Author Topic: Phoning for help?  (Read 735 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Phoning for help?
« on: 18:29:19, 18/10/17 »
When hiking I have never yet had phone for help, but there is always the possibility of a first time.

Apart from a direct mobile call to a loved one, using a whistle, etc what the other options?

One reason I ask is that I've been reading about a free app called Zello which a newspaper article claimed was used extensively in the Houston hurricane to help people get to safety.

Has anyone used Zello, is it useful, possibly or not.

I've downloaded it but (due to my age I think?) I just cannot seem to get a grasp on how it might work. Or, is it simple and I cannot see the obvious?

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Phoning for help?
« Reply #1 on: 18:42:02, 18/10/17 »
It's an american thing that turns your phone into a walkie-talkie by the looks of things.  It could well use different frequencies to the UK.  It needs wifi or mobile data or a general phone signal to work.  I'm assuming it needs another phone within its range "tuned in" to the same channel/frequency to work as a walkie-talkie.  Otherwise, it seems like a glorified radio with rather limited channels to "tune into" which will eat up your data allowance. 

If I was you I'd stick to dialling 999 in an emergency  O0

Doddy

Re: Phoning for help?
« Reply #2 on: 16:09:59, 19/10/17 »
Use the Echo 112 app on you smart phone.How does it work?
1. In case of emergency, you open the app. Echo112 will know which country you are in and will show you available emergency numbers
2. You press the according button and call the emergency operator
3. Your position is transmitted to the emergency operator who will be able to see where you are

Features
• No data? No problem: your location is sent by SMS
• Display of nearby address and coordinates
• Field tested by Swiss Emergency services for the last years, available worldwide
• Demo function

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy