Author Topic: The 75 days to freedom walk  (Read 1962 times)

Mascha46

The 75 days to freedom walk
« on: 10:37:57, 27/01/20 »
Dear all,
I need your help!!! (help question in the last part of this letter by the way)
Freedom. My generation, that ones after that and that of parents…. we grew up in a life without war. Freedom. It seems so incredibly common today. It should also be normal, but it is not. Many young generations have forgotten what we owe that freedom to. We are too concerned with ourselves. And why not. It's possible. We have an extreme food choice every day and can sleep safely and carefree every night.
It also has a downside. We become increasingly individualistic. We see ourselves as the centre of the universe. You "must" find your passion and make it work for you. You "must" have a large online social network, and you "must" have an exciting private life filled with fun things. And we are kind of gone too far with that. What was the passion of people in the second world war? To survive the day. Ensure that you had something to eat at least that day. Hope your loved ones were alive that day. And that in continuous fear.
How different that was 75 years ago. The second world war ended 75 years ago. 75 years ago we got our "freedom" back. 75 years ago men came from overseas who gave it back to us. A freedom for which many of these men died and suffered.
This year the Liberation Route opens. It is the route that the Allied forces travelled through Europe for our freedom. As of 6 June (landing day) I want to walk this route together with a Frenchman, a Belgian, an Englishman, an American, a Canadian a German, a Polish man and a Dutch person (me). Together. 1500 km in 75 days. From Omaha Beach to Berln. 75 days to freedom it is called. To honour those who have fought for our freedom. We are not professionals. We are just citizens and before we started training we could just walk 6 km. Well, that changed
Of course we know that we walk the route in completely different conditions than the forces back then. We will not be shot at, we have the right equipment and clothing, we do not have to worry about stepping on a land mine. We know that we can sleep safely and that our loved ones are safe at home. But we will not see them for 2.5 months. Because even though "safe" the route will be a huge journey. An adventure and a special journey. But we will do it together. Allied, occupied and occupier. Because only then the message comes across.
We try those 75 days to freedom without making any costs. By finding people who will voluntarily offer us a place to sleep and food who want. But we want to do more by approaching people and the media (think of famous people, veterans of that time, (famous) current veterans, soldiers, historians) to walk a day with us and to hear personal stories about their lives and what freedom means to them. And to sometimes just walk in silence together to honour the men gave us our freedom and to visit special points of interest on the route. Citizens are also allowed to join us on the stages.
Now we linked a good cause to this. At this moment 420 million  children are living in war-affected countries - or one in nine children worldwide. The WarChild Foundation (associated with the international ‘Free the Children’ foundation)  is a wonderful goal and we are now talking to them how to make this as huge as possible. Because we want every child in the world, just like us, to grow up in a life without war. Not just 75 years, but forever. So every child in the world can follow their dreams safely and in complete freedom, and make the difference for the generations to come.
To achieve this, we are going to be sponsored. The people who want to walk with us can also find sponsors. And the Warchild foundation will do a lot of marketing (yes, I even need to show my face on TV shows!! :-O
Here comes the question; For me it is aproblem to find that Belgian, German, Polish person and French Guy, UK, US and Canada. And my network is simply to small. So I hoped your organization could help me spread the message. We are NOT looking for a die hard sportsman/woman. Just an ordinary person like me. For whom the first 6 km hiking I did really hurted like hell 😉, someone who supports our goals and would be able to take a ‘sabbatical’ of 2,5 months for this goal. Age does not matter. Someone who has the heart and the courage to change the world, to make a difference. Even if just a little. We will walk 30 km’s a day so we can plan 2 resting days a week. There will be interviews in all countries so it can not be someone who is camera shy. Would you please help me to see if you know someone who would really like this?

Kind regards,

Mascha van Gool

Freedom Walker
« Last Edit: 11:07:24, 27/01/20 by Mascha46 »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: The 75 days to freedom walk
« Reply #1 on: 10:40:05, 27/01/20 »
Too many words for me!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:47:51, 27/01/20 »
And what about the Indian Army, the nepalis, the Anzacs and all the African countries? Commonwealth troops from every  inhabited continent fought in that war
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mascha46

« Reply #3 on: 11:09:20, 27/01/20 »
There are many more. But we chose the special made official Liberation Route in Europe that opens officially this year. But everyone that fought or suffered in Europe is welcome

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:19:23, 27/01/20 »
I'll have a go at reading this later today and then comment.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:23:06, 27/01/20 »
My generation, that ones after that and that of parents…. we grew up in a life without war.
Is there ever a year without war?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:31:41, 27/01/20 »
I read somewhere that 1964 was the only year in the twentieth century when no British soldiers were killed in action. I have no idea whether this is true or not but it makes you think.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:49:20, 27/01/20 »
I can't remember one.Korea was terrible and seems to have been forgotten. A friends brother died there whilst serving with the Gloucestershire Regiment.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:51:44, 27/01/20 »
I read somewhere that 1964 was the only year in the twentieth century when no British soldiers were killed in action. I have no idea whether this is true or not but it makes you think.
Nearly, according to the Daily Torygraph it was 1968. I never realised that either.

Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:01:02, 27/01/20 »
Depends on how far afield you look and what you mean by war.  As a Serviceman, most of the time even when there wasn’t an outright conflict there were still people who wished me and my family harm. I found it sad that at one time I had 2 children, one pre school and one in First School, both of whom knew how to search our car for bombs and made sure daddy did it before we set off.  I suspect I am not alone in that on this forum.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:24:45, 27/01/20 »
I found it sad that at one time I had 2 children, one pre school and one in First School, both of whom knew how to search our car for bombs and made sure daddy did it before we set off.  I suspect I am not alone in that on this forum.

You're not, my three both learnt how to check the car, and also report anything suspicious, before they were 11. 
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:25:13, 27/01/20 »
I had a client who had fought in the Korean War and was overlooked for a pension. Always remember going to a hearing with him in London, with three doddery old men who listed but I always felt that they were 'away with the fairies' but Hey what do I know! He got the pension and it was backdated, can't remember to when though. He told me the first thing he did with the money was to pay off his daughter's shopping debts. Always remember him because all the kids in the area thought he was Father Christmas, portly, white hair, and white beard, he really looked the part.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:52:12, 28/01/20 »
I worked with guys who had done national service and went to Cyprus and lost friends there.

It's all uphill from here.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:58:23, 04/02/20 »
Nearly, according to the Daily Torygraph it was 1968. I never realised that either.
I doubt that too. my brother in the RAF regiment then, mentioned about the bodies of SAS being found mutilated during their secret operations in Salalah. where he was based.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy