Author Topic: The Nab  (Read 2408 times)

Davon

The Nab
« on: 17:46:10, 12/01/18 »

Hello all
Can anyone confirm if there is a permitted route/path on or off the Nab in Martindale. ? I have heard a few different opinions, some saying we are unwelcome and a few paths that are there are private  . Looking to park at Dale head ascend Beda fell and do a circular route descending the Nab .

Thanks
Dave

Strider

• Veteran Member
Not all those who wander are lost

Davon

Re: The Nab
« Reply #2 on: 19:12:38, 12/01/18 »
Thanks  , so no access straight up the nose of the fell . That's disappointing 

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:59:41, 12/01/18 »
I had no trouble walking up the Nab from the public road on 15 April 2016. Here is what I wrote at the time:

Parked on the verge near Dale Head Farm then walked up the track towards The Bungalow for 300m then south across the lower slopes of the fell to a ladder stile over the wall. From there a distinct trod leads to a gap in the next wall. After crossing this second wall, follow a fainter path south along the west flank of the hill for approx 400m then turn northeast to reach the summit. I didn't see any prohibiting signs and, although the road is private, the fellside is Access Land. I returned by the same route; took about an hour up and forty minutes down. This was a solo ascent to tick off The Nab. Slight breeze, cloudy, odd shower.

PS: I didn't see any deer.
Skip

Davon

« Reply #4 on: 17:04:50, 13/01/18 »
Thanks all . Tried to contact the Estate  , but no answers .Have tel number on phone and have emailed them , so if approached I will explain . Is there any months that deer should not be encountered ( ie, young/mating etc ) ??

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:33:16, 13/01/18 »
. . .Tried to contact the Estate  , but no answers . . .
I shouldn't worry too much - just be discreet.

. . . Is there any months that deer should not be encountered . . .
Avoid rutting stags in autumn and try not to disturb pregnant hinds in spring. The rut is from late September until November. Hinds give birth from May to July.

Skip

Addingham

« Reply #6 on: 18:06:30, 13/01/18 »
Hello all
Can anyone confirm if there is a permitted route/path on or off the Nab in Martindale. ? I have heard a few different opinions, some saying we are unwelcome and a few paths that are there are private  . Looking to park at Dale head ascend Beda fell and do a circular route descending the Nab .

Thanks
Dave

If you look at a 25000:1 OS map all of the Nab is now open access. The only part that isn't is about 500 ft South of Dalehead Farm plus there is a bridge there across Bannerdale beck taking you back onto the Boredale Hause track near the farm. So a circular is OK nowadays no problem.

There should not be a problem like there was 30 years ago or in Wainwrights time plus he had to use public transport and therefore not feasable really from Martindale for him. HTH
« Last Edit: 18:50:12, 13/01/18 by Addingham »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy