Author Topic: Walking in the Annapurna  (Read 1149 times)

Glyders

• Veteran Member
Walking in the Annapurna
« on: 19:45:22, 01/01/14 »
Has anyone on here been walking in the Annapurna region?

My daughter is going to Nepal for a month on the 26th Jan and will be doing a five trek to Poon Hill while she's there.  She has been given lots of advice from the company she is going with and has been doing a lot of research herself but I wondered if anyone of the walking community might have other advice to offer.

Advice for what she might need to know or take things to take with her would be appreciated.

She is going with Frontier. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks in advance from an anxious mother!  :o
« Last Edit: 00:48:13, 02/01/14 by Glyders »

pgt

Re: Walking in the Annapurna
« Reply #1 on: 20:46:51, 02/01/14 »
I have been walking in that area. I went with Exodus. The view from Poon Hill is superb.
If she is reasonably fit then I am sure she will be OK.
My main advice would be not to rush, walking at that altitude is a lot harder than walking in the UK.
Being short of breath and having minor headaches is quite common so don't worry about that unless the headaches persist. Staying hydrated is important so drink lots of water / black tea.
If you start getting grumpy that is an early sign of dehydration, so take a drink.
I remember getting very angry with some boulders high up a mountain : they were always directly in my path and never in anybody else's way :-). I had some water and then everything was fine !

Avoid the milk : no point risking it. And similarly, I tried to eat as little meat as possible and chose vegetarian options if they were available.

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:20:38, 03/01/14 »
Thankyou very much pgt, I will give my daughter your information.  O0

We've been getting lots of great tips and advice some other places but not about the milk!

Really useful to remember about the water too! Even though she's going with a company, she isn't going with any friends so she will have to check herself with these things whereas with a group of friends, they would probably look out for each other.

She can out do me on any walk and climbs when she can so she will hopefully be fit enough.  :)

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:26:30, 04/01/14 »
Hi Sioban

I think romaway went there about a year ago. You could send him a PM.

MMJ

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:09:47, 05/01/14 »
Thankyou very muchly MMJ  O0

Mountaingirl

« Reply #5 on: 22:17:15, 06/01/14 »
A month!? Lucky her! O0
I went with Exodus too..for 16 days. Walk was not at all hard (for me) as we went with a very leisurely pace. That is to acclimatize ourselves; we approached Annapurna over many days going up and down. There were awful lots of stone steps . And so, don’t forget to take walking poles to support your knees. I suffered headache from day one in Kathmandu, it was not because of the altitude but due to the lack of sleep on overnight flight :o. I had to ask Sherpa for more paracetamol.  Oh, take a mask as Kathmandu is terribly polluted with the heavy traffic. Traffic polices wear masks. I had to cover my mouth and nose with handkerchief tied to the hat.
We walked in tropic countryside up and down the steps most of times but in the last 2 days, suddenly,  snow fell, blizzard was blowing around the MBC (Machapuchare base camp) and deep snow built up to Annapurna Base camp.  On the other hand, there was a lovely hot spring at the foot of mountain too. And so take your swim suits, shorts,  T Shirts and dawn jacket and gaiters! (I went from end March to early April)
Sherpa worked very hard, but always with smile and were very helpful O0

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 00:13:04, 07/01/14 »
Thanks Mountaingirl. Sounds like you had every kind of weather! I think she'll need to take a good mixture of clothing as she'll be going to India for a month after this trip.

She'll have a buff with her so maybe that would be OK to use in Kathmandu? I'm not sure I can persuade her to take poles though, she's only 18 and they would cramp her style me thinks!  :D

She's staying with a Nepalese family while she's there and is doing a variety of other things including some volunteering as well as the walking. 

All this advice has been very reassuring and helpful, so thankyou to everyone who has replied  :) O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy