Author Topic: Waterproof gloves  (Read 3755 times)

RogerA

Waterproof gloves
« on: 12:01:28, 08/01/18 »
I'm looking to buy some waterproof gloves as a replacement for my thinsulate ones that are great unless it rains.
I've had a quick look at a few in the shops but am so far finding it difficult to find some big enough - I cant get sealskinz xxl over my hands. Other brands I've looked at arnt a lot bigger.

Does anyone have a suggestion for where to find big waterproof gloves or what makes to look out for?

Thanks

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Waterproof gloves
« Reply #1 on: 13:01:00, 08/01/18 »
I bought a pair  of ski mits two  years ago in an end of season sale. Very waterproof very light and they have clips that attach to my rain jacket sleeves. I use them over light gloves.  Love them. They do the job.
Also very cheap.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:22:57, 08/01/18 »
Have you ever considered some waterproof overmits.
A fully waterproof glove has one huge disadvantage, the stitching and seams along the fingers can prove a weak spot.
With an overmit, there are far fewer seams to allow water ingress, and you are almost spoilt for choice.
How often is the weather severe enough to warrant fully waterproof gloves, not that often, overmits covering your standard gloves may be a better solution.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:01:44, 08/01/18 »
Wouldn't touch Sealskinz with a bargepole, being the unhappy owner of a pair.  They're worse than useless.

Unless you need the dexterity of a pair of gloves get a pair of Extremities Tuff Bag goretex overmitts (or similar), they have the advantage that you can wear different thicknesses of glove beneath them depending on conditions.
Not all those who wander are lost

RogerA

« Reply #4 on: 14:29:44, 08/01/18 »
Thanks, it seems overmits are the way to go then. I'd not considered them before nor have ever tried any so I'll stop off somewhere and try some on my way home tonight.

Thanks again

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:07:12, 08/01/18 »
A couple of the options here might be worth a closer look https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/outdoor-clothing/gloves-accessories.html

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:56:38, 08/01/18 »
I use Thinsulate gloves and a pair of mittens when needed. I often find that hot hands make me really uncomfortable so to control getting wet hands and wet gloves I came up with a home made idea. I cut the sleeves off just below the elbow of an old waterproof jacket, my wifes friend then elasticated the elbow end and when its really wet I just slip them over my gloves and under my jacket sleeves. They are about 2" longer than the end of my fingers. As long as I don't put my hands up in the air I stay perfectly warm and dry.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:47:14, 08/01/18 »
I personally find water"proof" gloves a bit of a non-starter.  They may repel water but as soon as you grab something soggy (gate/stile), it pushes the water through the material, rendering the "proofing" useless.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:20:04, 08/01/18 »
I use Thinsulate gloves and a pair of mittens when needed. I often find that hot hands make me really uncomfortable so to control getting wet hands and wet gloves I came up with a home made idea. I cut the sleeves off just below the elbow of an old waterproof jacket, my wifes friend then elasticated the elbow end and when its really wet I just slip them over my gloves and under my jacket sleeves. They are about 2" longer than the end of my fingers. As long as I don't put my hands up in the air I stay perfectly warm and dry.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:56:04, 08/01/18 »
I think that rain skirt needs to be a little  longer to better protect the knees.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:13:57, 09/01/18 »
Spot on! At least the arms are the right length.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:33:44, 09/01/18 »
Ski gloves for me, too - cheap, loads of suppliers so you can get the right size, and waterproof -and there's no problem finding them in the shops! Had my last pair for donkey's years, never a problem.

wobblyknees

« Reply #12 on: 10:39:55, 10/01/18 »
Wouldn't touch Sealskinz with a bargepole, being the unhappy owner of a pair.  They're worse than useless.

O0 Couldn't agree more. My cheap pair of Aldi skiing gloves for less than a tenner beats the socks off my Sealskinz costing over €40. Aldi have a skiing special including gloves and mitts and merino ski glove liners in Ireland tomorrow. Special offers in Aldi UK are usually about the same time.

Chris954

« Reply #13 on: 22:23:18, 10/01/18 »
I came to the conclusion on Sunday that its not worth spending a lot of money on waterproof/gore tex lined gloves after grabbing hold of a branch that turned out to be a thorn.

PeterDevon

« Reply #14 on: 08:13:43, 11/01/18 »
A couple of the options here might be worth a closer look https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/outdoor-clothing/gloves-accessories.html [nofollow]
I just got a pair of medium they are fairly big and are excellent for the price, thanks for the tip.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy