Author Topic: National Trust want visitors to dig deep for the maintenance of Pen Y Fan  (Read 7035 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
pdstsp, don't get drawn in mate it is really not worth the effort.

I know I know, but sometimes it does me good to knock my head against a brick wall. ;D

Paul

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Where there's a will ...

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
'almost certainly', why?

I suppose the quick answer could be that it is just the thing a Cirencester educated wannabee county set type, who go for land agent type jobs, would spend part of his budget on.
That might seem a bit flippant, but having 45 years organising horse events at a major county show, has bought me into close contact with many characters that should have gone out of circulation, when PG Wodehouse dreamed up Bertie Wooster.

Some years ago I recall seeing part of a list of corporate members of the CLA, wish I had paid more attention to it. Sadly I do not have the training of an investigative journalist, so I neither copied it or filed it, it sticks in my mind because the Powys County Council was on it and I was more interested in some issues there at the time.

Also during my time of having access to the CLA's monthly I recall reading of their ambition to have the total area of the English countryside within the membership, NT claims to be the largest landowner in the country, so their acreage of land would be well in the sights of the subscription lists.

Also I have known a few of the reps that travel the farms trying to increase the CLA's membership, an activity they have increased to a level of almost desperation since the weeding out of hereditary peers in the House of Lords.

And the chances of a volunteer knowing the financial position of all NT properties...

Just before Christmas last Mrs BWW was cornered by an NT volunteer touting for membership, she was the wife of a landowner and was out to impress, perhaps she let slip more than she should have, perhaps her blood pressure got a bit high as I had no intention of letting her passage to Mrs BWW's bank account be easy.

Mrs Landowner hyphen NT volunteer would seem to think that being close up and personal to the artifacts of past aristocracy reflected well on her own image and that many others should share that proximity, rather than truly get to know the countryside, which these historical characters have put out of bounds for future generations.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
The point i was trying to make, is that just because the National Trust own a very small part of the Brecon Beacons National Park, their members should not be given free access to a large car parking area, and who will physically manage the 24/7 checking of membership, to prevent abuse of the free parking.

The carpark will be run and managed by Powys Council, and i am sure the fee will be similar to that of other areas, such as in Snowdonia.

Does anyone know where the boundary is between National Trust land and National Park Authority and Powys Council land.

Years ago, i remember seeing a plaque near the river, behind the carpark, with the National Trust logo, indicating the land was owned and managed by the National Trust, so where does the boundary start.
« Last Edit: 11:51:30, 28/02/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Does anyone know where the boundary is between National Trust land and National Park Authority and Powys Council land.
Generally National Park Authorities and Councils don't own much land.
In Snowdonia NP land ownership is;
Private 69.9%
Natural Resources Wales 17.5%
National Trust 8.9%
NPA 1.2%
Water Companies 0.9%
Other 1.6%

and who will physically manage the 24/7 checking of membership, to prevent abuse of the free parking.

The carpark will be run and managed by Powys Council, and i am sure the fee will be similar to that of other areas, such as in Snowdonia.
Interesting that the council are running the car park, normally they are managed by NT staff who are the ones stopping non-members from parking for free.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Surely access to the national park is free to everyone though all the land is owned by someone (as detailed by Ridge above). As yet there are no charges for entering our NPs. It's charges for parking which are being contended here, not access, and if the parking is on NT land then I guess they can charge non-members with members parking free if that is the (current) NT policy. However, I don't much like the idea of large car parks in the countryside and wonder if planning permission is required for such development.
I do wonder also if charging might actually encourage 'wild' parking.
« Last Edit: 12:53:51, 28/02/18 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Annejacko

• Veteran Member

Areas owned by the NT are shown on the OS 1:50 000 series with a purple border and the NT symbol somewhere in the middle of the area. Not shown on my more recent 1:25 000 maps though.

and who will physically manage the 24/7 checking of membership, to prevent abuse of the free parking.

It will be pay and display no doubt. As with any such car park you could chance it and not buy a ticket but you never know if someone will be checking for tickets or not at any given time. The new NT payment machines have a scanner to read the QR code on your NT membership card which then issues you a parking ticket for free to display.

I pay £114.60 per year for my family NT membership. This allows us us free entry to NT properties and free parking at NT car parks. That's the whole point of membership!! As others have said some years that saves me money, other times the NT make a profit out of us.
Enjoy every sandwich

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I'm not sure the NT ever enforce their parking charges, has anyone ever heard of anyone being issued with a fine?

Think all they can legally do is ask you to pay the cost of a ticket!
« Last Edit: 20:09:16, 28/02/18 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy