Author Topic: What is your favourite AW and your least favourite AW?  (Read 37267 times)

April

• Veteran Member
I was asked this by Jim (alreet hinny?) and  Ridge on another thread last night.

Best AW for me is Blencathra. I love it to look at and to go up it, Halls Fell, Doddick Fell, Gategill Fell, Sharp Edge are all super routes. I hope the new owners treat it well.

Worst AW for me is Little Mell Fell. It is so boring doing it, just up and down in 30 minutes and so far away from other fells and lots of road walking for those with no car.

Hate will never win

Son of the rock

Re: What is your favourite AW and your least favourite AW?
« Reply #1 on: 08:06:58, 17/07/14 »
Sorry. I have to ask. What's an AW?

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:29:01, 17/07/14 »

I'm guessing Alfred Wainwright.

Rob.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:42:54, 17/07/14 »
I was asked this by Jim (alreet hinny?) and  Ridge on another thread last night.

Best AW for me is Blencathra. I love it to look at and to go up it, Halls Fell, Doddick Fell, Gategill Fell, Sharp Edge are all super routes. I hope the new owners treat it well.

Worst AW for me is Little Mell Fell. It is so boring doing it, just up and down in 30 minutes and so far away from other fells and lots of road walking for those with no car.

I'm going to have to agree on both counts ;D

Though I've only done 17 :-[ so the odds were not that remote.

Been up Blencathra 3 times.  Got to say that Sharp Edge contributes a lot towards my choice being the challenge that it was to finally get across it.

It's also the first big mountain I see every time I visit the Lakes and always gets the pulse racing.

I've camped a couple of times at "The Quiet Site" (nice campsite) at the foot of little mell fell.

Did a walk right round the fell the first time I was there in 2010.  It's quite a short sharp pull onto the top but the rest of the walk was pretty uninspiring, save for the nice views at the top.

Favourite - Blencathra (runner up possibly Catstye Cam)
Worst - Little Mell Fell

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:52:19, 17/07/14 »
I assumed we would all vote for Mungrisedale Common as the worst, it really is hardly a separate hill at all. I've not walked either of the Mell Fells but I do have a soft spot for them as they are the first Wainwrights you pass as you drive down Route 66.

Favourite is too hard a question, Blencathra is a good suggestion, Helvellyn may be too obvious. I thought I would decide while I typed my answer but I still don't know.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:54:31, 17/07/14 »
Favourite I'm not sure about but am tempted to say Crinkle Crags although the last time I was up there the weather was bloody terrible and it wasn't a great experience.

Least favourite? I suspect I've got quite a few candidates left - I've yet to tackle Little Mell Fell and most of the more isolated tiddlers. A new one for me last weekend was Sour Howes, that was pretty dull despite the views of Windermere.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:22:00, 17/07/14 »

Sorry! I'm too lazy to write Wainwright so I always use AW.

Ridge I did think about Mungrisdale Common but decided the routes to get there made up for the dullness of the top and I do like the Cloven Stone too.  :)
Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:26:34, 17/07/14 »
Out of the 46 ive done so far Skiddaw Little Man for the views over the entire ranges and Sharp Edge for the buzz and the worse because it is so boring is Binsey a straight line up and back down.  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

jimmy mac

« Reply #8 on: 13:54:50, 17/07/14 »
MINE TOSS UP BETWEEN CARROCK FELL & PILLAR . LEAST ONE BE BINSEY PROBABLY BECAUSE ITS OUT OF THE WAY JIM O0
........UTRINQUE PARATUS..........

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:19:53, 17/07/14 »
Least fave - Mungrisdale Common or Ullscarf.
Favourite - Langdale Pikes - probably Pavey Ark (I just love Stickle Tarn) and Pillar because I love Black Sali Pass.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:29:03, 18/07/14 »
 My criteria for choosing a fave AW is how many sporting days out I have had on any single hill, and the winner by a mile is Scafell.

It’s got hundreds of different routes up it ranging from easy walks thro to the hardest rock climbs it’s got a magical and often tragic well documented history going back to 1802.
It has one of the most recognisable skylines in the UK even the easiest way up is a challenging walk and its got my fave high level camping spot in the Lakes.

In Brackenclose at its foot it has the best climbing hut in the UK, sitting on the porch sipping G&T's watching the sun set over Wastwater has to be my fave view ever.

I have had dozens of fantastic days out summer and winter on this hill over the years.

As for my least fave AW’s I believe that the old man realised he probably had only got enough top quality material for 3 maybe 4 books so he had to find a lot of fillers in to make up 6 books. Therefore there are a lot of very average and as some of you have said boring hillocks in the 214.
« Last Edit: 09:33:05, 18/07/14 by midweekmountain »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:38:57, 18/07/14 »
As for my least fave AW’s I believe that the old man realised he probably had only got enough top quality material for 3 maybe 4 books so he had to find a lot of fillers in to make up 6 books. Therefore there are a lot of very average and as some of you have said boring hillocks in the 214.
MWM, what is your reason for this belief? He was always planning to write 7 books even before he knew if they would get published, it is not like he expanded the Pictorial Guide series to cash in on his popularity. If it is true there is even more padding than you imagine as he made them up to 7 books.

Some books he did later, on the other hand, were probably not his best ideas.

jacko

« Reply #12 on: 15:51:32, 18/07/14 »
Best is Blencathra love it, been up many times in many types of weather and by many routes...
worst is Skiddaw...BORING!!!!

craghopper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:59:31, 25/07/14 »
I think i'd have to say best would be Pavey Ark via Jacks Rake just for the buzz,would i do it again tho....not to sure lol.not to sure as to the worst yet but having just done Skiddaw myself i did find it a bit uneventful apart from in the words of AW himself "a raging toothache"
40/214

jacko

« Reply #14 on: 10:35:11, 25/07/14 »
Last time I was in Langdale the queue to go up Jakes rake was similar to the one outside of Next on Boxing day, so I swerved it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy