Author Topic: Steering or pedal lock advice needed fo mocro camper  (Read 2995 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Steering or pedal lock advice needed fo mocro camper
« Reply #15 on: 19:40:36, 13/03/19 »
Unfortunately no, as the isolation switch on top of the battery terminal, will cut off all electrical power to your vehicle.
If your car is fitted with one of these Thatcham approved alarms, then there has to be an electrical source supplying power to it.

You have probably discovered the only disadvantage to a cut off switch, but what's use of an alarm, if your up a mountain miles away from your vehicle, and someone is trying to steal your motor.

It would be far better to foil a thief, who simply cannot understand why your battery appears flat.

If he cannot start your vehicle, he will simply give up.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:14:41, 13/03/19 »
Use of the switch must mean you have to reset all your radio presets and bass, treble settings afterwards as well.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:50:51, 13/03/19 »
DA is in the right ballpark, but the best place to fit an isolator switch on a modern (I. E. Post distributor cap) is an isolation switch to the fuel pump.
Then they would need to lift and tow the vehicle away. A doddle to fit and hide switch and no resets needed on anything. If the car is venerable then removal of rotor arm from distributor is still the easiest and cheapest, and best way of disabling the engine.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Ronin83

« Reply #18 on: 08:36:09, 16/03/19 »
Electrify the chassis

Doddy

« Reply #19 on: 17:03:59, 19/03/19 »
I d[/color]  
ecided on a steering wheel Stoplock from [/color]  
Halfords. I was put off the Disklok because of its size and storage room needed.[/color]  

KimE

« Reply #20 on: 17:50:35, 23/03/19 »
In my parts of the wood I leave the keys on a weel or under a rock to dont have the risc to loose them under the walk. The risc of loosing them are bigger than what someone steals the car. Once i hide my keys under my car and it was a snake then i reached for them a hair rising moment but nothing happened. One time i had a 2£ flashlight stolen from the only partly locked car while hunting a friend had his apartment keys and binocular stolen and the carwindow broked the same time so its cheaper to have a unlocked car.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:10:38, 23/03/19 »
I get the worry about losing car keys. I actually did lose mine and my companion’s house key while on the Snowdon Horseshoe and didn’t realise until I reached the monstrosity on the summit. Fortunately, just after I realised the loss a message went out that some keys had been found and they were mine. I later came across the walkers that had found them near the obelisk at Bwlch Glas and handed them in. I was very relieved, as my spare keys were in Southampton and my walking companion’s spares were on the Wirral.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:00:48, 23/03/19 »
I lost the keys to the company van while I was doing a recce for a natural history walk that was going to lead a couple of weeks later.
I went back around the route three times looking for them, the 2nd and 3rd times poking in the pathside vegetation with a stick.
The worst thing is not having a clue where you might have dropped them.
Next morning I was up and ready an hour earlier than usual. I disturbed my manager's breakfast with the bad news, picked up a set of master keys with the threat of my dangly bits being cut off if I didn't take care of those, got my wife to drive me to the remote spot where I'd parked the van (I had fears that some opportunist might have picked the keys up near the van and made off with it later), drove to get some new keys cut, drove back to return the precious master keys, and eventually started work.
That was one of many occasions when I was close to getting the sack!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 23:06:19, 23/03/19 »
Part of my walk starting ritual is to lock my car and say to myself "Here I am locking my car and zipping the keys into my pocket* as I do it.  I always put my keys into the same pocket and zip it up (one of the benefits of Craghopper trousers is a zip up pocket). This ritual stops we walking off and stopping 200 yards down the road thinking "Did I lock the car?"   I do not touch this pocket until the walk is over but I do give it the odd reassuring tap to make sure the key fob is there,

In the event I am not wearing trousers with a zip up pocket I will zip them into my fleece if I am wearing one or attach them to the key clip in my ruck sack (that funny little clip, usually in the top pocket tha you always wondered what it was for).  I each case I say where I am putting the keys as I do it as it reinforces the process. Seems a bit weird but somehow it works.
Solvitur Ambulando

Doddy

Re: Steering or pedal lock advice needed for micro camper
« Reply #24 on: 14:58:27, 28/03/19 »
I have small safe embedded in my camper with a spare key in it. One time if needed I did think at least I could break in and get at the key. I have since thought better of it and now have a spare spare key and the regular car key chained in two locations in my back pack. As you might guess I have had an issue with keys and the thought of being in the dark in some village with no help about has stayed with me.
« Last Edit: 15:14:09, 28/03/19 by Doddy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy