Author Topic: Skiddaw & Little Man  (Read 917 times)

photonut

Skiddaw & Little Man
« on: 10:04:28, 08/12/17 »
Hello,

I'm thinking of popping to Keswick this weekend. I fancied a walk up Skiddaw and wondered if it is possible to ascend Little Man whilst enroute?

Do you simply hang a left prior to the wall (and I'm assuming a gate) at Jenkin Hill?  Then staying on the left hand side of the wall perhaps you can just go straight to the summit of Little Man?

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers
Lee

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Skiddaw & Little Man
« Reply #1 on: 10:07:53, 08/12/17 »
Not only possible but absolutely encouraged, a much nicer route than following the tourist trail. An easy to find path and a proper summit.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:57:05, 08/12/17 »
Photonut, the wall you mention is actually a fence, with a gate. There is a path that leads left to Lesser Man just before the gate. It is steep! From Lesser Man it is a much easier gradient to Little Man. I agree with Ridge it is a much better way up. There is white stuff on the top of Skiddaw Little Man and Skiddaw at the moment. The Weatherline team say full winter clothing, ice axe and crampons etc should be taken at the moment. You might be ok with just microspikes but if we were going this weekend we would take ice axe and crampons too, just in case.
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #3 on: 10:57:35, 08/12/17 »
Ahhh, Thanks Ridge.

When I looked at the map there wasn't a footpath to the summit of Little Man so I figured it was one of those off-piste experiences :D

photonut

« Reply #4 on: 11:04:05, 08/12/17 »
Photonut, the wall you mention is actually a fence, with a gate. There is a path that leads left to Lesser Man just before the gate. It is steep! From Lesser Man it is a much easier gradient to Little Man. I agree with Ridge it is a much better way up. There is white stuff on the top of Skiddaw Little Man and Skiddaw at the moment. The Weatherline team say full winter clothing, ice axe and crampons etc should be taken at the moment. You might be ok with just microspikes but if we were going this weekend we would take ice axe and crampons too, just in case.

Thank you April.

I think that might just call a halt to the trip then :(  I don't possess any of that kit... only warm clothing, map, compass and my GPS for those moments where I become temporarily uncertain of my position.

I shall wait for a better weekend and go elsewhere as the forecast is now fog fog fog :( 

(Interestingly there is quite a variation in the weather forecast provided by the MetOffice.gov site and that on the Weatherline site.  I think I shall use the latter more often)

Cheers
Lee
« Last Edit: 11:12:46, 08/12/17 by photonut »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:28:48, 08/12/17 »
Ahhh, Thanks Ridge.

When I looked at the map there wasn't a footpath to the summit of Little Man so I figured it was one of those off-piste experiences :D

Have a look on GoogleEarth - that shows the paths that are really there.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy