Author Topic: Cairn Toul, the Coire Dhondail path and the stride extender.  (Read 3868 times)

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
A pleasant visit to Cairn Toul from Glen Eanaich using the old stalkers Coire Dhondail path for access. The stride extendor was used to get from near Whitewell up to close to the Loch where the path begins.

Cairn Toul, the Coire Dhondail path and the stride extender  http://gaffr.blogspot.com   
« Last Edit: 14:46:15, 22/09/19 by vizzavona »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Ooh, now we're talking!

I particularly like the shots of the sun striking the Sgoran crags at an angle - throws them into sharp relief, and the shot of Cairn Toul behind Sgor an Lochan Uaine - makes me want to be there. Lovely country, that I have only just starting to become acquainted with. 

I thought about ascending via Coire Dhondail when I climbed Braeriach in June, and I fancy a wild camp at Lochan Uaine - not sure if there is a scrap of level ground big enough for my tent, though.

Your stride extender certainly proving it's worth!
« Last Edit: 17:09:23, 22/09/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
What sort of 'Stride Extender' do you have?

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
Hello,
At the moment it is an off-road bike that I received from the folks at work when I retired twelve years ago.  It is good to stay within just a few miles away from well now a couple of helpful bike shops in Aviemore. I have always had bikes all of my days in the city and up here in the Highlands....in fact I used an old road bike for 35 years to get to and from work.
I do tend to use the bike mainly off road...forest trails and to get into hills on reasonable paths and estate tracks etc.  I avoid tarred roads most of the time.  Living in a holiday area with loads of traffic in all seasons I find that bikes and roads mainly do not mix well. Most weeks will find me pedalling into Glen Feshie or on a trail using my daughters bike to ride a trail from Boat of Garten through to Carrbridge etc my reward for a few hours of gardening. ….cup of tea and a scone before the return journey.

It is not all easy riding on the bike especially on the gravelly trails.  I blame the gravelly mud in places for my chain being parted about half an hour from Whitewell on Friday coming back from Eanich.....had my pump, spare tube and repair patches etc but on this occasion no chain break/chain fix tool with me.....'shanks' pony' with an injured horse for the last bit of the return.
On Friday I took my wife's bike that has a useful Pannier bag to take the spares kit and of course my boots that I change into before getting on the hill...fortunately she is visiting relatives at the moment so didn't see any of the chain being joined up again yesterday.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
I won't tell if you won't  ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Have you been to Lochan Uaine, Vizzavona? The Cairn Toul one?

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
Yes, a couple of times in both summer and winter for the N.E. Ridge of Sgor an Lochan Uaine….that's about as close that I have been to the Lochan. I guess you are looking for a tent pitch in the area?
At the moment I can't find any images of the area.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
I guess you are looking for a tent pitch in the area?

Got my eye on it, certainly. :)

Owen

• Veteran Member
I did Angles Ridge a couple of years ago, I camped near the An Garbh Coire refuge before doing the scramble. From what I remember it's very much scree around the Lochan but I wasn't really looking at the time.

snoopdawg

Nice one, those 2 snow patches are still there, saw them going up to The Pools of Dee last week. Good chance of lasting all year.

Owen

• Veteran Member

Got my eye on it, certainly. :)

Came across this on you tube quite a nice vid and shows some of the ground around Lochan Uaine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drZ-zpLfKhM  

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
Thanks for that ….nice wee video of the ridge, a route that is good in all seasons, provided you choose the day out in good weather conditions.
I have never seen the wee refuge looking so good renovated, clean and tidy....hope that it stays that way.

Owen

• Veteran Member
I have never seen the wee refuge looking so good renovated, clean and tidy....hope that it stays that way.

Yes the last time I was there the refuge was in a very bad state, almost fallen down. I wouldn't have liked to stay in it. I must get up there and have a look now it's been done up.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
A lovely selection of photos vizzavona O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
Further to the remaining snow-patches in the Garbh Choire Mor. It was reported in the Guardian news a couple of days ago that the so-called Sphinx snow-patch was still around when the first snows of the current winter fell. :-)
I think that the snow in this choire has only ever completely gone a few times within recent memory.
The image that I sent with the post of the day out can be zoomed in to see a person beside one of the two patches....maybe the person who does the 'recording' of lingering snow-patches?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy