Author Topic: The Book of Trespass  (Read 775 times)

Roburite

The Book of Trespass
« on: 15:01:52, 04/01/21 »
I wonder how many of us have been reading "The Book of Trespass" by Nick Hayes? I received it as a Christmas present from my wife. What a good choice (the wife). The book is good too. Having read three chapters slowly (to prolong the pleasure) I've realised that I've been reading it wrong. I need a map along side me so that I can delve into the places he writes about. Thank goodness for OS mapping online. I've got to the end of the third chapter with the map and now I'm going back the the beginning to start again. This is a marvelous book. Nick is a wonderful writer his writing is both exquisite and scholarly.
Directly in front of us, the light has smeared through the dark clouds, flaring off the thistledown, glaring from the wet leaves. Everything glistens. There is an arc of not one but two rainbows, perfectly placed at the end of the ride and the scene is so beautiful it's naff, the closing credits of a Disney film. I breathe it in.
I'd like to hear your thoughts but please don't spoil the ending for me (joke). ;)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: The Book of Trespass
« Reply #1 on: 17:55:03, 04/01/21 »
Ferret posted that he had received that, in the Christmas Walking / Mountain Book thread in the Hikers Bar. Perhaps he will respond.

Ferret

« Reply #2 on: 22:45:41, 04/01/21 »
Ferret posted that he had received that, in the Christmas Walking / Mountain Book thread in the Hikers Bar. Perhaps he will respond.

Well spotted!  O0

I haven't started it yet though. I was also given Hilary Mantel's The Mirror & The Light and plunged straight into that one. It's quite the tome so I imagine it'll be at least a week, if not longer, before I crack open The Book Of Trespass.  

Roburite's mini review has certainly whetted my appetite though. I'll report back once I've read a few chapters.    :)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:34:24, 05/01/21 »
I've just finished it. I enjoyed it and it makes some very interesting points. I live in Scotland, and it made me realise the extent to which I take the right to roam for granted. I'm from Yorkshire, and when I'm back walking with old friends in the dales I'm always taken a aback by how concerned they are about staying on the righteous way, and avoiding getting shouted at.
Warning, it's long. I'm a fast reader and it took days, even with the bad weather. Worth it though

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:39:07, 05/01/21 »
Sounds an interesting read, I welcome any expression of thought challenging the notion that our countryside is made up of 'Private Land', excepting Rights of
Way and Open Access.

I found the author of the article in the Guardian, mentioned in a topic a month or so ago abit airy fairly about the reasons to trespass. I would be interested to know how this author expresses his reasons and the rewards he gets from his trespass. As far as I can understand about the law is there no real basis to say that it is illegal to walk in open countryside, the laws that are used are there to protect property and the products of agriculture. I is only the legacy of a class system that places the occupier of our countryside as the authority that restricts the full sharing of that part of the asset of land, which provides leisure and pastoral relief.

The danger is ignoring the practical aspects that trespass has to offer, whereas 'waxing lyrical' about the romance of a trespass, without learning how we could be better sharing those parts of the countryside is an intellectual dead end. Expressing the romance of a trespass is a recognition of the sensual part, which goes a long way to contribute to the health issues many suffer from urban life, but this must be linked with practical expression.

I look forward to some interesting discussion from those, who read this book, hopefully. Yet to read it myself, not in my Christmas stocking, wondering if it worth the purchase.
masochist stocking
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy