Author Topic: Formula for working out backpack weight?  (Read 4343 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Formula for working out backpack weight?
« Reply #15 on: 12:16:37, 01/06/18 »
Wouldn't it be better to start further North so you are doing the Southern part during winter? Just a thought but I wouldn't like to be walking through the far north in January/February time. Apart from the extremely short days it is also much more remote than most other places in the UK.

I think that is a seriously good idea - in fact - why not start 'at the top' in September and work your way 'down' ? save the worst of the weather for parts of the country (hopefully) least affected by it.

Beth FF

« Reply #16 on: 13:46:01, 01/06/18 »
Wouldn't it be better to start further North so you are doing the Southern part during winter? Just a thought but I wouldn't like to be walking through the far north in January/February time. Apart from the extremely short days it is also much more remote than most other places in the UK.
Good point, thanks. The only reason I thought of starting in Southampton is that I know the area a bit (so good for the confidence when just starting out), have family there that makes the start convenient, and a friend there who could join me for a day or 2, but there's nothing to stop me from starting in John o' Groats for example. The plan isn't set in stone so I shall seriously consider this, not that I mind walking in bad weather. Good thing is I have the summer to do lots of research so I make the journey as pain-free as possible  :)
« Last Edit: 13:49:42, 01/06/18 by Beth FF »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:07:41, 11/06/18 »

Thanks :) . Ah, I knew there wouldn't be a simple answer ;) . To give a bit more insight, my plan is to walk the coast of Britain, day after day, until I get back to the start point. I'll be walking all year round, but I won't be camping (I plan to scrounge a spare bed or sofa, or stay in B&Bs) so although I'll be taking clothes for all seasons at least I won't have to take camping kit and loads of food...which has made researching what size rucksack I'll need a little more difficult because articles assume multi day=camping.

I think that you might find it a bit difficult to scrounge a sofa at Cape Wrath, Beth!

Seriously, there are some pretty remote bits of coastline up in the north west of Scotland. There are strategically placed bothies, mind you, but you will need a sleeping bag and camping mat - and you cannot guarantee that they will not be full when you arrive.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 06:50:39, 12/06/18 »

I was thinking some more about your walk around Britain whilst shearing some sheep yesterday; you'll need to do a good 20 miles a day to get around in a year.

I would probably start in Bristol, and go anti-clockwise; that way you'll be on the South Coast during the winter, and be heading north as the days lengthen and the weather improves.

Regarding camping - by the time you are up in the really remote areas where you  might need a tent for a night or two (I'm thinking in particular of Cape Wrath and Knoydart) you'll be as fit as a fiddle, and the extra weight will be no problem. You could have an accomplice send on a tent, sleeping bag and camping mat to a willing B&B owner in Durness on the North Coast, and post it back once you get to Mallaig - or maybe by then you'll be enjoying the camping!

Regarding footwear - you'll be crossing some pretty rough ground in the NW of Scotland and I would recommend boots for this section at least.

Either way - good luck!
« Last Edit: 06:53:54, 12/06/18 by richardh1905 »

Beth FF

« Reply #19 on: 09:33:09, 12/06/18 »
@ Richard
As it will be some time before I get up to Scotland I'm not even thinking about the practicalities of walking the more difficult sections in the west at the moment. As you say, I will be considerably fitter once I get up that far (plus probably more confident) so may well have got my head around wild camping by then. Often I just need a bit of time to get my heead around something then I'm OK  :D

Regarding time frame, I'm not aiming to only take a year as I want to enjoy the experience, see some of the sights etc. At this stage the only plan I have is to walk from one RNLI station to the next and not do more than my body can cope with. For the next 3 weeks I'm supposed to be concentrating on writing my dissertation (1st class procrastination going on! :-[ ) but once that's out of the way I can calculate the distances between stations, what my likely daily mileage will be, how long I expect it to take me to walk particular sections, and consequently where the ideal locations would be per time of year.

I'm off to the physio on Thursday to iron out a couple of minor twinges and for a total body assessment to highlight any weaknesses so they don't turn into injuries. He can also help devise a realistic training plan for me and advise on mileage etc once I'm on my journey  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:19:35, 23/06/18 »
Good luck with the dissertation Beth. And do keep us updated with how you get on with your walk - I for one am interested.
« Last Edit: 10:46:00, 23/06/18 by richardh1905 »

IanyZen

« Reply #21 on: 20:24:43, 24/07/18 »
Hi Beth,
"Every great journey starts with one step"

It's a huge trip. I would break it down into small sections, just plan the first couple or so and adapt as you go.
You'll learn what you need and can live without.

I must echo the idea of starting in, say Bristol or Mindhead in September and walking round the South West Coast Path to Poole, Dorset.
There are three well written books - Trailblazer Guides - these will help you with your planning and give you loads of confidence. (I can lend you mine)

Maybe it's just me, I carry a tent and enjoy the peace of mind knowing that if I don't end up where I planned I can just pitch up anywhere in any weather. You'd be surprised how remote some parts of the coast are, with few people around.
I'd pack a survival bivvy just in case, just for peace of mind.

You probably need the same amount of stuff for a 4 day/3 night walk than you do for 30 nights, as you can wash, restock & buy on the go.
So a 4 day/3 night would be fine if you are planning to do a short practice run with your chosen equipment. Recommended.

You're choice of shoes are fine. I walk/run in Inov8 trail shoes, super light and comfortable.

Planning -
Hope for the best (dry weather, free stay in house, hot shower, home cooked meal, wine, chat & laugh with friends, place to recharge phone, comfy bed, hearty breakfast = re-engerised)
Plan for the worst (sleeping in bus shelter or worse, raining, wet, cold, no phone battery, injured, no pub, no local shop, poor nutritional meal, alone = ?)
Okay, sorry, I didn't want to paint a bad picture, but plan for that worst case -
 - bivvy bag / tent, top quality clothing (tested out), phone battery pack, first aid kit, knowing your walking limits, google maps is your friend, carrying emergency food supplies.

Good luck with your dissertation.
There is plenty of expert knowledge and advise to be found amongst us on this site - you've come to the right place, with many of us already trodden where you are planning to go, albeit not in one go.
We all wish you well.
I live in Brighton, on the coast, so at some point you'll be passing by - you're welcome to crash, if you don't mind Zen, my dog
(yes I can provide all the above in the 'hope for the best').
We'd probably come and walk the next day with you.

Ian & Zen

Good luck on your next adventure
Ian & Zen

Doddy

« Reply #22 on: 20:35:28, 29/07/18 »

Are you aware of Peter Mears, he has the -pale blue dot public group- on Facebook. Peter is year into doing the GB coastline. He is also committed to sleeping out every night; I understand he does accept the odd job to finance the trek, a meal and garden camp.
On my SWCP I met a couple also doing this they had been out for 18 months and they said about another four months to complete. They said Essex was a trial as they were so many estuaries to get round.
I would read Ray Jardines book Beyond Backpacking, much useful advice in that; not least doing a long trek (several hundred mile in your case) as training to get the confidence in yourself and all your gear.

Doddy

« Reply #23 on: 16:05:14, 30/07/18 »
I understand the section from John o`Groats to Inverness by coast is evidently not the easiest to travel and is a work in progress lacking the usual trail infrastructure; some bridges, waymarking.

Google John o` Groats Trail.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 07:09:49, 31/07/18 »
I understand the section from John o`Groats to Inverness by coast is evidently not the easiest to travel and is a work in progress lacking the usual trail infrastructure; some bridges, waymarking.

Google John o` Groats Trail.

I wasn't aware of this, Doddy; thanks for posting. On my way south down the A9, I sometimes see rucksack toting 'end to enders' disconsolately plodding along the side of the road - not good for their nerves :o

Whiten Head and Cape Wrath in particular I think will be tough; very remote.

Doddy

« Reply #25 on: 15:41:52, 31/07/18 »

Avoiding the A9- one reason on my sectional End to End I went up to Cape Wrath.
I was very fortunate with the weather up there in a May sometime back. I saw three rain drops and four midges. Food resupply is an issue up there seven days supply needed from Ullapool. I did  it with five days and rang ahead to the odd Hotel to see if they would serve me a meal or make me a sandwich when I passed. I got a meal and a sandwich and fruit at one- might only work if you were solo. A small supermarket in Durness; I was paranoid there not to miss the post bus and rushed after the school bus thinking that was the lift.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy