Author Topic: Dopey questions about stoves  (Read 1782 times)

everylittlebreeze

Dopey questions about stoves
« on: 16:47:12, 16/07/08 »
I've been googling a bit trying to find the answer to this, but without success ... if I buy a Primus stove (I've got my beady eye on an Eta Express), do I have to use Primus brand gas cartridges, or will any brand do?

Also, how should I dispose of gas cartridges after use?  I imagine just chucking them into a rubbish bin isn't the way to go.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Dopey questions about stoves
« Reply #1 on: 21:02:01, 16/07/08 »
Ive got a primus gas stove and it uses coleman cartridges without a problem.

Good stove  by the way - Ive used it for five + years and it's igniter still works...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:48:21, 16/07/08 »
the standard is called EN 417 and should be LP-gas 70/30 butane/propane, they're available all over the place

good question about disposal, if they're empty then they're just bits of metal and go wherever you normally put that. I'm always surprised you can't return them to the store for reuse or recycling like the big cylinders.

John Manning

« Reply #3 on: 22:46:29, 16/07/08 »
Not a dopey question at all. Despite having backpacked with cartridge stoves for yonks, I bought the wrong type of cartridge in the States in 04; fortunately some horsepackers who were following the same trail could use it on their multi-burner so it wasn't wasted.

Yes, gas cartridges tend to be a standard fitting so, above tale not withstanding, just about any brand's will do -  as long as the thread's the same; there's more than one standard type of standard fitting!

Look for SELF-SEALING EN 417 cartridges, not the pierceable EN417s. If in doubt take your stove to the store when you buy gas and they'll check it for you.

As for recycling, some stores take back the near-empties (you'll probably never completely empty one), but it's a problem.

Coleman's website states simply "Cartridges end of life: Different for each country, check with the local authority" which ain't very good.

Campingaz's statement is more precise but no more helpful: "Cartridges end of life: Be they valve or pierceable cartridges, when they are empty, please do not leave them in the nature. You can put them in the carbage. As in metal, they will be recycled."

Suspect that applies in countries where trash is sorted for recycling.

Cadac's says: "Help and Advice info here" -  yes, that's all!

Couldn't find anything on the Optimus, GoSystem or Primus sites.

A link to "fill-your-gas-cans.com" on Rekri8's page (parent company of Cadac & GoSystem) ain't active and the site doesn't seem to exist.

Unless you're using something like Coleman's Fyrestorm stoves, which invert the canisters to get as much juice as possible out of them, it's hard to completely empty a canister in normal use. I usually burn off as much gas as is absolutely possible and, shamed to admit, put it in the trash.

There, that was quite an interesting ten minutes I just spent surfing!

Off to the OutDoor show in Germany tomorrow so if I get chance I'll ask some of the above companies' representatives what their intentions are re recycling.
“Keep close to Nature's heart… and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”
John Muir

everylittlebreeze

« Reply #4 on: 06:55:54, 17/07/08 »
Many thanks to all of you, especially John - that's thorough research!

Sounds as if the cartridges are a bit like bicycle inner tubes then, in that you can use more or less any make as long as you've got the right valve.  I did wonder about disposal as I guess the cartridge is never really empty, but still has a bit of gas in it at equal pressure with the atmosphere.

Thanks again, I shall now buy that stove and do some experiments in the back garden!

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:31:56, 21/07/08 »
I bought a Vaude Markill stove for a LEJOG earlier this year, and have found it great to use. As above, you can use all types of resealable cartridges with it EXCEPT the Camping Gaz ones.

Beware though, I found that some Coleman ones didn't fit..... I was told there had been a manufacturing problem with them and that the valve spigot was too low to be activated by the push-rod on the valve on the stove. Otherwise, I have fed it on all sorts.

I suggest you have a look at this one, as it only weighs 90 grammes !!! Try Ultra Light Walking Gear . com (or google it).
Courage doesn't always roar like a lion. Sometimes courage is a small voice at the end of a long hard day saying "I'll try again tomorrow".

Snowman

« Reply #6 on: 15:03:12, 29/07/08 »
I have mentioned this before, but there's a lot mentioned here about resealable cartridges, which are NOT available in all European countries, and therefore one can assume many other non-European countries.

I have a Coleman stove, and bought a Coleman resealable adapter.   You simply slot in a non-resealable cartridge and use it was if it was resealable.    The price of resealable cartridges also makes this approach quite cost effective.    I've used this adapter with all sorts of cartridges, including non-branded ones from a back-street 'shop' (of sorts) where there was no alternative, and it works well.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy