Author Topic: Dartmoor weekend - wild camping near Belstone?  (Read 6677 times)

phookaphooks

Dartmoor weekend - wild camping near Belstone?
« on: 17:54:48, 26/07/16 »
Hello, I am planning on a run weekend at Dartmoor, starting from Belstone, then sleeping @ Princetown and back to Belstone.

Since I will sleep in a bunkhouse in Princetown, I will travel light and without tent/sleeping bag; however, on Friday I will arrive to Belstone and park in the main carpark there, and then I would like to wild camp nearby Belstone so that in the morning, I can take the tent and sleeping bag to the car and start my adventure.

Any recommendations of an area to sleep well within 2-3 miles of Belstone? I am completely new to wild camping so I want to start easy and without jumps...

David

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Dartmoor weekend - wild camping near Belstone?
« Reply #1 on: 08:38:53, 27/07/16 »
Hi phookaphooks and welcome to the forum from another Devon member, in south-west Devon.  I am not too familiar with the area around Belstone, but looking at the map I would think if you head south on the moor, following the River Taw, there should be ample opportunity for camping by the river.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:11:13, 27/07/16 »
As you're completely new to wild camping, not too close to the river if the weather's unsettled, in case it rises in the night!

Please come back on here afterwards and let us know how you got on.

phookaphooks

« Reply #3 on: 17:03:03, 27/07/16 »
Thanks a lot to the two of you, I will let you know about my findings... ;)

I am provisionally calling this weekend "Tor Overdose"... I will let you guys know (if I survive) how this went :)

Best regards,
David

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:03:18, 25/09/17 »

I am a weekend only person. But I think I will have to pass on it Jim.

The roses scream when my daddy prunes them.

..... oh, sorry.  This isn't the "Random Statement For No Reason" topic  :-[

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:54:37, 25/09/17 »
It does get weird on here sometimes!

Enjoy every sandwich

dartmoorrambler

« Reply #6 on: 22:24:22, 27/04/18 »
Hope you had a good trip.
For anyone else planning one, there is a good car park on the edge of Belstone at Brenamoor Common, although the ground there is a bit damp, but at the far eastern end it is flat. Down by the River Taw the problem is finding somewhere flat that isn't very wet!
Head south from Belstone and there is drier ground and some flat areas out towards the Sheepfold.
Up onto Watchet Hill and there are areas of flat and dry ground, but it is more exposed

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy