Author Topic: Monocular or binoculars? What to choose?  (Read 3034 times)

Pitboot

Re: Monocular or binoculars? What to choose?
« Reply #15 on: 18:33:04, 17/01/19 »
As ex forces I've used many types of optical instruments, night vision, IR, spotting scopes with huge magnifications, monoculars and binoculars, of excellent and not so good quality.
Also I have used a deer stalking  telescope, big and heavy but excellent for the task. These days as a civvy I often carry a pair of 8 x 20 binos on my travels. Star gazing and wildlife watching are enhanced by a good set of optics.
To the OP, it's binos for me all the way.

I'm fortunate to own a pair made by Swarovski, but you can get really good optics at a fraction of the price.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:45:54, 17/01/19 »
Have you considered a camera with a super zoom lens.  Not £50 but duel purpose

Untill I wrecked my last one I always carried it on walks.  As well as taking great pictures, I would sometimes simply use it to see what was happening in the distance.  They are so clever these days.  One clear evening I snapped some pictures of Jupiter and it's moons.  I didn't even use a tripod for that just the edge of  gate post an some controlled breathing. O0

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/superzoom-compact-cameras/digital-cameras/compact-and-bridge-cameras/344_3199_30301_xx_ba00010674-bv00308602/xx-criteria.html

A few examples here.
« Last Edit: 19:52:49, 17/01/19 by BuzyG »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:43:37, 18/01/19 »
I'm fortunate to own a pair made by Swarovski, but you can get really good optics at a fraction of the price.

My Swarovskis are probably my most treasured possession - partly only
because it will cost so much when I have to replace them. They are only the compact 8x20s (newer models are 8x25) but superb optics.   
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy