Author Topic: Aonach Eagach  (Read 4002 times)

Hillbillymike

Aonach Eagach
« on: 17:29:08, 20/11/08 »
On the drive through to Glen Coe the light was fantastic and I had to stop a few times to take photos this one is of Loch Earn.

I had a great amble along the Aonach Eagach ridge on Sunday. The weather behaved itself and it remained dry but dull. Dropped the bike off at the car park just west of Allt-na-reigh and then drove to the lay-by about 50 yards west of Loch Achtriochtan.

I then set off up the very steep slops of Sgorr nam Finnaidh

and 900m of ascent later I was standing at what was left of the trig point of the first Munroe of the day.

Loads of photos and sandwiches later I set off along the ridge.

The thing about the Aonach Eagach is, it was made to measure for the scrambler…. the holds are just where you need them and it’s just a case of going for it and not looking down!

Looking toward The Ben.

Then it was up and over Stob Coire Leith to where the fun really starts.

“This part involves a lot of excellent, and in places, exposed scrambling, up and down gullies, slabs and chimneys and round and over some little pinnacles.”

Then all of a sudden I arrived at the summit of Meall Dearg where I got a fantastic view of the complete ridge.

I then headed for Am Bodach, the final peak of the day. Thinking it was all over bar the descent, I’d forgotten about the narrow and steep bit of the ridge that you have to negotiate to reach Am Bodach! From Am Bodach I followed a well defined path to the car park where I’d left my bike and from there I freewheeled almost all the way back to the car.
I’m NOT a complete NUT as bits of me are missing!

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: Aonach Eagach
« Reply #1 on: 20:35:19, 20/11/08 »
Brilliant - I can't wait for next year.

greenman

« Reply #2 on: 16:57:35, 27/11/08 »
Hi Mike. Thanks for the report, you have now set me off for this one and will be looking to walk the ridge with my brother  in the new year. Great pics as well.
Thanks.
Greenman.
greenman

Hillbillymike

« Reply #3 on: 18:19:16, 27/11/08 »
Thanks guys glad you liked the report I’ve done the AE three times now and each time it just gets better!

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:14:26, 28/11/08 »
I posted this link in another thread but it would probably be found more easily in this one :)

More pictures from the Aonach Eagach, also Curved Ridge on Buachaille Etive Mor, another classic Glencoe scramble can be found at

http://mountainfreedom.co.uk/pre2006.htm

In the "ridges and scrambles" section

Wet snow down to sea level this morning, here's hoping for it to turn colder and let it consolidate a bit :)

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Hillbillymike

« Reply #5 on: 17:19:28, 28/11/08 »
Some Cracking Photo Ian s, looks like a good time was had by all!  :)

bikerfool

« Reply #6 on: 17:31:55, 28/11/08 »
Wow what good photos, i'n never going to be fit enough to do teh Aonach Eagach ridge.
I'll have to make do with teh veiw from the road. ???

Hillbillymike

« Reply #7 on: 17:55:26, 29/11/08 »
Wow what good photos, i'n never going to be fit enough to do teh Aonach Eagach ridge.
I'll have to make do with teh veiw from the road. ???

go on you know you want to do it!  O0 let's face if a fool like me can do it any fool can!!  ;)

666_pack

« Reply #8 on: 16:25:59, 16/03/09 »
Great post. Im new to the fourm and was planning to the the ridge late july along with the CMD arete. is the AE as tough as it looks?

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:50:42, 16/03/09 »
The Aonach Eagach is fairly staightforward as these things go, when conditions are good, ie. dry and not too windy. You would need to be happy scrambling continuously over quite exposed rocky ground, in ascent, descent, and on narrow crests though. The actual length of the technical sections is not that great and they are separated by sections of walking, so you  have a bit of a breather between each technical section. If going E-W, most people consider the first section of descent from Am Bodach to be one of the trickiest/most intimidating bits.
If you're in any doubt go with someone who's done it before.

It's quite badly affected by damp conditions though due to the nature of the rock.

By comparison, the CMD arete is much easier and less affected by adverse conditions, although in terms of effort it's a much much bigger day!

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

666_pack

« Reply #10 on: 10:57:46, 17/03/09 »
Great stuff. Looks like I no reason not to give it a go. I have to say I'm now really up for it. I think I'm fit enough to tackle them and have a good head for heights (easy to say now)......but if you never try these things you'll Never  really now what your capably off. I like to do plenty of research into any adventure on the hills especially one that will take me right out of my comfort zone.
Although it seem quite tight in some places I think (hope!!) the rush will be fantastic. Anyway it's all in a days craic.
Great forum By the way.

Cheers O0

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:57:33, 17/03/09 »
This was a great post, Mike - can I ask a boring, technical question? You have embedded your pictures within your report, rather than attaching them at the end, which gives a nicer sense of continuity. How's it done? I've only posted one trip report so far with the pics attached at the end using (not surprisingly!) the "attach" space after the message.
Any hints would be gratefully received, and sorry to drift from the topic of Aonach Eagach.....

... no, I haven't done it yet, and yes, I want to, in a masochistic sort of way!! (Done Forcan Ridge, Carn Mor Dearg arete, Liathach traverse, and Sgurr nan Gillean, some of which scared me rigid, but I reckon with the right companions, I'd maybe cope! )

Paul
Leigh
Lancs
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

stomper

« Reply #12 on: 19:32:00, 25/03/09 »
Hay great photo's am wanting to do this ridge for years but need to do it with someone who knows the footholds you don't want to make it 4 times done do you :) I have done a few ridges myself and in May i am up to Liathach

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy