Author Topic: Stoves  (Read 15709 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Stoves
« Reply #60 on: 16:18:49, 07/03/19 »
Thanks, I was thinking along similar lines, a cheap throw away lighter and wind/waterproof matches as backup  O0
Where there's a will ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 18:39:24, 07/03/19 »
Out of interest how do you light yours?  Matches?  Firestick?  Piezo electric?

We both have one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luminate-Minilite-Candle-Lighter-Multi-Use-Refill-Adjustable-Cooker-BBQ-Camping-/223264920543

They are 14cm long and are refillable. We've used them for a couple of years now, a bargain they were  :)

We got them from Home Bargains though. I think they were less than £1 each if I remember correctly. We also have cheap bic lighters as a backup.
Hate will never win

Ralph

« Reply #62 on: 19:21:06, 07/03/19 »
Poundland do a 3 pack of refillable lighters that has a torch in each one, guess what they cost?.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 19:30:39, 07/03/19 »
Poundland do a 3 pack of refillable lighters that has a torch in each one, guess what they cost?.

:-\  :-\  :-\

Errr…….no, I've no idea  ;)
Hate will never win

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 19:47:03, 07/03/19 »

I'll check when I'm next in there and let you know  ;D
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 19:48:03, 07/03/19 »
We both have one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luminate-Minilite-Candle-Lighter-Multi-Use-Refill-Adjustable-Cooker-BBQ-Camping-/223264920543

They are 14cm long and are refillable. We've used them for a couple of years now, a bargain they were  :)

We got them from Home Bargains though. I think they were less than £1 each if I remember correctly. We also have cheap bic lighters as a backup.

Ta  O0
Where there's a will ...

Litehiker

« Reply #66 on: 20:29:10, 07/03/19 »
AN EASY DIY CANISTER STOVE UPGRADE:

For those of you who use an iso-butane canister of any sort with a canister-top small stove like an MSR Pocket Rocket I would like to recommend making yourself a "Moulder Strip" for cold(er) weather use. The copper strip efficiently transfers heat to the canister to keep it warm and thus keep up the inside pressure. GOOGLE it.

This is a 1.5 cm wide strip of copper that is attached with a Velcro band to your canister side and runs up close beside the stove burner. The copper should be thick enough to easily retain its shape as you will have to shape it to fit near to your burner. And you will need different lengths of Moulder strips to accommodate larger or smaller canister sizes.

You need to insulate the bottom outside of the strip where it rests against canister to protect the Velcro strap that holds it on the canister. Either carbon felt (preferred) or thicker leather will do. Just glue it to the Velcro strap.

Additionally you can make a "cozy" surrounding the canister of carbon felting or thick wool to help retain heat in sub-freezing weather. BUT... for safety you should rely on white gas (petrol) or kerosene for very cold weather. A Refletex aluminized bubble wrap will also do but they are not as durable.

Eric B.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 20:44:50, 07/03/19 »
I remember using those on the "Markhill Stormy" used for hanging bivi's in the alps, AKA "the alpine bomb", never knew the copper strips had a name. As their nickname would suggest they weren't the safest stove ever invented. 

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 08:24:20, 08/03/19 »
AN EASY DIY CANISTER STOVE UPGRADE:

For those of you who use an iso-butane canister of any sort with a canister-top small stove like an MSR Pocket Rocket I would like to recommend making yourself a "Moulder Strip" for cold(er) weather use. The copper strip efficiently transfers heat to the canister to keep it warm and thus keep up the inside pressure. GOOGLE it.

This is a 1.5 cm wide strip of copper that is attached with a Velcro band to your canister side and runs up close beside the stove burner. The copper should be thick enough to easily retain its shape as you will have to shape it to fit near to your burner. And you will need different lengths of Moulder strips to accommodate larger or smaller canister sizes.

You need to insulate the bottom outside of the strip where it rests against canister to protect the Velcro strap that holds it on the canister. Either carbon felt (preferred) or thicker leather will do. Just glue it to the Velcro strap.

Additionally you can make a "cozy" surrounding the canister of carbon felting or thick wool to help retain heat in sub-freezing weather. BUT... for safety you should rely on white gas (petrol) or kerosene for very cold weather. A Refletex aluminized bubble wrap will also do but they are not as durable.

Eric B.

Interesting concept and one I had not come across before.

Just a couple of comments :

1) That is certainly a big problem with Butane which 'freezes' just above 0*C, however most (all ?) of the 'camping gas' cartridges these days are a mix of Butane & Propane (70/30) and perform perfectly well at temperatures well below freezing point.

http://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites/FAQ/FAQ_Mixtures.htm

2) Keeping you gas cartridge in your sleeping bag will ensure that it 'fires up' perfectly in the morning.

I have found that one problem with 'stove top' burners is that when you put a pan on top of the burner a lot of heat is reflected back down onto the gas cartridge and it has been known for this heat to be enough to cause gas expansion, increased pressure and bowing off (explosion) of the valve mechanism.
There are many ways around this (eg by using a 'remote' gas burner connected by a pipe to the cartridge) and even the simple ones like putting a 'pie tray' around the burner flame works, and gets you up on the boil quicker and using less gas (and of course the pleasure of eating the gg-custard first !!)

Litehiker

« Reply #69 on: 18:18:50, 08/03/19 »
alan,

I've never heard of an iso butane/peopane or iso butane canister exploding with normal use, meaning used as intended with a pot or pan on the burner and no additional "wind screens".

The windscreen shown in your photo is similar to the one I made from a disposable pie pan and so far (6 years) it works very well.

yeah, adding propane to the gas mix helps for colder temps but the Moulder strip, as we call it here, still helps. Additionally if you have a remote canister that is held by a stand in an inverted position the liquid comes out 1st and then vaporizes at the burner IF the burner is made for this mode. This has made canisters able to function much below freezing.

Roger Caffin, a New Zealand moderator on Backpacking Light forums has done extensive experiments with this and uses inverted canisters exclusively on his winter trips. That's OK for him but I'll take my trusty MSR Universal in petrol mode. It works to -40 F./C. and if I have to cook in those temps I'm in real trouble!

Eric B.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 20:43:34, 08/03/19 »
Whilst propane in the mix helps a lot, it's still an issue in colder temps. The propane boils off first leaving leads and less in the mix which becomes a lot less efficient and eventually stops working. Inverted stoves overcome this until the temps drop a fair bit further.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 10:31:06, 10/03/19 »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 11:17:52, 10/03/19 »
As a 'can't cook, dont want to cook' kind of person I read all of the entries and  have found the subject very interesting, but for me have found it too complicated to get my head around. What it has done however, is to confirm that I will stay a 'can't cook, don't want to cook' type of hiker.

When I'm hiking I just drink water. Tea, coffee and hot food are bought en route. I'll just continue with my wraps, spreading cheese, nuts and chocky bars and the odd tin of cold Ambrosia custard or rice to sustain me during the day.

The no flame flask look interesting.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #73 on: 18:42:18, 10/03/19 »
I was asked by a friend last week if I wanted a stove his brother has in the shed and was chucking out.  Well, I couldn't let it go to the tip so I said of course!

I now have a Coleman Peak 1 dual fuel stove.  It is old, but bloody hell, what a great bit of kit.  I did loads of Googling on fuel, and have plumped for Naptha, which is used a panel wipe, and cost me £13 for 5l from the local auto-factors as opposed to 1l of Coleman fuel for about £8-£10!  It burns hot, clean and is excellent value.

It's a bit of a blast from the past, but will certainly be getting some use in the coming months.  As it's a bit older it lacks the auto-ignition that has become widespread, and is a bit of a pump/prime/pressure maintaining faff, but I think may well become a well loved bit of kit.

photo: Coleman Peak 1 Stove liquid fuel stove
I had that but one lost it when moving house.  It was very fast, but quite prone to flare ups, especially on lighting. 

Jim Parkin

« Reply #74 on: 18:45:22, 10/03/19 »
I wonder if this lightweight, environmentally friendly cooker will take off ?

https://www.gossamergear.com/products/the-crotch-pot?fbclid=IwAR3_7CzGEsQflXxQ06_YFYkRgG9MXtflSqq2q6-VvFTfumKLE6J5iagnKQ0
It's not going to be able to boil my water for my tea, so I wont use it.  I suppose the link address tells you all you need to know about it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy