Author Topic: a really cheap 'waterproof' jacket  (Read 3105 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: a really cheap 'waterproof' jacket
« Reply #15 on: 21:26:00, 04/10/17 »
Aye, I realise that cairncamper  :) .   You are correct, it is coated on the inside with a very un-breathable almost rubbery substance.  It works.  I've had it a couple of years and it's not let one drop of rain in (and survived a mock ice bucket challenge, lol) but basically, it's like wearing a plastic bag (hence the layering system).  As yet, none of that rubbery coating or the seams have perished or delaminated.  To be honest, at £7.99 I don't really care if it falls to bits.

If I was heading up in the mountains and/or in winter then I'd go for something a little more expensive and technical.  A fashion statement it may not be but it does what it says on the tin and I find it absolutely more than adequate for general walking.

All in all I would say mine is excellently made and it has kept me dry in torrential and prolonged rain (but, like I said, sweat is a different matter and needs managing via a wicking layering system).  Perhaps I've just been lucky  :)

zed666

Re: a really cheap 'waterproof' jacket
« Reply #16 on: 20:06:07, 09/10/17 »
I recently wanted a cheap raincoat and decided to take a punt on one direct from China via Aliexpress. Very Very happy with the quality I got for just £16 including delivery. You just have to be very careful when picking a size as Asian sizes are quite random and are usually up to 3 sizes smaller than here, the feedback is usually filled with people giving good pics/dimensions of their orders though so you get a very good idea along with the size table in the listing. Also try to order from somewhere that includes epacket delivery, which comes quickly (usually within 10 days or so), whereas standard china post can take upto a month.

coupla pics of mine, I would have posted a link but it seems we are unable to share links...but you will find lots of cheapies on aliexpress to browse through ;).

Couple of pics of mine:

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy