Author Topic: Fairbourne Railway Walk  (Read 1333 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Fairbourne Railway Walk
« on: 19:40:43, 26/08/17 »

On our way home from Snowdonia I had planned for us to stop off to climb Maesglase, but we changed our mind when a short walk up to Dolwyddelan Castle in the drizzle showed our legs were still saw. We weren't giving up on walking entirely though. We headed for Fairbourne, where instead of being up on the mountains looking down, we'd be down at sea level looking up. We started by catching a packed train on the Fairbourne Railway up to the Barmouth Ferry station.

We then had a short ferry ride across to Barmouth, in a boat that could take at most 8 people at a time. No problem though, there were plenty of them going back and forth so no one had to wait for long.

It was lunchtime by this point so we bought fish and chips and ate them on the quayside. Then we started the walk back to Fairbourne. The mainline railway goes over a long bridge across the Mawddach estuary and alongside there's a path for cyclists and pedestrians. On the way across a train went past, which made the bridge shake somewhat.

It was then a case of following the coastal path on back to Fairbourne. There were fine views across the mud flats to Barmouth and we also got to watch two trains doing a token handover so they could cross over.

As my son said, we had good views of land and sea, fish and chips, a ride on a train and a boat, no steep climbs and an ice cream to finish off - we'd have had none of that up the mountain. And while a little bit of me wished we'd climbed another mountain, mostly I had to agree. If anyone has any suggestions for other walks like this, less than 10km with places to eat and interesting things to look at on the way, I'd love to hear them.

John Walker

Re: Fairbourne Railway Walk
« Reply #1 on: 14:28:10, 27/08/17 »
Nice short walk with fascinating scenery (i love the estuary and, in good weather, great views up it). Your son's comment is perfect. I agree, we need more suggestions for bad weather walks like this, for those times when you just can't face another drenching? Apologies to those who think we should accept whatever weather is thrown at us and press on regardless ;) .
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:42:42, 27/08/17 »
Lovely pics!  Can't beat a bit of coastline O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:54:30, 27/08/17 »
Enjoyed that.  O0  I pop down to Fairbourne regularly at the end of the day to walk the beach along to Barmouth Ferry and treat my feet to a bit of salt water.

Fish and chips in Barmouth always taste better than from an inland chippy.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:32:32, 28/08/17 »
Thanks all, it was a lovely way to end our short break.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:57:50, 28/08/17 »
Good stuff again  O0
Lovely area and one that we never tire of visiting. Stayed in a lodge near Fairbourne and had a good walk to the Blue Lake and also a low level walk round the  Cregennen Lakes. The Mawddach Estuary is great for a bike ride into Dolgellau if you like bikes  O0

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:08:32, 28/08/17 »
Good stuff again  O0
Lovely area and one that we never tire of visiting. Stayed in a lodge near Fairbourne and had a good walk to the Blue Lake and also a low level walk round the  Cregennen Lakes. The Mawddach Estuary is great for a bike ride into Dolgellau if you like bikes  O0

;D at the bikes comment. Eldest and I walk, husband and youngest cycle - they were off in Ireland while we were in Snowdonia.

Thanks for the suggestions for other walks in the area.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy