Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 39741 times)

Strider

• Veteran Member
Not all those who wander are lost

GeoffB

Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #16 on: 14:41:32, 01/11/17 »
I agree with the comments here. This is a bad idea. And seriously, who actually believes that the motives of this company have anything to do with anything but making money for themselves and their shareholders? They claim that the number of young people visiting the Lake District has declined and their project would help to counteract that, but all it will do is attract the kind of people who just want instant gratification and cannot be bothered to actually get up off their backside (and away from their smartphones) and exert themselves for more than a few minutes at a time. In the spirit of the age, they just want to spend obscene amounts of money getting a thrill with the minimum amount of effort.

If we want more young people to experience the Lake District, would it not be better to encourage them to get out and learn to appreciate the outdoors and the value of physical exercise, at the same time educating them so that they do so with a minimum of impact on the environment? I'm thinking here about teaching them, for example, NOT to leave their d**n water bottles lying around after them wherever they go!

« Last Edit: 14:45:45, 01/11/17 by GeoffB »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:21:23, 02/11/17 »
GeoffB, thank you for your post. It is a very well written one and sums up what most people feel about this proposal  O0

Yes Dirty Tricks from Tree Top Treks who are only in it to make money for themselves  :(
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:08:05, 13/11/17 »
On Look North tonight the news is that Tree Top Treks have submitted their planning application to the LDNP today. There isn't anything on the LDNP website as yet, I will keep checking the site and let people know when it is on there so they can voice their opposition. Surely there can't be many people who love Lakeland that will think this is a good idea despite the spin that money grabbing Mike Turner puts on the plan?
Hate will never win

tenmilesplus

« Reply #19 on: 20:21:41, 13/11/17 »
Great spot April... Please keep us informed.. Thanks.
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:22:59, 23/11/17 »
The planning application has now been added on the LDNP website. It seems I am unable to copy the link directly on here as I understand I might be in trouble if I copy any of the website?  (see the license agreement) :-\ I may be taking the instructions too literally? Sorry my brain has turned to mush these last few weeks  :-[

If you google:

ldnp weekly list of planning applications

it brings up the license agreement, click on agree then click on this weeks applications (week beginning 20th Nov 17). It is listed under Thirmere Activity Hub.

At the bottom it has a link to Important Information about the application that has an email address to put your thoughts forward.

I've copied this info from Zip Offs facebook page, I'm sure they have no objections to me copying it!

Here are local councillors to write to regarding concerns over planning application.

Keswick ward councillors contact information

Councillor Ron Manby- Conservative
 2 The Grange
 Isel
 Cockermouth
 CA3 0QG
 Phone: 01900 829625
 Email: [email protected]

Councillor Tony Lywood- Labour
 7 Penrith Rd
 Keswick
 CA12 AHF?
 Phone: 01768 7725253

Councillor Martin Pugmire- Independent
 6 Brandlehow Crescent
 Keswick
 CA12 4JE
 Phone: 01768 773409

I will keep checking Zip Offs fb page to see if they provide more information of where to voice your opinion.

Edited to add this link from Friends of the Lake District website

https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/Pages/FAQs/Category/current-planning-applications
« Last Edit: 12:48:19, 23/11/17 by April »
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:04:05, 23/11/17 »
There is now a more comprehensive response from Friends of the Lake District, here is the link:

https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/news/thirlmere-activity-hub-application

It has full details of how to respond to the planning application.

I will be opposing it of course, I am seething with anger and have been for months. If this gets the go ahead you can say goodbye to the Lake District.  If a precedent is set there could be no future objection afterwards for plans for zip wires across every lake, tarn and fell top and goodness knows what else greedy developers would think of to rake in the cash.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:25:08, 23/11/17 »

I will be opposing it of course, I am seething with anger and have been for months. If this gets the go ahead you can say goodbye to the Lake District.  If a precedent is set there could be no future objection afterwards for plans for zip wires across every lake, tarn and fell top and goodness knows what else greedy developers would think of to rake in the cash.
Well said Ape, we don't want the lake district turning into another Alton towers  >:(
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Strider

• Veteran Member
Not all those who wander are lost

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:20:57, 24/11/17 »
https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/11/23/formal-plans-submitted-to-lakes-authority-for-two-thirlmere-zipwires

contains a direct link to the application.
If you want to support or possibly even object to this application then you should email [email protected] quoting planning reference 7/2017/2298

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:57:46, 24/11/17 »
Thanks Strider and Ridge for the links  O0

For those wishing to object to the plans, the Friends of  the Lake District has listed areas of concern to focus on, the issues that conflict with LDNPA policy.

https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/Pages/FAQs/Site/thirlmere/Category/write-to-the-planning-authority

Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:20:20, 24/11/17 »
For those not on facebook, Zip Off have a website now

http://zipoff.org/

Reading the page just now, they will have an online petition up and running soon, I will post the link on here, so those that want to object can sign the petition too.

« Last Edit: 14:25:52, 24/11/17 by April »
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:57:17, 24/11/17 »
Here is the link to the online petition against the proposed zip wire

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/say-no-to-zip-wires-across-thirlmere?source=facebook-share-button&time=1511534681

Remember to also email your thoughts about the proposal to the LDNP to this email address: [email protected]
Hate will never win

Steve18566

« Reply #28 on: 19:43:30, 24/11/17 »
Signed, and shared to facebook, hoping many others will sign.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #29 on: 00:15:44, 25/11/17 »
Signed and shared on FB..

O0
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy