Author Topic: Hadrian's Wall Path  (Read 4511 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Hadrian's Wall Path
« on: 21:54:23, 01/02/18 »
I tend to try and walk 4 miles each day. Today being in  Northumberland I decided to pop down south to Wallsend and walk
the HWP as far as Hedon on the Wall. A nice mainly town trail 15 miles. Getting my feet thoroughly slathered in oil, double socked and my Lidl backpack on for the first time I got the Taxi to Segedunum. Taxi driver pointed to the start of the walk. Gates were padlocked shut. Oh well hop around the back of the museum , over the road and up on to the track. So off I set on a cold morning wondering if my feet would hold out. I made good time  right through to the new A1 Western bypass and then noticed the track veering off a fair old distance to get across the footbridge. I also wondered why the Romans would have built a wall on the northern side of the river when historically there were so few ford's to get across they could have better defended/collected taxes on the south bank. But hey ho hindsight is a great thing. Then I noticed the high hill half a mile to the north and thought "or they could have built up there". However they didn't  and they left me with a huge detour up the hill over the road and back down to the river. Through a couple of nice parks where walking on the grass was preferred to using the very nice pavement. There were no signs to state that I couldn't. All in all quite pleasant until I tried to get a meal at the Boathouse,  their selection of crisps and nuts was my only choice.  Not realising that there was a coffee house within shouting distance I filed my belly with said articles. On again, passing aforementioned coffee  house and silently cursing all the magpies around at my lack of patience.Then disaster struck, that bloody magpie giving me her bad luck because I had cursed her rather than asking after her children.  I had just spotted my walking monitor flickering.  Then the battery gave up the ghost on it.  Next thing my phone died, viewranger now no use and no means of telling the time.I had a Harvey map in my bag, but hey the path is so well marked I didn't  need to get that out if my bag. I was enjoying the walk a lot , really enjoying it. I suddenly roused from daydream mode when I had to jump over a section  of very narrow  path that  was no longer in existence,  swallowed by the river. Funny couldn't remember reading about this section of path. After what seemed an age I arrived at Wylam. At this point I had a huge row with myself. Why did you not bring your GPS why didnt I get the map out of my bag. So turning, I made my way back along the river to the acorn sign that I had not seen, because it isn't there. However Harvey was quite plain in relation to where I should have turned  Then there lay that section inside private land around the golf course. With left turns leading away from Heddon and sudden rights giving the appearance of getting back on track.
Up the hill to the Three Tuns and on asking the time  I realised the next bus back to Newcastle was only ten minutes hence so a swift half and outside to the conveniently positioned bus stop.

Smashing day, lovely clear skies,electronic over dependance clearly proven, feet  in great shape. That effort to do 4 miles a day paid off.  started 08:30 finished 15:30 with about 1 hour breaks. 17.5 miles mostly hard paved/tarmac.

Will finish this trail in April.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Deolman

Re: Hadrian's Wall Path
« Reply #1 on: 07:43:29, 02/02/18 »
I walked the full length of Hadrians Wall in 2011. Brilliant walk and plenty to see along the way. I must admit though that I can't recall the difficulties that you experienced on the first section between Wallsend and Heddon which, if I remember correctly, was just a case of keeping the river on the left. However I do remember the long steep climb up to Heddon. Great memories of my first LDW!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:52:18, 02/02/18 »
The riverside path after George Stephenson's Cottage to Wylam (beyond the Hadrian's Wall Path) was damaged during Storm Desmond. This must be where you nearly fell in jimbob. There are barriers trying to stop people using the path but the signs seen to have vanished though, we were there a couple of weeks ago. Your post did make me smile jimbob, the wall path is easy to miss on the riverside path, not so much if you are on the Wylam Waggonway. The footpath has been changed where it leaves the river toward Close House, it used to leave a bit further on and you had to ring a bell to alert golfers you were crossing the fairway and there was always a sense of excitement when you crossed it. It is now less exciting, going by the side of a sports field before entering the golf course. We walked from Heddon to George Stephensson's cottage to Newburn a few weeks ago before getting a bus to Newcastle to take my mother and the famous Aunty Muriel out to lunch. I walked in this area a lot when I lived in Newcastle, it always nice to go back for a visit.
Hate will never win

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:44:50, 02/02/18 »
You where in Wallsend? Could have called in and had coffee whilst waiting for the gates to open  O0
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:23:23, 02/02/18 »
HI April . Yes this is exactly what I did. I was enjoying it so much I missed the Wagon way. The muddy narrow path next to the river was ok really just damaged in places. No signs showing it closed. The Close House zig zag was strange but lacking in the thrills you mention.

Bhod do you work in Segedunum?  I may just pop in one day and have that coffee with you. What time does the gate open? Had just filled up on bacon toasties and tea before hopping into the taxi.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:42:06, 02/02/18 »
Here are some pics from a few weeks ago

George Stephenson's Cottage

A robin who visited us while we were having our lunch near the river

Beefy on the riverside path

The Boathouse!
Hate will never win

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:43:54, 02/02/18 »
Wonderful photo of the robin April    :)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:57:08, 02/02/18 »
Wonderful photo of the robin April    :)
Yes amazing

tom83

« Reply #8 on: 14:45:00, 02/02/18 »
I walked the full length of Hadrians Wall in 2011. Brilliant walk and plenty to see along the way. I must admit though that I can't recall the difficulties that you experienced on the first section between Wallsend and Heddon which, if I remember correctly, was just a case of keeping the river on the left. However I do remember the long steep climb up to Heddon. Great memories of my first LDW!

How long did this take you to do? I'm interested in doing the Irish Sea to the North Sea, but time off work is a limiting factor.

Lovely pictures April, especially of the robin.

Deolman

« Reply #9 on: 15:04:13, 02/02/18 »

How long did this take you to do? I'm interested in doing the Irish Sea to the North Sea, but time off work is a limiting factor.

If I remember right I took about 7 days.  Depends on what sort of daily mileage you can manage, some do it in less.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:55:13, 02/02/18 »
Wasn't too happy at The Boathouse. The  fact that it was quite busy but no sarnies etc. I asked for plain crisps and was told they didn't  have any. Would I like "ready salted or cheese n onion instead"?

That path that Beefy is on looks twice as wide and without the embankment that I walked on. Looks like the earlier part of the riverside walk?

I have a Robin in my allotment who comes right up to my feet when I'm digging. Looks a bit less glamorous than yours.
« Last Edit: 17:47:59, 02/02/18 by jimbob »

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:10:03, 02/02/18 »
We walked it over 6 days, walking between about 12 and 16 miles a day. The middle two days are the hardest but also the best walking and views with the actual wall itself.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:41:07, 02/02/18 »
Sorry, think I might have been a thread hijacker with me photies  :o  :-[ Thanks all for the nice comments

That path that Beefy is on looks twice as wide and without the embankment that I walked on. Looks like the earlier part of the riverside walk?

This shot was taken near the Tide Stone, yes nearer Newburn than Wylam  :)

I have a Robin in my allotment who comes right up to my feet when I'm digging. Looks a bit less glamorous than yours.

I lived near Wylam for a few years, the birds there are a bit more glamorous, obviously  :D

Hate will never win

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:04:25, 04/02/18 »

Bhod do you work in Segedunum?  I may just pop in one day and have that coffee with you. What time does the gate open? Had just filled up on bacon toasties and tea before hopping into the taxi.

No I don't work in Segedunum but I do live in Wallsend and my business is only a couple of minutes walk away from the museum.    Normal opening hours through the week are 10 - 14.30 (closed mondays)  Sat and Sunday opening is 10 -  16.00. 
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

jea_p

« Reply #14 on: 10:52:34, 29/03/18 »
I did the path in 2015 and always enjoy reading people's experiences of it. Got to say that Wallsend to the Boathouse probably was my least favourite bit of it as I'm more of a rural guy. Very enjoyable overall though - just wish I lived closer so I could regularly go. As others have already pointed out, that's an amazing image of the robin.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy