Author Topic: Your first Wainwright?  (Read 85906 times)

Percy

• Veteran Member
Your first Wainwright?
« on: 08:15:46, 17/07/14 »
This came up in another thread yesterday. So what was your first Wainwright?

Mine was Red Pike - the Buttermere one but I always think of it as the Ennerdale one as I went up it from High Gillerthwaite.

I was 17 and at sixth form. A couple of teachers who were courting, and subsequently got married, used to take a small group of us on walking weekends. We got dropped somewhere along Ennerdale Water, the teacher then drove the minibus to Buttermere and got a taxi to drop him back to us. We went up Red Pike and along the ridge to Haystacks, then dropped down Warnscale Beck to the lake.

This trip definitely gave me a taste for it.

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
Re: Your first Wainwright?
« Reply #1 on: 08:25:05, 17/07/14 »
One of the smaller hills around Helvellyn is about all I recall.  I just know that we did a shorter walk the day we arrived at the YH there and walked I think 2 Wainwrights - not by intent, purely circumstantial.

Rob.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:31:02, 17/07/14 »
As posted in that other thread. ;D

Bleaberry Fell.
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:35:42, 17/07/14 »
My first was Pavey Arc by Jacks Rake when I was about 23.

I had done lots of walking but this was my first trip to the Lakes. My wife and I were staying with her brother who lived in Ulverston and he took us out for a walk. Interesting choice when we had never walked together before.

Both my kids first Wainwright was Cat Bells but, while my daughter was then happy to head back down to Derwent Water, my son insisted on carrying on to Maiden Moor,  High Spy and Dale Head. He was so tired that evening that he was sick and fell asleep almost simultaneously, this did not go down well with Mrs R.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:02:49, 17/07/14 »
Helvellyn...and it half killed me.  ;D ;D ;D

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:20:27, 17/07/14 »
My first was Helvellyn from Thirlmere when i was at school but on my recent quest to do all the Wainwrights it was High Pike in the Northern Fells last September, without a map and compass and straight up a hill without a path with the wife who hasnt forgive me for dragging her up there ;D  On getting to the top the view wasnt great due to the cloud but there was a slate bench in memory of Mick Lewis which was a welcome place to sit. I did wonder if there were benches on all summits at that time  ;D  sadly there isnt  :(
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:29:16, 17/07/14 »
As posted in that other thread. ;D

;D Yoke for me like I said in the other thread

Crikey a baptism of fire. A strange choice like you say!

Hate will never win

fat goat

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:47:45, 17/07/14 »
Catbells but my other half freaked out when she saw the mist descending on the summit so we bailed at Skelgill Bank...so technically it was Latrigg :) Most recent was Slight Side.
You don't scare me, I did the Amble - deliberately
www.westpennineswanderer.co.uk

jimmy mac

« Reply #8 on: 13:45:27, 17/07/14 »
GLALAMARA VIA THORNEYWAITHE FELL JUNE 18TH 1993 O0
« Last Edit: 15:32:33, 17/07/14 by jimmy mac »
........UTRINQUE PARATUS..........

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:15:02, 17/07/14 »
Coniston Old Man via AW's via Boo Tarn route
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:15:47, 17/07/14 »
It was Skiddaw when I was about 14. Went up there with my cousin and dad. We had no map, no compass, just followed a finger post at the start and the path for the rest. The top was a white out and I remember sitting in a shelter cairn having our sandwiches.

We weren't an outdoors family at all, but I was desperate to do stuff like that and get into nature. Surprised we made it back safely....

I haven't counted it towards my actual Wainwright round which I started in 2009 on holiday with the family -Red Screes.

Lindowman

« Reply #11 on: 22:29:22, 17/07/14 »
We went up Red Pike and along the ridge to Haystacks

I had a similar first walk in the Lakes... I was 14 and on a week long school trip, the first day we walked up Red Pike from Buttermere and along the High Stile ridge to Haystacks.
It was a great introduction to the fells.
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time

https://ramblingaboutrambling.wordpress.com/ [nofollow]

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:12:05, 18/07/14 »
 I too was very lucky at school a couple of teachers were keen outdoor activists we used to have 2 weekend away trips each term and one of the summer term trips was for a full week and allowed us to go further afield.

After my first trip to the Peak District I was hooked from then on we went to Lakes, Dales, North Yorkshire Moors, North Wales, Scotland and last trip was the Isle of Man.
Then of course I got involved with the DofE scheme so the teachers used to let me plan and lead the walks for the group.

My first Wainwright was Harrison Pike aged 11 and my first Munro was Ben Lomond aged 14.

My daughter beat me by a mile I took her up Blencathra via Sharp Edge when she was 6.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:33:17, 18/07/14 »

Crikey a baptism of fire. A strange choice like you say!
There is no way I would take someone I hardly knew and had never walked with up there. But, all credit to my brother-in-law, it was a wonderful day. Though I did wonder if it was a bit of a test after I had said I had done loads of walking in the Peaks.

jacko

« Reply #14 on: 12:15:59, 18/07/14 »
Helvelyn via striding edge, amazing and been hooked on Helvelyn ever since...did a tour of the lakes on my bike sleeping rough back in 1982, but can't for the life of me recall which fells I pushed t up?, somewhere above Kendal I think.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy