Author Topic: <VR>Whin Ben, Whiteside, Hopegill Head  (Read 5121 times)

Steve18566

Re: <VR>Whin Ben, Whiteside, Hopegill Head
« Reply #15 on: 06:58:03, 24/11/17 »
Pleas ecould I ask how much exposure is there on the Hopegill  Head - Whiteside ridge

Many thanks

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 07:58:25, 24/11/17 »
Pleas ecould I ask how much exposure is there on the Hopegill  Head - Whiteside ridge

Many thanks
Not  much really, but then again I found crib goch easy
Check out This video  
Atb beefy
https://youtu.be/C9TQlZRRyUo

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:15:44, 24/11/17 »
When I saw this thread I assumed it was a new one and thought surely Beefy hasn't been making April walk over there is her state.

That is really subjective but it is narrow but not a knife, nothing like Striding Edge.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:25:50, 24/11/17 »
When I saw this thread I assumed it was a new one and thought surely Beefy hasn't been making April walk over there in her state.

;D

My balance and strength in my legs has actually improved since the op but I'm not ready to tackle owt like this yet  :)

That is really subjective but it is narrow but not a knife, nothing like Striding Edge.

Ridge is right, it is subjective, it is hard to advise because what one person thinks is easy another will think it is difficult. For me who isn't fond of big drops, this is a ridge I can do without feeling panicky or that nervous, in fact I love this route. On the ridge you can keep far enough away from the drop, if you want to, if you feel brave you can have a quick look over the edge before retreating to safer ground again. The views are superb on a good weather day and the ridge is dramatic without the feeling of impending doom you may feel on other narrow ridges  ;) You won't know unless you try it yourself.
Hate will never win

Steve18566

« Reply #19 on: 14:51:32, 24/11/17 »
Many thanks for the replies

It sounds ok for me, as I thought. Looking at pictures doesn't always show how narrow or close to the edge ridges are.
A perfect example for me, Long Side Edge, which on pictures looks very narrow, but is actually quite wide

Steve18566

« Reply #20 on: 20:54:23, 25/11/17 »
Still planning routes in this area, and a further exposure question. How is the exposure between Sail and Crag Fell please (The Scar)?
« Last Edit: 21:25:02, 25/11/17 by Steve18566 »

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:50:10, 26/11/17 »
Steve, I was rooting through my photos and I think this is the bit you're referring to. I'm coming down from Eel crag here with Sail in front of me.

Sail (1 of 1) by Ian Hart, on Flickr

I've done the Coledale round a few times now and I don't consider that any of it feels 'exposed'

Steve18566

« Reply #22 on: 20:36:54, 26/11/17 »
Thanks
That looks a very narrow ridge with steep drops!

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:03:10, 26/11/17 »
It's a lot wider than it looks, it's got to be 40 feet or more across, and the walking surface is easily around the width of a town pavement and pretty benign. It's nothing like striding edge or anything. Not even close.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:27:06, 27/11/17 »
That looks a very narrow ridge with steep drops!

It does look worse than it is, like Hillhiker says it is quite a wide ridge and you can keep away from the edges and the view of the drop if you want. There are a couple of rocky steps on the ridge up to Eel Crag (or Crag Hill) but nothing that difficult.
Hate will never win

Steve18566

« Reply #25 on: 19:40:50, 27/11/17 »
Thank you very much.
I'll plan to include this as I wanted, hopefully next summer. My planning always has to include exposure as I've had a panic attack previously.
Thanks again

Steve18566

« Reply #26 on: 07:09:09, 24/05/18 »
Thank you all, I did the Coledale Horseshoe (probably my all time favourite walk), and no problems at all

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy