Author Topic: Wild camping around Alport Castles/Bleaklow with current weather?  (Read 1835 times)

Meekyman

Hi Everyone,
New to the forum and a question about wild camping!  Please don't bash me :o
I've wild camped numerous times in Snowdonia and am very responsible.  I know it's technically illegal, but I leave no trace, no fires and even try to roughen up the grass a bit where my tent has been.
I was planning a weekend away this weekend (Sat 30th June) and was thinking of camping around Alport Castles/Bleaklow etc. (being vague on purpose).  Given the current "heatwave" and wild fires up on Saddleworth Moor, do you think it would be foolish?  Would the authorities be more zealous in moving me on?
Cheers
Graham

beefy

• Veteran Member
Ive never camped there, although I have around that area
We will be wild camping as usual in the lakes,
No I don't think they will be any more than usual, and no your not foolish
You sound like a responsible wild camper,
If you see or smell any smoke, get the hell out of there  ;)
Have a great trip and post us a trip report with some pics
Have fun  8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum Meekyman

Probably a bit quieter on Bleaklow than on Kinder.

If you are worried about the fire risk, have you considered going stoveless for the night?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Meekyman

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.  Put my mind at rest a bit.
I'll keep my eyes on the weather and what's going on Saddleworth over the next few days and have a back-up destination ready too. 

Cheers
Graham

Meekyman

All told, had a great time and after 6.30 pm didn't see a single person until 9.30 the next morning yet pretty close to the A57!
Made sure to raise my little stove off the floor onto a rock, so didn't start a fire O0
Graham

Requiem

• Veteran Member
All told, had a great time and after 6.30 pm didn't see a single person until 9.30 the next morning yet pretty close to the A57!
Made sure to raise my little stove off the floor onto a rock, so didn't start a fire O0
Graham

As above, as long as you're careful and responsible (and you seem to be) you should be fine - There is a firewatch going on at the moment with NT, National Park and others sitting on top of various peaks watching for the first signs of fire in the really vulnerable areas, but they'll usually be off by mid-evening - What's occurred once in my knowledge has been a wild-camper heading down from Bleaklow at 8AM one morning actually reporting-in a concern to the Fire Service - so maybe the argument would be that its a GOOD thing to have responsible people up there if they're happy to dial-in on the non-emergency number or to the local Briefing Centre number (theyre on the National Parks website)

Roy
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy