Author Topic: Honister Zip Wire proposal  (Read 28948 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Honister Zip Wire proposal
« on: 20:05:41, 31/01/18 »
Have people had a chance to look at the application yet?

Application here
http://bit.ly/2ncl7Sc

I just wondered what others think about it. After looking at most of the documents I am a bit confused with a few things.

The proposals are for two zip wires. The higher wire starts below Black Star close to the via ferrata and will take people 3/4 of the way down, then they have to get to change onto the lower wire. The application claims that no more than 57 people a day will descend on it. I'm not sure how they get this figure because the top wire will only be used by via ferrata users and there are 3 groups of 12 people who use this per day? Isn't that 36?  :-\

The intermediate zip wire lower down will be "accessible to all" including under 10's and disabled people who will access this wire by bus? Or could people walk up too? This bottom wire doesn't seem to be included in the management plan unless I've missed it. So how many people will be allowed to use this lower wire per day?

On the noise report they say the screams and shouts won't be heard by humans but on another document it says there will be a noise impact. Which of these claims is correct?

Honister say the wire will also be used to transport slate during the winter when the wire isn't being used by the public.

Compared to the Thirlmere application this zip wire proposal looks almost "reasonable" but is that only because the claims by TTT in the proposal at Thirlmere are so ludicrous? Honister have sought to address the reasons why the last application was refused.

This is in a National Park, so should this application be refused or approved?

I could never support it myself but I know others who are against Thirlmere who would support this here at Honister. I can't really get my head round that idea, not at Thirlmere but alright on the side of Fleetwith Pike?

It will be interesting to see the responses about Honister from the organisations who have opposed the Thirlmere proposal.

Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Honister Zip Wire proposal
« Reply #1 on: 20:54:04, 31/01/18 »
Once the wire is there then if 200 people turn up to ride it on every Saturday in the summer you can bet your life that there will start to be more than 57 users a day.

While I can see that there are some places where a zip wire is 'less worse' than others nothing will convince me that there should be one in a National Park.

It will come as no surprise to anyone that I will be objecting.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:05:26, 31/01/18 »

While I can see that there are some places where a zip wire is 'less worse' than others nothing will convince me that there should be one in a National Park.
Im with Ridge on this one,
its a national park for Gods sake  :(
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:14:13, 31/01/18 »
So that is 3 of us against, is there anyone on here who would support Honister but was against Thirlmere? I can see it is "less worse" as Ridge puts it but I would like to understand the reasoning behind supporting one and not the other.
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:17:26, 31/01/18 »
If my memory serves me correctly, this is the third application for a zip wire Honister Slate Mine have submitted  >:(

From 2013:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-20890063

What part of "no" don't they understand?  >:(

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:27:45, 31/01/18 »
is there anyone on here who would support Honister but was against Thirlmere?
as we will try to gently persuade then to change their mind by the power of our well thought through arguments.
 :knuppel2: :tickedoff: :knuppel2:

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:47:39, 31/01/18 »
gently persuade

:knuppel2: :tickedoff: :knuppel2:

:) Now Ridge, I really do want to try and understand why someone would be for Honister but against Thirlmere. Posting  :knuppel2: :knuppel2: won't encourage people to post their views. We will be gentle with you   ;)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:28:36, 31/01/18 »
I'm another against this one.  I assume that the timing is on the basis that nobody can be bothered fighting against two proposals at the same time. 

Addingham

« Reply #8 on: 23:48:23, 31/01/18 »
If my memory serves me correctly, this is the third application for a zip wire Honister Slate Mine have submitted  >:(

From 2013:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-20890063

What part of "no" don't they understand?  >:(

Sir Chris Bonington spoke in favour of its installation :-[  That tells a story :(

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:49:29, 01/02/18 »
From Mel's link:

Supporters of the proposal said it would have allowed visitors to return to the base of the mine visitor attraction without damaging the fragile alpine environment on foot.

Is this the same fragile alpine environment they're dumping slag heaps from their mining operation all over?

However, National Park planners said there was a "fundamental principal" at stake that the mountain tops were not the right place for such an activity.

Well if that principal is still in place then why would this application have any more success than the last one did? 
Not all those who wander are lost

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:43:42, 01/02/18 »

This is the new and "improved" application.

Is this the same fragile alpine environment they're dumping slag heaps from their mining operation all over?

It is the same fragile alpine environment. The plans for the zip wire this time are different in that the start of the wire is from near the via ferrata course close to a mine tunnel and not from Black Star top. The plans show they will use posts and wires next to any vegetation to keep via ferrata bods on the other side and away from it as they walk from the via ferrata to the zip wire start. Or Aerial Flight as Honister are calling it.

I wonder if the planners will interpret this plan is as being on a "mountain top" this time? The start of the top wire is proposed to be approx. 100m (in height) below the summit. So will they deem the side of a mountain, close to the top, not the right place for such an activity?

I thought I'd read in one of the documents that the lower zip wire would only be used by people on the mine tour but I can't see where I read that amongst the documents. They have one mine tour per day. If they are limiting the numbers of participants so much, how are they going to make money from it? They haven't quoted any prices for the "aerial flight" that I can see.
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:55:33, 01/02/18 »
I'm against the Honister zip wire. I don't think national parks and AONBs are the place for these things.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:36:11, 01/02/18 »
Given the timing, I suspect it's a case of submitting this application which will be hard to refuse if the a Thirlmere application succeeds. I am less opposed to the Honister one, though that does not mean I am not opposed at all.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:53:21, 01/02/18 »
I wouldn't support this though arguably it's less scenic than Thirlmere.

I thought there already was a zip wire in the lakes, at Go Ape in Whinlatter. Though probably not on the scale of the Honister and Thirlmere.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:58:03, 07/02/18 »
Dazza there are zip wires, at Whinlatter, Grizedale Forest and at Brockhole but as you say on a smaller scale.

I am going to draught my letter of objection later on, I wonder if there will be a zip off Honister campaign? I think a lot of people see this as "not quite as bad" as Thirlmere, so they may not be so actively against it?
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy