Author Topic: Rucksack cover  (Read 1452 times)

Lguk2017

Rucksack cover
« on: 17:09:36, 23/12/17 »
Hi,

My backpack is 85 litre. I need to fit tent and sleeping bag under it asnd 110 litre cover is too small. I haven't been able to find any bigger covers on internet. Any ideas? Thanks. Liz

motorlaunch

Re: Rucksack cover
« Reply #1 on: 18:28:00, 23/12/17 »
Gosh. What are you carrying.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:09:58, 23/12/17 »
My thoughts too.
My pack is 75 litres and my tent and sleeping bag go inside it. All I have on the outside is my waterproofs - the trousers rolled up and strapped on the lid, and the jacket folded in half under the lid - and that is purely so I can get at them easily when needed.
Yet my pack is larger than a lot of people on here say they use.

So, for whatever reason it may be absolutely necessary for you to fit the two items under your pack, is there a separate rain cover that will fit over just those (the sleeping bag would still need to be in a plastic sack to be on the safe side) with another for the pack alone? Or for better protection a waterproof bag from the Ortlieb range for the sleeping bag, while a plastic sack should be sufficient for the tent.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:36:09, 23/12/17 »
Don't recall ever carrying a 110 ltr pack.  The honest answer is probably to try and reduce what you are carrying, rather than trying to find a bigger cover.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 01:53:34, 24/12/17 »
Shower curtain and some bungee cord  O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:48:16, 24/12/17 »
What on earth does it weigh :o
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Last Edit: 10:14:23, 24/12/17 by NeilC »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:12:28, 24/12/17 »
For me 50L bag is my maximum, I still have space even when I'm packed for a 14 or 21 day hike. As regards a rucksack cover, all I can say is, do not buy an Osprey one as I did, they tear so easily.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:45:18, 24/12/17 »
Or how about forget the cover and use drybags for the kit inside and outside. I dont always use a cover.

Works well for me. Diffferent sizes of dry bags are different colours so easy to find the one you need too.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

FOX160

« Reply #9 on: 20:03:40, 29/12/17 »
Is your Tent not waterproof! Unsure if I’ll be wanting my sleep system outside
I place my sleep system in a Builders rubble sack inside my bag.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:13:53, 29/12/17 »
OP away for Christmas, or do we have yet another one-post wonder?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:16:53, 29/12/17 »
I have a down sleeping quilt and am always making sure that it stays dry. So I use a waterproof bag, plus a waterproof bag which I can compress down to a smaller size. I also have another trick up my sleeve. Because I have a Thermarest Neoair mattress, which does not self inflate, I use a low tech option from Thermarest which is just a large yellow bag, with a hole in the bottom which fits the mattress valve. I just roll it up four, sometimes five times, and my mattress is inflated. The yellow bag then becomes my third line of defence because it acts as another waterproof bag to keep my staff dry. I have a rucksack cover but only tend to use it when the rain is belting down.

Rather be walking

« Reply #12 on: 12:35:33, 30/12/17 »
My pack is 75 litres and my tent and sleeping bag go inside it. All I have on the outside is my waterproofs - the trousers rolled up and strapped on the lid, and the jacket folded in half under the lid

Yes same here.
I still use my old Berghaus Voyager 70 Litre rucksack, came with it's own rain cover.
Only waterproofs and drying socks on the outside.
All up weight about 8Kg.

Jon.
« Last Edit: 12:42:20, 30/12/17 by Rather be walking »
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy