Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 39744 times)

April

• Veteran Member
https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/10/19/thirlmere-zipwire-firm-says-consultation-showed-most-in-favour-of-plans

The comments below are interesting. Those who know me will know my feelings on this, for those who don't know me I quote Andy Browns response "This zip wire idea is an abomination"

Hate will never win

stubill

Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #1 on: 00:02:59, 20/10/17 »
It's very easy to produce an image showing the minimal visual impact the wires might have, what it doesn't show is the points of leaving and landing, or the extra traffic, car parking etc.

Another thing that an image can never show is the shouting and screaming that always accompanies these things, so much for the peace and tranquillity of the lakes.

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, as I'm not familiar with the area, but I hate our countryside being eroded by businesses, eroded may be a bit strong in this case, but you get my point.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:32:09, 20/10/17 »
Hi stubill, you are not speaking out of turn. Thirlmere is probably the most tranquil of the lakes, yes its is man made but it makes no difference to me. Man can sometimes make beautiful things and Thirlmere is beautiful. The argument that Tree top Treks makes that it will generate income for the area is a load of rubbish. The only income it will generate is for Tree top Treks. There aren't that many businesses in the area anyway and from what I've read on other forums/fb pages the residents and businesses in the area are against the plan.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:07:05, 20/10/17 »
Let's hope they block this from happening
I wonder what wainwright would say about it
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:11:42, 20/10/17 »
I love comments like
The company behind plans to build two zipwires across Thirlmere in the Lake District said most people who responded to a consultation were in favour of the project.
with no context as to who was consulted or how. It appears it was on the companies own website.

If anyone has a link to formally object if/when this goes to planning please post.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:33:52, 20/10/17 »
If anyone has a link to formally object if/when this goes to planning please post.

Will do  :)
Hate will never win

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:17:52, 20/10/17 »
An atrocious proposal.

I stopped at Thirlmere on the way to Keswick and although I couldn't see the other side of the lake through the clag I was struck by the beauty of what I could see. Can't see this getting planning permission.  :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:39:16, 23/10/17 »
Do the people in area need jobs? Would a zip wire create jobs, both direct and indirect? Would a zip wire help the economy after Brexit? Should the Lakes become a theme park?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:32:07, 23/10/17 »
Can't see this getting planning permission.  :knuppel2: :knuppel2:

It shouldn't get planning permission but some crazy things can happen sometimes

Do the people in area need jobs? Would a zip wire create jobs, both direct and indirect? Would a zip wire help the economy after Brexit? Should the Lakes become a theme park?

Here are the answers GWM

No, not many, no the economy is doomed and bleddy hell no  :)
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:35:08, 24/10/17 »
There is a facebook page called Zip Off. Like the page and you will get updates and news about the planning application if/when it is submitted

https://www.facebook.com/zipoffThirlmere/?hc_ref=ARRspoJ-2UFZmDfRiE93kljseN8GVuorv18gRsq_cOzW7AEaLF9RAcEndJe_-CpRCno&fref=nf

Hate will never win

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:52:04, 25/10/17 »
Personally I would not be keen on the idea but obviously decisions do get made and I often wonder on what basis do ideas like this get accepted? As an older person I am aware that we live in an entertainment age, is this a possible route to get accepted, would it be 'sold' to our decision makers as 'Disney for the masses', or 'bread and circuses' perhaps to get more votes for local politicians, who knows? I know the basic views about being an eyesore, blight on the lanscape, doesn't fit in with the environment, but if you are a person or company trying to 'sell' an idea, to make profit, etc, what unique selling proposition might you use to get your way? Of course we must not forget if the approach of 'greasing a palm or two with silver' might help?

jamiek

« Reply #11 on: 11:32:47, 25/10/17 »
I think the people going on a zipwire won't care where it is, they just want the thrill.

If they want to do it over water, go buy some land and make your own.

Forkbeard

« Reply #12 on: 19:51:31, 25/10/17 »
Going on my limited previous experience of zip wires, this sounds like an awful idea. It sounds like a complete eyesore, nevermind something that would alter the entire 'mood' of the area.

I have nothing against zip lines and went to the Zipworld line in Snowdonia and had no issue with it. It makes perfect sense at the location it's in and has minimum impact on the wider area. The actual site is a disused slate mine, more or less hidden until you're right on top of it. and it's just the sort of re-use of post industrial land I'm in favour of. This Thirlemere plan on the other hand seems like a travesty of monumental proportions.

Forkbeard

« Reply #13 on: 19:55:55, 25/10/17 »
It's very easy to produce an image showing the minimal visual impact the wires might have, what it doesn't show is the points of leaving and landing, or the extra traffic, car parking etc.

Agreed. The Zipworld site in Snowdonia is a pretty big site all in all and i dont' think the artists impression of this one even begins to convey the whole impact of the site.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:12:30, 28/10/17 »
I think the people going on a zipwire won't care where it is, they just want the thrill.

If they want to do it over water, go buy some land and make your own.

Exactly, there must be any number of disused quarries/open cast mines that could be repurposed as activity centres, with much better transport links which they would have needed to get the ore etc. out.
Not all those who wander are lost

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy