Author Topic: Anglesey  (Read 17355 times)

1slandmonkey

Anglesey
« on: 21:21:25, 16/07/15 »
Hello people. Have most of my week planned next week exploring Tryfan the Glyders and Carneddau. However I was hoping to spare a day to visit Anglesey for a days lighter walking maybe along the cost. Just wondering if anyone I anyone can advise me on any pleasant places to visit along the Southern shores of Anglesey.?

werringtonwalker

Re: Anglesey
« Reply #1 on: 22:35:08, 16/07/15 »
Given the choice, I'd recommend the west, north or east coasts above the south but obviously it depends on time and transport as to what suits your schedule.  Your definition of "light" also comes in to play.

If I could stretch the definition of "south coast" slightly, Newborough is well worth a visit - including Llanddwyn Island. 

Llanddwyn Island 5 by Nick Lee, on Flickr

You could catch a bus to Malltraeth or Aberffraw from Newborough village and follow the coastal path back - signposting is excellent.  Stretching it even further, catch a bus from Aberffraw to Rhosneigr and walk back - taking in the wonderful "Church in the Sea":

P1020862 by Nick Lee, on Flickr

If I could just beg your indulgence for a moment, here's a link to my blog of the whole coastal path:

http://angleseycoastalpath.blogspot.co.uk/
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

joncombe

« Reply #2 on: 23:50:47, 16/07/15 »
I'll second Werrington Walkers' suggestion. The Church in the Sea is lovely. There was a wedding on when I was there so did not get a chance to look inside, but what a fantastic location to get married at and it was good to see it being used.

My favourite parts of the coast path where south and west from Holyhead over Holyhead Mountain and around South Stack and also and the north west tip of the island, but this is the remotest part.

1slandmonkey

« Reply #3 on: 19:47:35, 17/07/15 »
I like the sound of Llanddwyn Island, Beaumaris Castle and Holyhead.
How accessible is Anglesey by car.? Is it a long drive from South to North. Think I may have to buy a OS map.
Looks like a stunning place to visit. May have to spend a week there in future.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:55:35, 17/07/15 »
Allow around 35 min from Britannia Bridge to Holyhead. At least that's how long it took me. I used to live at the back of Church Bay.  Lots of good walking from Holyhead Mountain along the north coast.  Newborough and Church in Sea is all good.  If you want a day off, go to Beaumaris and take in the castle and a boat trip round Puffin Island,
Solvitur Ambulando

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #5 on: 21:39:48, 24/07/15 »
Hi,

I take it you've visited Anglesey now? I have to agree with the Llanddwyn and Hoyhead Mountain suggestions, and also a very easy short walk up Mynydd Bodafon for views of Snowdonia if it's clear!
Twitter: @jonesibfc

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:23:33, 24/07/15 »

http://angleseycoastalpath.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi Nick,

I've started reading your blog and am really enjoying it! 8)

I'm a big fan of coastal walking and have always fancied Anglesey, partly as it's a fair bit closer to me than Cornwall or Pembrokeshire. (although they are hard to beat, IMO). I've been considering going to Anglesey for a weeks walking in September, so your blog is proving quite useful in terms of which sections I'd like to focus on.

Just wanted to say 'thanks' for posting the link  O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:12:51, 25/07/15 »
There are some Anglesey routes here: http://my.viewranger.com/route/curations/449

They include some on the south coast - Beaumaris and others.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:23:34, 26/07/15 »
Just ordered my OS maps!  8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

werringtonwalker

« Reply #9 on: 17:04:02, 26/07/15 »

Hi Nick,

I've started reading your blog and am really enjoying it! 8)

I'm a big fan of coastal walking and have always fancied Anglesey, partly as it's a fair bit closer to me than Cornwall or Pembrokeshire. (although they are hard to beat, IMO). I've been considering going to Anglesey for a weeks walking in September, so your blog is proving quite useful in terms of which sections I'd like to focus on.

Just wanted to say 'thanks' for posting the link  O0

Tracey :)

Tracey

That's really kind of you.  There are undoubtedly a few miles that are a little dull but, as you can probably tell, I loved walking the path and enjoyed writing about it almost as much.  I hope you enjoy those sections that you walk as much as I did.

Nick
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:31:09, 26/07/15 »
A few more suggestions as you already have some of the best already as a little add on to a visit to Newborough/Llanddwyn have a visit to Bryn celli ddu burial chamber which is about a mile before Brynsiencyn  also on the east coast Penmon with its old deer park and priory,moelfre and amlwch to Llanellian with a visit to parys mountain i took a picture of parys mountain in black and white posted it on my wife's Facebook saying got a great picture of mars more than a few people asked how we managed that!!

simonkit

« Reply #11 on: 23:19:29, 28/07/15 »

For rugged coastline then the best sections of coastal path on Anglesey are between Cemaes and Amlwch and Trearddur Bay and Holyhead (South Stack's the highlight).. dramatic with some remnants of industrial heritage along the way.

South Stack
[nofollow]

Near Cemaes
[nofollow]

Walker, photographer & author of Photographing North Wales

Web: www.landscapephotographyuk.com [nofollow]

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/simonkitchinphotos [nofollow]

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:30:26, 29/07/15 »
Love the avatar Simonkit same lighthouse on LLanddwyn as on mine but from a different angle and going back to the OP if i had only a choice of one place i could go to out of the list given it would have to be have to be Llanddwyn island and Newborough i start by the warren waking alongside the forest onto the beach cut back in to the main car park follow the forestry road which brings you back out onto the beach near Llanddwyn take a nice stroll round the island come back along the beach back to the main car park follow the road out of the forest ignore the path back to warren so you can have a look at the remains of Llys Rosyr the ancient court of the welsh princes you can either double back to the path that cuts across the fields to the warren or walk to the village and follow the road back definitely my favorite Anglesey walk

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:21:42, 29/07/15 »
ignore the path back to warren so you can have a look at the remains of Llys Rosyr the ancient court of the welsh princes
Finding that last time I went there was a nice, unexpected treat. It was only discovered in 1992, so hadn't been visible the previous time I'd walked that corner of the island.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:40:17, 29/07/15 »
Finding that last time I went there was a nice, unexpected treat. It was only discovered in 1992, so hadn't been visible the previous time I'd walked that corner of the island.
From what i gather they have only uncovered about a 1/3 of it so much more to see in years to come that's a nice thought

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy