Author Topic: Don't we ever learn?  (Read 7200 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Don't we ever learn?
« Reply #15 on: 18:45:30, 22/03/18 »
The night I camped on the Horton site, went to the pub, had to much to drink and tried to get in someone elses tent. The couple were in it at the time, so embarressing!

I've lost a set of poles as well, leaning against a tree while I packed up. I was half way up a mountain when I realised. I didn't have the energy to go all the way down again so just hiked on.

I've lost hats as well.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:59:12, 22/03/18 »
I was walking along on the downs and suddenly realised I'd forgotten to pick up my rucksack. I went back and it was still there.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:15:06, 22/03/18 »
I’m the same with car doors Phil, halfway up a hill I’m thinking to myself did I lock the car up?
I now say out loud “the car is locked”  :D
Swmbo was tamping when I told her John  ;D
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:17:29, 22/03/18 »
You TOLD her!

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:27:00, 22/03/18 »
You TOLD her!
She asked me how the day went, I was under pressure  :-\

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:38:26, 22/03/18 »
Dare I ask what was she tamping Phil?  :o
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:48:51, 22/03/18 »
Dare I ask what was she tamping Phil?  :o
Picture a 5ft 1” Welsh lady with a face like thunder giving me that look, with arms folded, that’s tamping  ;)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:44:29, 22/03/18 »
Lost around £150.. worth of Boots and Gaiters after retiring during Spine last year, took them off in lobby at Hawes YHA as they were muddy, later went out to get my lift and forgot all about them.
During our munro bagging days we lost that much gear that we resolved to always look back after a stop. that worked fine, but another habit we had when on a summit out and back, was to leave our rucksacks (providing it wasn't more than a mile or so) at the Col or Bealach to save trudging up with it, and collect it on the way back. We did this once near glen Etive, dropped and hid our sacks, then on the way back couldn't find them. We did eventually much to our relief, we then devised a system of marking the path which we could see on the descent.

Maggot

« Reply #23 on: 21:33:30, 22/03/18 »
Not quite the same, but back in the 80s I went to Glastonbury Festival with 3 mates in a Ford Cortina and my mates dad's caravan.  We had a mega-ton of beer, bottles of whatever was left in the cupboard and a huge 'mushroom' quiche.

When we got back to Milton Keynes it appeared we had forgotten the caravan  :-[ ???

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:24:19, 22/03/18 »
another habit we had when on a summit out and back, was to leave our rucksacks (providing it wasn't more than a mile or so) at the Col or Bealach to save trudging up with it, and collect it on the way back. We did this once near glen Etive, dropped and hid our sacks, then on the way back couldn't find them. We did eventually much to our relief, we then devised a system of marking the path which we could see on the descent.

I've experienced that a few times, because not only do I go to great pains to hide my backpack where I think no-one will find it, but it is also a wonderfully camouflaged khaki colour that makes it hard to spot. Consequently I've had some anxious, heart-fluttering moments when I've not located it instantly on my return.

There was another time when I discovered one morning on a multiple-day walk that my little battery shaver was missing, at which I remembered having put it on a bit of a slate wall after I used it where I had camped 24 hours ago. I passed the same spot 13 years later, and it was no surprise that there was no sign of the shaver (I did wonder whether I might find its rusting remains) but a thick sliver of slate that I had jammed into the wall to hang my water carrier on was still there. It felt very strange, looking at what I had done all those years ago.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 23:58:28, 22/03/18 »
Picture a 5ft 1” Welsh lady with a face like thunder giving me that look, with arms folded, that’s tamping  ;)
Say no more mate  ??? ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:55:33, 23/03/18 »
Sit mat, red, on footpath nr Pembroke Castle :(
Front door open - unnerving when I came home late cautiously calling halloo and relieved to find an empty house.
Binoculars on prominent rock in middle beach so I couldn't forget them - happily still there after a couple of miles walking back.
 :)
Great thread - cheered up a gloomy day nursing a heavy cold. Never heard the term tamping before.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:36:53, 23/03/18 »
The number of times I nearly choke myself to death by forgetting my dog leash is slung around my neck and is caught up in my rucksack.  :-[
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 11:42:49, 23/03/18 »
A few weekends back swmbo was working, so I packed my pack, grabbed the dog and off we went. Some 8 hours later after a nice walk in cold conditions we arrived home, only to find the front door wide open, I had forgotten to close and lock it after putting the dog in the car. Luckily my area is quiet as nothing was missing, except my brain  ::)

Done this.. more than once.  :-[
Each time I was leaving for a week of camping. This was before I moved, so I wasn't lucky and was visited. Surprising what they don't bother taking..

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Troggy

« Reply #29 on: 12:08:36, 23/03/18 »
Do we ever learn? No we don't, or at least I don't. I've lost so many caps, Helly Hansen, Sealskinz, Lowe Alpine (at least 3 of them) and numerous cheapo ones (they're the ones I usually get now.)

I think my most memorable fox pah was on a camping trip to Keswick and based at the farm at Castlerigg. I met my oppo at Kendal and then we got the bus up to Keswick. Apart from talking about Everton, we spent a load of the journey congratulating ourselves at the way we had pared down the weight of our rucksacks and rabbited for yonks about the dafy amount of gear we took in the past.

Got up to the camp site and pitched next to a young woman who had brought a smashing big standu in tent, had a barbeque, camp chairs and two massive dogs. We were preening ourselves when she asked how did we manage to camp with so little gear. Told he we'd been camping for donkey's years and had now got it off to a fine art.

When I'd finished bragging, I thought I'd show her how quick the tent would go up....except there wasn't a tent to put up! I'd left it in the house and afetr everyone had stopped lauching, I had to tramp down to Keswick and, courtesy of a Mountain Warehouse sale, paid £18 for a sort of festival tent and when I got back and put the thing up, I was faced with a week end staying in a reasonable tent but covered in a design of butterflies all over the thing!

No, never learn! 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy