Author Topic: Two Moors Way  (Read 10845 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Re: Two Moors Way
« Reply #15 on: 13:01:40, 08/05/19 »
Thanks for the advice. We’ve now booked all the B&Bs except Lynton, but there’s plenty still free there. Just got to book the luggage transfers and work out logistics of getting there etc.  We briefly considered train but it’s not cheap from Suffolk, so we will probably drive and park in Plymouth and get the bus to Wembury ready to start the next day.  That saves us time the day after we finish, which will involve bus to Barnstaple, then train to Exeter and then Plymouth, plus driving home!  We added an extra day as we couldn’t find accommodation in Corndon or Coleford. We have a long day from West Anstey to Simonsbath but hopefully as that’s near the end we’ll be broken in by then! I managed the long day from Dufton to Alston on the Pennine Way.
Our schedule:-

Monday 17 June Wembury, Seahorses B&B
Ivybridge, Cadleigh Manor
Scorriton, Tradesmans Arms
Lower Hookner Barn (offroute)
Drewsteignton, Burrow Farm (offroute)
Morchard Road, DevonshireDumpling
Witheridge, Mitre Inn
West Anstey, Partridge Arms Farm
Simonsbath, Exmoor Forest Inn
Lynmouth finish 26 June

There was mention earlier of the Church House Inn in Holne. I found a website with contact details that suggested it was reopening soon. So I emailed them and got a reply from the owner saying it was under new management and would definitely be open and doing B&B then. However, I wasn’t contacted by the new tenants as he had suggested so we decided to book elsewhere.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:55:07, 21/05/19 »
In case you're not aware there is (or was) a bus from Barnstaple to Plymouth that goes over Dartmoor so great views  O0
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:11:38, 21/05/19 »
I don't think there is now sussamb.  Or if there is my hubby hasn't found it, as he was responsible for booking transport back to our car! It's Lynton to Barnstaple by bus, then train to Exeter, train to Plymouth and bus to Wembury.  We have now decided to park our car in Exeter rather than travel any further, so it's not so much travelling on the day we return home.  So we will be doing half the journey on the day we arrive now. 

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:12:30, 21/05/19 »
a bus from Barnstaple to Plymouth that goes over Dartmoor so great views  O0

We're hoping to get great views on the walk!  ;D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:45:37, 21/05/19 »
I'm sure you will, it was my 'backyard' until I moved away to uni and then the Army  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:54:43, 21/05/19 »
I'm sure you will, it was my 'backyard' until I moved away to uni and then the Army  O0
My backyard now  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:12:00, 21/05/19 »
 O0
Where there's a will ...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:59:25, 14/06/19 »
We start this on Tuesday, so as we’ve already had more rain than we need in June it can stop now!

Just an update as it was mentioned in earlier posts. The Church House Inn in Holne is re-opening on 21 June. Lucky we didn’t rely on it opening sooner as they had assured us it would be. We are now staying in Scorriton instead on 19 June! Looks like it is doing B&B and food.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:56:44, 20/06/19 »
That’s the first three days completed. We’re staying tonight in Lower Hookner which is over a mile off the main route but on the alternative wet weather route, (but we decided Widecombe was too close and Chagford too far.) Though the worst underfoot so far was a boggy field on the wet weather route! Up on Dartmoor it’s been fine underfoot, just a bit squelchy in places. It’s actually been worse down below with mud and wet vegetation. We’ve probably been pretty lucky with the weather, drizzle most of the first morning; yesterday the rain stopped and mist lifted soon after 10 as we climbed onto the moor and we had great views all day and no more rain. We arrived at Scoriton and they said it had rained there til 3. Today was one of those days when theres a heavy shower for 10-20 mins then dry for about an hour, then rain again etc. Until in the end you just leave your waterproofs on!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:52:50, 21/06/19 »
One of the main reasons why I gave up on waterproof trousers long ago!

'Today was one of those days when theres a heavy shower for 10-20 mins then dry for about an hour, then rain again etc. Until in the end you just leave your waterproofs on!'

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:26:08, 23/06/19 »
Now in Witheridge, two thirds of the way through our walk. The last couple of days has been great weather, rain today though from midday but it was our shortest day, looking forward to Exmoor. We’re enjoying the walk, yesterday though was a lot of quiet lane walking, which went through some lovely places but I think we’re happier up in the hills!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 22:31:59, 26/06/19 »
Finished today. A long day yesterday with the start of Exmoor and great walking weather - cloudy but clear and not too hot. Today unfortunately we spent the rest of the time on Exmoor in the fog, only starting to clear as we got to Watersmeet. But overall we had pretty good weather, not much rain and generally good underfoot. Enjoyed the walk, though sometimes a bit too much lane walking. Saw very few other walkers doing it.

Met ninthace in the Mitre Inn in Witheridge. Great to meet you and good to put a face to the name of a forum member  :)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:00:35, 27/06/19 »
Well done. Glad it all went to plan.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:35:24, 27/06/19 »
Good to see you too. Glad it went well.  Shame about the Exmoor fog, the drop of the moor towards the sea is a fine view.  I shall be walking up that way tomorrow, inshallah.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mick wmexile

« Reply #29 on: 11:13:48, 27/06/19 »
Glad you finished safe and well. I finished my Two Moors last Saturday, fine weather, and as ninthace says great views. I agree with you about the sections between Dartmoor and Exmoor, too much road walking and to be honest not my ideal walking. But that said, overall another long distance trail to my bow.
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy