Author Topic: TR Day 1 Sale Fell, Broom Fell, wild camp near Graystones Sat 24 Mar 18  (Read 1586 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We got the first Caldbeck Rambler bus of the year to Keswick and it is great to have it back running. It was nice to see all the regulars get on it too. We were going wild camping and we got off at Castle Inn to catch the X4 to Brathay Hill

Babby lambs at Brathay Hill

We walked to Dubwath and by the Pheasant Inn toward Routenbeck. We were doing Sale Fell first. We had a lovely day for walking, sunny and hardly any wind.

Beefy at the start of the climb up sale Fell

We had been going to ascend the Dodd Crag path but I spotted this track going up the northern slopes. We'd not done it before so we thought why not? It was a great route up, if a bit steep in places. We were very hot with the sun so we were down to our base layer, the first time this year!

The route we took up to Sale Fell

We didn't get very long on the summit to take pictures, it was busy with other walkers.

Ling Fell and Graystones from Sale Fell

We were planning on pitching near Graystones later on

Beefy on Sale Fell summit

We dropped down to Kelswick and onto Eskin and up to the Corpse Road start where we turned left toward Wythop Moss. We stopped for lunch beside the start of the path that leads to Ling Fell from the east.

A kestrel

We were lucky to spot this kestrel that had landed in a tree nearby and it stayed still long enough to get a photo.

We decided to go straight on to Broom Fell and miss out Ling Fell. Our legs were feeling a bit tired with carrying the camping stuff.

Broom Fell across Wythop Moss

Wythop Moss was as wet as usual but our feet were still dry when we got to the other side. It is a bit of a slog up Broom Fell from this side. Some sheep thought we had food for them and followed us up for a while before they realised we had nothing for them.

Beefy on Broom Fell

The shelter on Broom Fell has been rebuilt and is very nicely done, thank you to whoever did it.

Beefy getting Willo in the air

Toward Grisedale Pike from Broom Fell

Not that far to go now, over to Graystones we went.

A hurried summit shot on Graystones

A couple who had been behind us on the way from Broom Fell gave us about one second to take a photo. They did move away again though so I could have taken the shot again if I wanted to.

We wandered over to Kirk Fell and looked around for places to pitch. There were still a few people about as it was only 3.30. We collected some water to filter from Sware Gill first then we found the perfect pitch below Kirk Fell. The people had gone so we got the tent up by 4pm

The MSR with Whinlatter behind

The view toward Grisedale Pike and Hopegill Head  from our pitch

We had already started our water filtering while we were waiting for the people to go. I got the tea stuff ready while Beefy got Willo in the air.

We had some tea and relaxed, what a wonderful place to pitch. The wind had been about 10 mile an hour when we pitched but it dropped altogether by 6pm. The air temperature dropped very quickly as the sun went down and we got some extra layers on.

The sun begins to set

We had some wine and watched. It was a bit cold outside the tent but it was looking like a pretty good sunset so we braved it!

The cloud enhanced the sunset

The sun almost gone

What a great day, lots of sunshine, a kestrel, a lovely pitch and a great sunset. We had more wine and went to sleep very happy. Our route was Brathay Hill - Routenbeck - Sale Fell - Kelswick - Eskin - Wythop Moss - Broom Fell - Graystones - Kirk Fell - pitch below Kirk Fell 13.7km with 670m ascent. Day 2 to follow.
« Last Edit: 12:39:49, 27/03/18 by April »
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
Deja vu.................
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

beefy

• Veteran Member
Beautiful pics Ape
It was a great day walking in the sun,
The kestrel is lovely,
Those space invaders obviously hadn't heard about the banned list  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

photonut

Awesome photos April, the sunset pics are just brill.

You had some superb weather for wild camping last weekend. So that is what the view looks like on top of Sale Fell then!!!  Wow

Hopefully Beefy will be furnishing us all with a new video soon then :)

Cheers
Lee

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Great pictures April - Sale Fell is on my "Claggwrights" list - those I have to go back to to see what the view is like  ;D

I wondered if you'd be camping when I was walking on Saturday - it was perfect conditions.

adalard

• Veteran Member
Great TR and superb photos, April - the colours are so vibrant! And that picture of the kestrel is excellent, what a stroke of luck it stayed around for you to get it.  O0

henryb

• Veteran Member
Great photos April, sunset is class O0

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks everyone  :)

@ photonut, video coming soon.....  :)

@pdstsp - claggywrights  ;D beefy has a few of them too!

@ adalard - first time I've ever got a decent(ish) photo of a kestrel  :)

@ henry - it was great  :)
Hate will never win

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Bit of a contrast in the weather in a fortnight  :)  Lovely photos and some tremendous views. Well done April  O0

Regards Keith

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Great photo of the kestrel April, and what a glorious sunset    :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos, especially the sunsets and Kestrel! 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

jontea

• Veteran Member
Loved the photos April, excellent  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

April

• Veteran Member
Thank you all, it was a fab two days  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Blue skies, new lambs and the Rambler back, it must be spring.

Lovely photos  O0

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks Ridge  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy