Author Topic: TR - Little Langdale, Slater Bridge, Cathedral Quarry and Hodge Close  (Read 3456 times)

Seferix

We went on a superb walk through Little Langdale to Little Langdale Tarn and Slater Bridge. The bridge has to be one of the most picturesque in the whole lake district and dates from the 16th Century! The route continued to Cathedral Quarry and its mighty cavern before heading over to Hodge Close Quarry which is spectacular.

Distance: 7.88km (4.89 Miles)
Ascent: 200m (656ft) Approx
Time: 3 Hours 26 Minutes

Full Walk Report Here (Lots of Photos!): http://www.lakedistrict-walks.co.uk/2018/February/02.02.2018_Little_Langdale.html
Video (Some breathtaking scenic shots! :) Please like and subscribe): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDKFu7y8a3U&t=16s

The view of Wetherlam and Great Carrs from the start of the walk through Little Langdale.

Heading down to Little Langdale Tarn and Slater Bridge.

Little Langdale Tarn.

Slater Bridge.

Inside Cathedral Quarry.

Hodge Close Quarry.

Beautiful Little Langdale.

Thanks for looking :)
214 Wainwrights Completed Once, 173 a Second

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCMk8fw1H8m1Mm8jl9kjaDLQ

adalard

• Veteran Member
Just stunning pictures, Seferix - and even more so when viewed on your website as opposed to on here.  I hope people reading this follow the link to your blog, they're missing a treat if they don't!  O0

And I agree, that ancient bridge is beautiful and very distinctive.  :)

April

• Veteran Member
Yes, stunning photos (as usual) on your blog  O0

The sign makers must have got the name of the bridge wrong when they added an "s". It is Slater Bridge on the OS map and almost everywhere else you find it named.

I love this area, it is a spectacular place. Some people think Tilberthwaite and Hodge Close would be a good place for a zip wire. Because it has a quarry. Now imagine going there and hearing people screaming and shouting during your walk. Let us hope it never happens  :(
Hate will never win

Seferix

Just stunning pictures, Seferix - and even more so when viewed on your website as opposed to on here.  I hope people reading this follow the link to your blog, they're missing a treat if they don't!  O0

Thank you Adalard :)

Yes, stunning photos (as usual) on your blog  O0

The sign makers must have got the name of the bridge wrong when they added an "s". It is Slater Bridge on the OS map and almost everywhere else you find it named.

I love this area, it is a spectacular place. Some people think Tilberthwaite and Hodge Close would be a good place for a zip wire. Because it has a quarry. Now imagine going there and hearing people screaming and shouting during your walk. Let us hope it never happens  :(

It would be horrible. I just don't see why a zipwire is needed anywhere in the lakes at all...
214 Wainwrights Completed Once, 173 a Second

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCMk8fw1H8m1Mm8jl9kjaDLQ

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Excellent photos and TR Seferix, well done  O0  Really good video and wonderful drone views. Looked a very interesting walk.

Regards Keith

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Amazingly clear photos.

I wonder where Slater Bridge comes on the list of the worlds most photographed bridges.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Fab photos, the views are stunning! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

henryb

• Veteran Member
Fantastic photos O0  Really like the photo of Little Langdale Tarn O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Wonderful pictures of a beautiful area - thanks for posting.

wildCAMPER

Just done a search on here after looking for posts and information on Cathedral Quarry - stunning pics and what a brilliant blog! I love the lakes when it's a clear crisp day and there is snow on the fells. We recently visited Cathedral Quarry in little langdale and had actually never heard of it until this year despite numerous visit to the Langdale area - not sure how that happened ha! We didn't have the kids on this trip but will def revisit with them

Anyway - here are some of the photos on our little walk in more warmer times!

I have to agree this old 17th century Bridge is stunning

It's great walk and something a little different in the lakes - I don't think I have visited as impressive caves as these in the Lake District. And to get here - don't let google maps fool you and think you can drive right up to Cathedral Quarry and park the car (it does give you that impression) - technically you can drive quite close to them but it's a really narrow dirt track road with little to no parking. Instead for a short walk (ie. if you have kids) park up at Little Langdale and do a little walk form there. Here's a map of a cracking little walk!  

I've also created a blog post to try and help planning a walk to Cathedral Quarry - which starts from Little Langdale and goes over Slater Bridge - check out https://www.hikingphotographer.uk/2020/07/cathedral-quarry-lake-district-langdale.html

Peak

Thanks for posting, stunning pics.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy