Author Topic: What is your favourite AW and your least favourite AW?  (Read 37266 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: What is your favourite AW and your least favourite AW?
« Reply #15 on: 11:32:43, 27/07/14 »
Shhhh don't tell anyone BUT If you get to the bottom of Jacks Rake and find a queue a good alternative is the East Gully this is the climbers descent and almost as good as the rake.

jacko

« Reply #16 on: 15:36:40, 27/07/14 »
Done it, nice and quiet, I usually look for my own routes skirting around those which are busy and noisy. I love the northern fells for that very reason, a lot hit the hills around the southern end...and stay there, or so it seems to me  O0 .

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:43:03, 27/07/14 »
I haven't climbed that many compared to some, but has to be Catbells  :)
Catbells, a truly lovely walk

rambling matelot

« Reply #18 on: 23:45:23, 27/07/14 »
A tough question!!

Favourite - Pillar via Gatherstone Head and Looking Stead

Least - Raven Crag, the ascent is now a right mess.

Oxenhoper

« Reply #19 on: 11:35:08, 06/09/14 »
AW himself says Armboth Fell isn't worth climbing and High Tove doesn't rate much higher in his estimation. On the strength of that non-recommendation, I don't suppose many people have been up them.

Thunacar Knot is something of a non-event, barely worth the easy half mile walk from Pavey Ark.  Why on earth did he include such a minor height?

I always think AW reserves his best turns of phrase for spots he doesn't like.
Oxenhoper was born in Burnley but had the sense to move somewhere nicer at the age of five days.

Theo Frum

« Reply #20 on: 13:28:11, 07/09/14 »
I don't think I could pick just one. Steeple springs to mind, and I like the ridge between Ladyside Pike > Hopegill Head > Whiteside. Not a summit, but I love upper Eskdale around Great Moss. It's like a little lost world, high up, but nestled in between all the biggest fells, and the walk in from Brotherilkeld is lovely, past all the rockpools. Some humble fells with great views are:

Castle Crag: Borrowdale.
Raven Crag: Thirlmere.
Keldas: Ullswater.
Border End: Upper Eskdale.
Yewbarrow: Wasdale Head.

Boothy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:01:56, 03/10/14 »
I don't think I could pick just one. Steeple springs to mind, and I like the ridge between Ladyside Pike > Hopegill Head > Whiteside. Not a summit, but I love upper Eskdale around Great Moss. It's like a little lost world, high up, but nestled in between all the biggest fells, and the walk in from Brotherilkeld is lovely, past all the rockpools. Some humble fells with great views are:

Castle Crag: Borrowdale.
Raven Crag: Thirlmere.
Keldas: Ullswater.
Border End: Upper Eskdale.
Yewbarrow: Wasdale Head.

That ridge is great^^^^

Out of the 150 I've done my favourite has to be Mellbreak - the views from Loweswater side are awesome and it's a great little climb from that side too, also the view from the Kirkstile Inn beer garden.  Honorable mentions to Blencathra, Sheffield Pike, Binsey and Low Fell for a variety of reasons.

As for a worst, cant' really say I enjoyed Sour Howes or Sallows and have visited them twice
134/214

rambling minster

« Reply #22 on: 14:42:38, 09/11/14 »
i've only done about 35 so far...

Best: Great gable for the views down from Westmorland Cairn

Worst: Skiddaw soooo dull

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 08:01:44, 13/01/15 »
My favourite is probably Coniston old man. Plenty of exploring to be had and loads of options for bigger walks around. I like Grisedale pike too!
Least fave? Hmmmm... Grey knott maybe?
Sallows? Mungrisdale common. Broom! That's a pointless fell if ever there was one.
We should remember that the books were meant to be guides not a list of his favourites. Some of the hills are in cos he's telling us not to bother with them...

OneGirlandherDog

« Reply #24 on: 11:43:50, 05/02/15 »
At this moment in time I don't think I've got a favourite but one of the best walks we did took in quite a few all in one day. 

We did the Newlands Horseshoe one hot, sunny, summers day and it was the most fantastic walks, and at that time one of the hardest in the UK, that we had done.  The views were out of this word and after starting in Little Town, in order we went up Robinson, Dale Head, High Spy, Maiden Moor over towards Catbells, then back down to Little Town. 

Dessie

« Reply #25 on: 20:12:11, 10/02/15 »

Really difficult to have a favourite. It depends on the circumstances: weather, company, route etc. And some have specific treasured memories like the first one you went up with your kids or the last one with your dog. So I have lots of favourites.

But on the negative side Armboth Fell/High Tove area is a total waste of what could have been a wonderfully situated central range of proper fells instead of a dull boggy midge fest. And its hard to tell when you have got to the top.

Pedro

« Reply #26 on: 20:38:59, 02/08/15 »
Im having great difficulty answering the question. Blencathra? Yes but what about Great Gable from Gatesgarth? And Helvellyn? The Langdale Pikes too. and...and...and I've had the best times around Langdale but that's as much as the people I went with and the evenings in the pub. I have to vote for Langdale but there's lots of good stuff up in Borrowdale too. And some of the lesser fells are amazing.
My only gripe about AW is that he focuses too much on mountain tops. Some of the walks up and down those valleys are every bit as interesting.

tickleandsqueeze

« Reply #27 on: 10:02:55, 27/08/15 »
worst glamara... up down up down

gwfurn

« Reply #28 on: 20:55:00, 22/11/15 »
Only on 61, but favourite so far is Barrow as a less obvious alternative to Blencathra or Louighrigg Fell, both of which I enjoyed just as much.

Least favourite, Mungrisedale Common instantly comes to mind. A less obvious mention to Maiden Moor, just for the fact I was suffering dreadfully from hay fever when I passed over at the end of a long day on the way to Cat Bells back in Easter.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:45:54, 15/12/15 »
Out of the 46 ive done so far Skiddaw Little Man for the views over the entire ranges and Sharp Edge for the buzz and the worse because it is so boring is Binsey a straight line up and back down.  :)

Well after completing all 214 i thought it was time to update my post on this.

Lets start with the least favourite which by a clear mile has to be Mungrisdale Common, I am sure AW put it in for a laugh just so people will walk to it and back  ;D 

It is hard to choose just one favourite with so many great ones to choose from but there is one that has stuck with me in my memories and one i cant wait to go back and revisit. It awaked a craving for the fells and mountains of the Lake District when i stood on its summit back in October 2013 and ultimately brought me to this point in time. It has been the source of insperation over the last couple of years as well as a yearning to go back and say hello and thank you for leading me to this point in my life.

High Pike (Caldbeck)

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy