked by the mainstream is because it only has four Corbetts and no Munroes BUT what hills they are!!!!!

Arrans main hills are located in a compact series of ridges forming the shape of an H in the North East part of the Island. On this trip I was interested in one of the northern ridges involving two Corbetts, Caisteal Abhail, Cir Mhor, contender for the best looking hill in the UK and a deep V shaped notch feature called Ceum na Caillich (Witches Step).

In addition I remembed seeing an old photograph taken from Caisteal Abhail lookind at the stunning Cir Mhor and the most amazing ridges, I wanted that photo.

The walk was a modest 7.5 miles BUT included a lot of exposed ridges, scrambling and some stunning photography.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy