Author Topic: Mount Kilimanjaro  (Read 1138 times)

Jackie1981

• Veteran Member
Mount Kilimanjaro
« on: 12:38:37, 07/02/11 »
Kilimanjaro is something I dream of doing, at the moment it is definitely just dreams! lol.  

But I just wondered if anyone on here had done it?  Just how difficult is it and how much difference does the altitude make to climbing?  

What kind of fitness level would you need to be?  I know altitude effects everyone differently, even the fittest people can have a problem at altitude.  But generally speaking, what kind of fitness level would you need to be?  

joester

• Veteran Member
Re: Mount Kilimanjaro
« Reply #1 on: 13:23:47, 07/02/11 »
If Chris Moyles can do it, I'm sure you can!
solvitur ambulando

Jackie1981

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:19:46, 07/02/11 »
Haha, well that did cross my mind!  O0

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:06:55, 07/02/11 »
Hi Jackie
My daughter (23 at the time) did it last year and summitted successfully - but she described the final ascent vividly as walking up a really steep slope for 7 hours mostly in the dark, in unimaginable freezing cold, suffering from a severe bout of 'flu!! She did have a great time though - in retrospect!!

I think one of the problems is that very few people allow enough time to acclimatise to the altitude, and if you can find a trip that climbs a nearby peak first for training, it should be better - though obviously more expensive.
Altitude sickness has little to do with overall fitness and sometimes affects young people more than it does older.

It looked and sounded amazing though, so if you do decide, have a brilliant time  O0

Paul
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

Jackie1981

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:41:36, 09/02/11 »
Thanks for the info Paul.  Finances mean that it would be 2012 at the earliest but at least that gives plenty of time to get in shape.

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:49:52, 09/02/11 »
Oo errr walking up a steep slope for 7 hours in the dark  :-\. Ouch

Guy

« Reply #6 on: 14:23:22, 12/02/11 »
It's all relative.  I did it a couple of years ago.  I'd got into doing long distance walks (c25 miles) and to be honest the final summit night wasn't any harder than many of those.  We did have relatively good weather though  :) and I aclimistised reasonably well.

Altitude does effect people differently.  And fitness is no guarantee.  But the fitter you are, the less you are stressing your body and the more it can concentre on dealing with the altitude (there's some pig science for you!)

I'd suggest long distance hilly walks are a really good way of preparing - you get used to long days on your feet.  Check out the challenge walk scetion at the www.ldwa.org.uk.  The fitter you are the more you will enjoy it.  I'd suggest going up one of the longer routers (I went up Lemosho).

Some photos are at www.anely.com/pics/2009/kilimanjaro/.  I had a great time!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy