Author Topic: Bank Holiday Saturday in Snowdonia  (Read 3053 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Bank Holiday Saturday in Snowdonia
« Reply #15 on: 17:13:55, 27/08/17 »
How could you possibly take a wrong turn following a big wall that is continuous all the way from Bwlch y Rhiwgyr, over Diffwys, and on to Y Lethr? ??? It's unmissable, even in mist!

The only thing you have to be careful about is to turn left onto the steep path down the west side of Y Lethr, the point was marked by an old 4 by 4 wooden post when I was last there. If you miss it and carry on along the wall, it ends on cliffs at the north end of the mountain.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:51:03, 27/08/17 »
Agreed. The wall junction (or corner) where the 'spur' to the summit of Y Llethr leaves the continuous wall is unmissable.

To be kind I think that DA may have sliced the junction, Coming from Diffwys the approach to the junction is a little rough in places and last time up I noticed someone take an easier route across what I would term as the long side of a triangle.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 20:39:42, 28/08/17 »
I met two walkers this Bank holiday, and just for good measure, i circumnavigated Moelfre, and approached Yr Llether from the Cwm Bychan side.
It was very easy to miss the path direction from the ridge coming down from Diffwys , but approaching Diffwys from Yr llether, its plain sailing, you just follow the wall.

The terrain coming down from Diffwys, even with the wall on your right looks quite a bit different.

An easy mistake to make, and one i have learnt to avoid in the future.

The terrain was very similar to that of the main Rhinogs,Fawr and Fach , very tall heather and grass, with hidden streams one could hear below your feet, but could not see, it was a nightmare to navigate through, and extremely dangerous, not knowing what was you were placing your feet on, and not being able to see.

I can highly recommend the anticlockwise traverse of Moelfre, and Cwm Bychan approach to Llether, hellish boggy, but the perfect Bank holiday outing, with only two walkers to talk to, the whole day.
« Last Edit: 20:43:27, 28/08/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:29:09, 29/08/17 »
Interesting. Now that you have circumnavigated Moelfre you will realise that Toulson was incorrect in her assertion that the stagecoach route crossed the col between Moelfre and Moel Blithcwm, The 'great wall' is as built around 1800 with no sign of modification and the gateway on the col is too small for the stagecoach and would have also unduly hindered the drovers,. Having re-read Prevett he perpetuates Toulson's error.

I'm intrigued by your approach to the summit of Y Llethr. Did you go 'off piste' to reach the summit by a route from the Nantcol cutting north of Moel Blithcwm .but south of Llyn Perfeddau. I'm assuming from your description of ground conditions that you went that way. Never tried it or even contemplated it

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:27:15, 29/08/17 »
I went off piste, big time.
Just below Moelfre"s right hand corner, where the old road from Cors Y Gedol comes up from the coast, you take small gate on your left, as the road turns off around the bend.

From the Cors y Gedol upper road, you will notice three distinctive Scots Pine trees, off to your immediate left, about a mile distant, a clear indication that the ruined dwelling underneath was frequented by Drovers in the past.
I made for those, trying to avoid quite a few cows, and a large Bull, in the process.

On reaching the Scots Pines, continued up the mountain side, until i met the road from lower Dyffryn to Cwm Bychan.

The entire mountain of Moelfre was now on my right, so after a bit of off the beaten track, ever so boggy and wet but  hellish  enjoyable navigation, i eventually came to the other side of the mountain, with llether right in front of me at he top of the valley.

None of the navigation was difficult, but going totally off the beaten track, was part of the enjoyment of the whole Bank holiday, and i knew where my eventual target of llether was located, i just walked until it came into view.

I was half expecting to find one or two skeletons of lone walkers, who had come to grief, and because of the extreme solitude of the Rhinogs, had cried for assistance, but fallen on death ears.

I was certainly in the wilds of the Dyffryn mountains, as there were no worn paths anywhere in sight, just me and the barren mountains.

Eventually coming to the famous wall, i then followed it all the way up to llethers summit, and then had a look at where i went wrong the other day.

The weather by early afternoon had turned out really nice, with the early morning mist having now burnt off.

Thankfully none of the terrain, was technically difficult, just exploring a part of the Rhinogs, where there are no designated paths on the OL18 map.

In total, the walk lasted only four and a half hours, and if one is daft enough to go exploring very remote locations, by ones self, it comes highly recommended.

Coming to grief, thankfully never came to mind, just exploring nature at its finest, me against the elements, and living to tell all about my Bank holiday adventure.

I am not quite sure about Shirely Toulsons lack of  accuracy, because the direction of the Harlech to London Coach road, is never in doubt.

From llanbeder, it turned up towards Cwm Nantcol, to the left of the Victoria pub, and then approached the Rhinogs from the Cwm Bychan direction, exactly where, i do not know, but it certainly came this way.

The Scots Pines i talked about, are a known indicator of Drover activity, as their such a rarity in this part of North Wales, there some others further down the road just past Pont Fadog, in the Bwlch Y Rhiwgyr direction,  so i recon the  ruined building must have been an inn or rest spot for the Drovers coming up from the coast.

Those Scots Pines look straight towards Cors Y Gedol Hall, and eventually Lletty Loeger and Pont Fadog, so the coach road and route taken by the Drovers, was in this area, but i certainly agree with your that Toulsons book, may be inaccurate in some respects.

Walking towards those Pine trees, i could see a very poorly defined trackway, now obscured by grass, but there's no doubt the Drovers came this way.
« Last Edit: 21:51:55, 29/08/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:15:39, 30/08/17 »
Hi Dyffryn. I now understand totally the route you took - effectively cutting below the 'dimple' in the east face of Moelfre and above the old manganese mine. You threw me initially by saying the road from lower Dyffryn to Cwm Bychan. I'm sure you meant to say to Cwm Nantcol. Certainly you made an unconventional route!

I agree completely with your comments about the Scots Pines near Cors y Gedol. From memory these are close to Tal y Fynnonau SH612244 which was certainly on the drove and stagecoach road. From research I can tell you that the coach road did not turn off at the Victoria. Close but not quite. The next turning just up Llanbedr hill is the actual route. If you look at OL18 you will see that the road is marked by a red cycle route symbol. Follow it south east to Tal y Ffynnonau and Pont Scethin. The western drove route to Pont Fadog split away at either TyF or further north near Tyddyn y Llidiart.

I'm not being smart here but as you are a relative newcomer to Ardudwy and have an interest in your locality I felt that you might appreciate a little accurate information and pointers. I had the privelege of knowing an elderly gentleman who had lived all his life at the western end of the Nantcol and whose local knowledge was  treasure chest of information.

Regards 'Pen'

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:41:08, 30/08/17 »
Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!  :D , many thanks for this info, its much appreciated, its clear your far more knowledgeable about the history of this area, than i am, even though i have read quite a bit about the areas past history.
Its given me a huge boost, to go exploring way off the beaten track, and hopefully discover more about the area, and thankfully there is nothing untoward or dangerous about the Southern Rhinogs.

Its one heck of a shame, that they still remain a mystery to 99% of visitors to this area of Snowdonia, as the walking is easy and very rewarding.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:06:22, 30/08/17 »
Its one heck of a shame, that they still remain a mystery to 99% of visitors to this area of Snowdonia,

I sometimes think that's a blessing rather than a shame.  :D

Any time you have a question just ask.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy