Author Topic: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere  (Read 39740 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Another zip wire plan, this time across Thirlmere
« Reply #30 on: 09:54:59, 25/11/17 »

Remember to also email your thoughts about the proposal to the LDNP to this email address: [email protected]

As April said, do both.

Thousands of formal objections through the proper channels will carry much more weight than the petition.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 16:50:10, 25/11/17 »
 Quote: "a world-class visitor attraction for the area"

A zipwire over a small lake? ;D I am quite sure that people with young famillies are going to pay thousands in airfares to visit that "attraction".Surely they would do better targeting the age group that is attracted to the Lakes in the first place,ie,over forty fives.The drop in younger people might be more to do with incomes being squeezed than lack of interest in the area.

The hills are being used more and more by cowboys who are only interested in making a fast buck.
« Last Edit: 16:57:26, 25/11/17 by tonyk »

tenmilesplus

« Reply #32 on: 19:36:54, 25/11/17 »
Well Said TonyK..

Am I the only one that see's these Zip wire things as the modern fad that once was the Bungee  ??

As soon as a few 'Hen' nights and 'Stag' days do them who will go around boasting about how fantastic it was then it stops being the 'latest thing' and popularity wains and the Zip wire will be left to rot and become an eyesore... I give them 5 years if they get the go ahead which means with build time the Lake District will be blighted by the 'Zit' that is the 'Zip on the landscape' will be 7-10 years. Lets hope they never get built in the first place...

Another thing is, how can a Zip wire be a 'Tourist Attraction' ? Surely once the zip has been done a couple of times the 'Tourist' will go home and not hang around ? Who is going to book a weeks holiday in a guest house or Hotel just to do the zip wire ? Currently the Guest houses etc are booked for a week by those that wish to enjoy the Majesty and splendour of the scenery, if your interested in the Zip or Honiston you will only be booking for a night or two ? This means there are going to be fewer whole weeks for those of us who DO want to be in the Fells and want to travel 300 miles, if the only option is a 3 day break, I for one will not drive that distance..   

Or have I got this wrong ?
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 13:43:00, 26/11/17 »
The Zip Wires at Penrhyn and Blaenau Ffestiniog have been operational for a couple of years and continue to attract visitors. Usually these are people who are on holiday in the area. I don't think anyone has ever made a specific distance journey to use one.
Both of these run over worked out quarry land and are virtually hidden from view. They have provided useful jobs in areas of high unemployment.

Having said that the Thirlmere proposal is totally different and would be an eyesore in an area of exceptional scenic beauty. I shall be making an individual objection.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 20:06:45, 26/11/17 »
The petition has gained over 1000 signatures in 4 days
Not all those who wander are lost

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 20:26:39, 27/11/17 »
I've signed the petition and filed an individual objection, also forwarded it onto friends.

Apart from the obvious distrubance and denegration of a beautiful area I don't even see the need for this. The lake district has many similar areas with Go Ape and Honister I can't see much call for another, more limited, attraction in a similar vein.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 10:43:58, 07/12/17 »
Signed, shared and written a letter

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 10:54:35, 07/12/17 »
Thank you all, I'd missed these posts somehow!  O0
Hate will never win

Strider

• Veteran Member
Not all those who wander are lost

tenmilesplus

« Reply #39 on: 23:56:48, 07/12/17 »
I know the attachment I have included here is about Fracking but there is an interesting line quote "Our founding principle is to protect the beautiful places in our care", this is a direct quote from Mark Harold Director of land and Nature..
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 07:52:59, 08/12/17 »
There's a nice drone video of Thirlmere here

http://zipoff.org/why-were-against-the-zip/
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 08:20:22, 08/12/17 »
That is a great video by Tony Stephenson with a very powerful message. The Zip Off page it is on with statements from the LDNPA core strategy documents also has a very clear message. The LDNPA could not possibly approve the zip wire plan or they would totally go against what they said they stand for.

Thanks for that beefy I had missed it  O0
Hate will never win

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 15:02:34, 08/12/17 »
I'm actually surprised by how few people have signed the 38 Degrees petition.

Now I'm a 38 Degrees member and regularly receive requests to sign petitions on environmental and political issues but I did not receive a direct request concerning the Thirlmere petition. A little investigation showed that I was unaware of other localised issues which have been the subject of petitions.

Now the 38 Degrees system is quite sophisticated. It knows where I live and when it suggests  that I e-mail my MP it gives me her name. This leads me to believe that Thiirlmere has been viewed as a 'local' matter and that only members in Cumbria or the North West were circulated. Bearing in mind how many folks from all over the UK visit and love the Lakes, I would have thought that it was an issue of national concern.  

I've e-mailed 38 Degrees with my views asking why I was excluded from the circulation and suggesting that the petition be relaunched natiionally

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 15:12:33, 08/12/17 »
Thanks Penygadair, I get regular requests from 38 degrees asking me to sign petitions for different things, some relevant to me and some not. Interesting to see if they do email the whole country who have signed other petitions.
Hate will never win

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 15:31:36, 08/12/17 »
I get regular requests from 38 degrees asking me to sign petitions for different things,

So you're a known subversive as well  :)

I'll let you know what 38 Degrees say.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy