Author Topic: TR A NO ZIP WIRE walk from Shoulthwaite to Thirlmere Sat 2 Dec 17  (Read 1697 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Last Saturday we got the bus to walk near Thirlmere again and we got off at Shoulthwaite Farm.

The folks near Thirlmere do not want the Zip Wires

We agreed with the sign as we got out waterproof trousers on. We had hoped to go up Raven Crag but it was raining (not forecast) and the cloud was pretty low so we took a low level route through the forest toward the dam.

Castle Rock in the mist seen from the forest track

Beefy on the forest track

They are tree felling here but there was nobody working today. It started raining heavily so we took shelter in the trees and had our lunch. The rain had stopped when we had finished so we started walking along the west side of Thirlmere on the road aiming for Steel End. It started tipping it down again so we turned back toward the dam.

Thirlmere from near the dam

The dam road was closed to cars but was open for pedestrians to walk through so we went over the dam to get the bus from Smaithwaite.

A look back to Raven Crag with the mist clearing from it now

High Rigg from the road to Smaithwaite

Castle Rock from Smaithwaite

Our walk was a short one Shoulthwaite Farm - forest track - Dam Road - Beech Grove - Dam Road - Smaithwaite. 6.5km not much ascent. We both have colds, Beefy has had his since before last weekend, I started feeling ill on Friday so doing a short walk was probably for the best anyway.

I was going to apologise for posting the information about the zip wires again but I don’t feel apologetic really! The proposed destruction of a lovely peaceful valley must be stopped  :(

Here is the link to the Zip Wire planning application
http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=7/2017/2298

Friends of the Lake District have information and advice for those wanting to put their views forward to the LDNPA. Send your email to [email protected] - include your name, address and the date, referencing application 7/2017/2298.

Friends of the Lake District website link
https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/Pages/Site/thirlmere/Category/thirlmere-zip-wires

The petition against the Zip Wires
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/say-no-to-zip-wires-across-thirlmere?source=facebook-share-button&time=1511534681

Please remember to send an email to the LDNPA though  O0
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely atmospheric photos. The first Castle Rock pic looks like a painting.

Absolutely no need to apologise for encouraging people to object to the zip wire, anyone not doing so should be stripped of their compass and drummed off the forum.

April

• Veteran Member
The first Castle Rock pic looks like a painting.

It does and it hasn't been "enhanced", it really looked like that  :) Thanks Ridge.

Absolutely no need to apologise for encouraging people to object to the zip wire, anyone not doing so should be stripped of their compass and drummed off the forum.

:o Controversial  ;D
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics and write up Ape  O0
The first pic is my fave
Lovely atmospheric photos. The first Castle Rock pic looks like a painting.

You absolutely right ridge  O0
It does and it hasn't been "enhanced", it really looked like that  :) Thanks Ridge.

:o Controversial  ;D
The camera lens was steamed up  ;D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Nice atmospheric pics April.

Was Beefy wearing his own waterproof trousers this time?

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Beautiful atmospheric photos April, especially the first one of Castle Rock    :)

I've signed the petition and sent an email to the LDNPA.  It's awful to think of the peace and beauty of such a scenic area being spoilt.

April

• Veteran Member
The first pic is my fave

Thanks beefy  :) I like your new avatar  O0

Was Beefy wearing his own waterproof trousers this time?

Thanks Penygadair, beefy was zipping up his own waterproofs near the Zip Off sign  :)

I've signed the petition and sent an email to the LDNPA.  It's awful to think of the peace and beauty of such a scenic area being spoilt.

Thank you very much Dovegirl  O0 
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
Good report and photos April. Can I ask if it is possible to walk around the whole of Thirlmere? I'm thinking of doing so next year. :)

April

• Veteran Member
Can I ask if it is possible to walk around the whole of Thirlmere?

Thanks Henry  :) You can walk all the way around, there are various paths along the shoreline, forest tracks, sometimes some paths are closed for tree felling and some were damaged during the floods. If you check one of the noticeboards in the car parks, Legburthwaite or in Station Coppice near the bus stops, it will give you the updated info on which paths, if any, might be closed. I think most of the paths are open at the moment, I was looking at the noticeboards last Saturday, I think one of the shore paths on the western side was closed?  :-\ (rubbish memory) but you can always walk along the road along the western side, it is used by walkers, cyclists and a small number of vehicles using the car parks. We were going to walk along the road to Steel End last Saturday it is a nice walk, easier underfoot than the shorepath. The forest path on the eastern side from Swirls and passed Wythburn has been repaired since the floods, I've not been along it since but I think we may be going along it in the next few weeks.

Here is a link to Paul Sharkey's site. He did the walk recently but the Dam Road was closed to pedestrians then, it was open for walkers and cyclists on Saturday. They walked along the road on the western side rather than use the shore path after they bagged Raven Crag.
http://www.sharkeysdream.co.uk/PAGES/WALKS/20170828.html
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks very much April, its on the list for next year :)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Lovely pictures, April - I agree with the consensus about Castle Rock, it's very photogenic and you got beautiful shots of it.  O0

I've not been to Thirlmere  but your pictures and those on Paul Sharkey's site really underline what a disaster the zipwire would be in that area.  :(

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks adalard  O0

You are right zip wires are totally inappropriate here. I was just thinking can World Heritage status be taken away? The Lake District was just awarded this in Jul 17. I doubt zip wires would be considered to be of any cultural importance.
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Finally signed it, though I am unlikely to ever go there.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks pleb  O0 A train to Windermere, then the 555 bus, if you leave early enough you could do it in a day  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Finally signed it, though I am unlikely to ever go there.
Good man O0
Thanks pleb  O0 A train to Windermere, then the 555 bus, if you leave early enough you could do it in a day  :)
And they sell ice cream in the lakes ya know  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy