Author Topic: How my medical conditions affect my walking  (Read 1549 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: How my medical conditions affect my walking
« Reply #1 on: 09:42:44, 13/01/18 »
Well, you've good friends on here, Lee. Your posts are always a good read with super photos and a quirky slant on the pics which makes them more interesting. I hadn't realised just how much you have overcome to reach the level of walking you already do and am full of admiration thatyou are attempting the 1000 mile challenge.
Why not add your mileage to the one on this forum too.
Good luck
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:57:55, 13/01/18 »
Cheers Jac; I'll keep a running score on my posts on the forum.

I'm feeling in pretty good shape at the moment; for all those years when I was getting home absolutely wrecked and needing a couple of days to recover I just thought it was part of the process of getting old...and putting on the weight as well. To be at my physical peak at 55 is truly a blessing.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:58:50, 13/01/18 »

I also used to suffer from acid reflux oesophagitis which meant that if I bent down stomach acid would spill out and burn my throat causing me to cough for the rest of the day - since losing a lot of weight this isn't a problem now though.

Suffered from this condition for the last 15 years courtesy of a hiatus hernia.Symptoms can be very strange due to the vagus nerve becoming irritated and it was by chance that I diagnosed it myself after half a dozen fruitless visits to the GP.Yes,keeping your weight in check is the key to management and for the last few years I have been free of medication and can almost eat whatever I like.Back in 2006 I walked the Pennine Way and for the first few days I survived on zantac and water until my body could tolerate food again.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:38:04, 13/01/18 »
Cheers Jac; I'll keep a running score on my posts on the forum.

I'm feeling in pretty good shape at the moment; for all those years when I was getting home absolutely wrecked and needing a couple of days to recover I just thought it was part of the process of getting old...and putting on the weight as well. To be at my physical peak at 55 is truly a blessing.

I think about 3 or 4 years ago I set myself the same target (1000 miles in year).

One decision I had to make early on was what to include. For example, I often walk into town centre about 2 miles away without changing into my walking kit...and decided to exclude stuff like that.

After that decided best way to record mileage would be to capture basic details on a spreadsheet (Date, skeleton route, estimated mileage, and weather conditions.) One pleasant surprise was that just those skeleton details make it easier to recall general feel of walk a couple of months afterwards.

Good luck with the challenge.

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:25:31, 13/01/18 »
Hello pauldawes:

I'm only counting my official walks, the ones I cover on the blog - I'd easily reach a thousand miles counting walking into town, to the railway station, round the shops etc etc etc.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:51:42, 13/01/18 »
My consultant told me it is an age thing, I'm 72 and for the past 10 years or so have suffered from a hiatus hernia. The only food that I avoid these days are curries, pity because I love em to bits! I am now into a life routine. I eat early, about 6.pm and try to avoid eating anything else that evening. I bought an electric bed to help but it doesn't really help, good for reading in bed though. If I wake up with that 'burning sensation' I just nip downstairs and take a tablespoon of Peptac, from Boots. Its like Gavison, but half to two thirds of the price. For me, this works everytime. Sometimes if I worry that I will suffer that night I will take my dose before I go to bed. The consultant told me that apart from the elderly the other age group that gets this problem are a lot of young people who go to gyms to lift weights.

Sleeping in tents used to be a real problem for me, lying flat especially when I've had a pub meal and two or three pints, but I've learned how to deal with it. I do carry tablets but prefer not to use them, worries that they are potentially dangerous, e.g. strokes mainly. Not sure if this is factual but my GP told me to be wary of them.

What I do do however is before I go off hiking I get a load of large plastic straws, heat seal one end with a hot pair of pliers, fill the tube up with Peptac and then heat seal the other end. If I suffer on any night I just cut off one end and suck out the contents. It works very well for me. Problem now is I'm feeling guilty about plastics.  :)

I used to get muscualr pains across my back as well. My solution was to buy a new rucksac, no longer a problem.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy